The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
MalibuSSwagon

Re: Electric fan setup on the way

I ended up getting a Windstar duel fan setup, it required minimal mods to mount to my radiator. I actually was able to utilize the original fan shroud mounts to hang it in there.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
UATahoe

The install was much easier than i had anticipated. I did however have to move the thermostatic switch though. It was initially in the back of the intake and wasnt getting a very accurate reading for some reason. So i moved it to the water pump. No issues since. Not sure if there is an air pocket or something in there or what but it wouldnt heat up enough to kick the fans on. After moving to the water pump the fans kick on just fine.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
gmachinz
Account Suspended

One thing to think about since a block-shaped shroud doesn't offer much in the way of a "tunneling" effect, is to add some relief openings in the material to aid in releasing high pressure air for times when you are cruising on the highway. Most factory dual fan designs incorporate this into the design. Basically, at highway speeds, the fairly smallish fan openings cannot move as much air as what is being "rammed" in-so, the turbulent air gets trapped and with no escape, the shroud now becomes a restriction and your temperature will creep up.

This problem is lessened with a tunnel style shroud or one with such a single large openings that air can freely move past with no restriction-it's one of the reasons a large, single diameter fan is superior to any dual fan system if space permits. I build cooling systems for performance so I have a lot of experience wih electric fan designs.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
smallblockchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
The install was much easier than i had anticipated. I did however have to move the thermostatic switch though. It was initially in the back of the intake and wasnt getting a very accurate reading for some reason. So i moved it to the water pump. No issues since. Not sure if there is an air pocket or something in there or what but it wouldnt heat up enough to kick the fans on. After moving to the water pump the fans kick on just fine.
Putting your sensor on the water pump is going to read low. The water going through the pump just came from the radiator.
2014 Ford Interceptor SUV
smallblockchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #30
BamaDave

Bringing one back from the dead. UATahoe, how is the Flex A Lite working?
BamaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #31
UATahoe

It has worked amazing. No overheating problems at all. Even in stop and go traffic during an Alabama summer. Lol.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote