The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
CMACDONALD1

Re: So I run across this old guys truck (502 GM crate motor)

Yeah It is the 450hp version but not sure what generation. Yes it has all the forged crank rods and roller cam but no roller rockers. May add the roller rockers at a latter date. I was thinking about puting the engine in my biscayne but we will see. Just too many projects at the moment. Hated to pass on the truck so thats why it resides at my house now. Seems like a real stout motor though. I love the big blocks.

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
gumbys10

Nice find, that is my favorite body style and reg cab long box as well. Where's the burnout pics lol.
gumbys10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #28
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbys10 View Post
Nice find, that is my favorite body style and reg cab long box as well. Where's the burnout pics lol.

you mean videos of rolling burn outs!!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
CMACDONALD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
you mean videos of rolling burn outs!!
Ha Ha!

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
rollin thunder

this guy is jealous!
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
zook

your 502 crate might be a gm marine . they came without fuel pump and were designed to use electric pump. my 502 has electric pump also.
Either way what a great find. Did you burn some rubber yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Firebirdjones

When the first generation of 502 crate engines came out in about 1992-3 None of them had provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. They also didn't have the provisions for a bell crank/Z-bar setup for a manual transmission.

It wasn't until some of the latest generation crate engines (which I believe they now call the Gen 6) that's been in production for a few years now that they finally cast these blocks for both mechanical fuel pumps and manual transmission linkage.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
When the first generation of 502 crate engines came out in about 1992-3 None of them had provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. They also didn't have the provisions for a bell crank/Z-bar setup for a manual transmission.

It wasn't until some of the latest generation crate engines (which I believe they now call the Gen 6) that's been in production for a few years now that they finally cast these blocks for both mechanical fuel pumps and manual transmission linkage.
i was just gonna say this, gen 5 has no mechanical fuel pump boss or provisions for a manual clutch, a gen 6 does, i also believe you can use gen 6 heads on any big block (excluding 8.1)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i was just gonna say this, gen 5 has no mechanical fuel pump boss or provisions for a manual clutch, a gen 6 does, i also believe you can use gen 6 heads on any big block (excluding 8.1)
Yeah, except I ran into a little hitch with my gen 6 502 last year. Bought it new from Scoggin/Dickey.

Although the mechanical fuel pump boss is there and I had mounted a fuel pump with it's pushrod. It still wouldn't run the pump. On the dyno we used an electric pump so I didn't find this out until the engine was installed in the truck,,,,UGH!!!

Once I realized the pump wasn't working I called Scoggin/Dickey to get the scoop. Found one of two things that could be going on.

Either the roller cam GM installed doesn't have the accentric to run the pump pushrod,,,,or the block wasn't drilled completely through for the pushrod to reach the accentric on the camshaft. Either way the engine would have had to come back out to fix the issue, it was under warranty of course. At this point I removed the pump, left the pushrod in and stuck my finger in there holding the pushrod against what should have been the camshaft accentric while my wife cranked over the engine. I felt absolutely nothing on my fingertip, not even a vibration or any type of movement. Even if the camshaft didn't have the accentric I believe I should have still felt the pushrod rubbing on the camshaft. So I came to the conclusion that the pushrod hole simply isn't drilled completely through the block to reach the camshaft accentric.

I decided at that point (since it was full of fluids and ready to fire off) to just run an electric pump on the truck and forget it for now.

So buyer be warned
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #35
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Yeah, except I ran into a little hitch with my gen 6 502 last year. Bought it new from Scoggin/Dickey.

Although the mechanical fuel pump boss is there and I had mounted a fuel pump with it's pushrod. It still wouldn't run the pump. On the dyno we used an electric pump so I didn't find this out until the engine was installed in the truck,,,,UGH!!!

Once I realized the pump wasn't working I called Scoggin/Dickey to get the scoop. Found one of two things that could be going on.

Either the roller cam GM installed doesn't have the accentric to run the pump pushrod,,,,or the block wasn't drilled completely through for the pushrod to reach the accentric on the camshaft. Either way the engine would have had to come back out to fix the issue, it was under warranty of course. At this point I removed the pump, left the pushrod in and stuck my finger in there holding the pushrod against what should have been the camshaft accentric while my wife cranked over the engine. I felt absolutely nothing on my fingertip, not even a vibration or any type of movement. Even if the camshaft didn't have the accentric I believe I should have still felt the pushrod rubbing on the camshaft. So I came to the conclusion that the pushrod hole simply isn't drilled completely through the block to reach the camshaft accentric.

I decided at that point (since it was full of fluids and ready to fire off) to just run an electric pump on the truck and forget it for now.

So buyer be warned
my guess would be the cam didnt have the eccentric on it