The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
Space Monkey

Re: Aftermarket Headers Vs. Stock Manifolds

Does seem pretty 50/50.
Posted via Mobile Device
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

No one will ever dispute that headers add power and mileage. But they also bring their own negatives into play. There is often gasket issues and bolt issues. Plus they usually crowd one or more of the spark plugs and add the worry of burning the plug wires. Plus they're hell on starters with the heat they radiate.

You can address the gasket and bolt issues. And you can add a heat shield to the starter or get a mini starter.

Personally, I like bombproof stuff that doesn't cause me any added work. That's why I'm a manifold guy. I've had a lot of headers in the past, but have found their advantages don't outweigh their added difficulty.....for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
Space Monkey

I think that's the way I'm leaning too. I want my truck to have power but reliability is my main concern. Anything that compromises that reliability, regardless of the gains in performance, is undesirable.

I think I'm gonna go find some stock manifolds at a pick and pull.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
Rich84

I was thinking ram horns..
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
Redcap

I put factory stainless shorty headers on my big block.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
GM-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
No one will ever dispute that headers add power and mileage. But they also bring their own negatives into play. There is often gasket issues and bolt issues. Plus they usually crowd one or more of the spark plugs and add the worry of burning the plug wires. Plus they're hell on starters with the heat they radiate.

You can address the gasket and bolt issues. And you can add a heat shield to the starter or get a mini starter.

Personally, I like bombproof stuff that doesn't cause me any added work. That's why I'm a manifold guy. I've had a lot of headers in the past, but have found their advantages don't outweigh their added difficulty.....for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree! To much of a headache for small gains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #32
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey View Post
What do you guys think? When I bought my truck she had Hooker headers with a big nasty dent in the driver's side header. They seem to be more trouble than they're worth. They're hot and they're in the way of eveything.

Since I'm replacing them I'm wondering if I should get similar headers and wrap them, get shorter headers, or just go with the stock manifolds from a pick and pull.

Thoughts?
Everybody I've talked to has had nothing but trouble out of cheap headers like headman and hooker. I wanted to use them too, but its just not worth the hassle. I'll be going with a quality set from a quality builder, like Kooks. Higher price, but you never hear people complaining about them.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #33
str8axle55

You could try to find a set of factory stainless manifolds/headers used on the small block 1 tons. They are about $200 ea new aftermarket. This is the route I am going, found a used set.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...316&cc=1053098
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Everybody I've talked to has had nothing but trouble out of cheap headers like headman and hooker. I wanted to use them too, but its just not worth the hassle. I'll be going with a quality set from a quality builder, like Kooks. Higher price, but you never hear people complaining about them.
I've never thought Hooker or Heddman cheap, but maybe they are to some shoppers. I'm on board completely with the "is it worth it" sentiment, I have a set for my 79 only because I'm pushing that engine - have the carb spacer, full 1.6 ratio roller rockers, aluminum heads, etc. - anything that should give another 10-20 hp after the regular cam/intake/carb upgrades. Normally I don't mess with them but they do have their place.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #35
naphtali5725

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8axle55 View Post
You could try to find a set of factory stainless manifolds/headers used on the small block 1 tons. They are about $200 ea new aftermarket. This is the route I am going, found a used set.

those things don't look like they flow very well...
if it was me, i'd use something else that isn't so restrictive

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
INSIDIOUS '86

For what it's worth. My headers get slammed bang dropped and has been raced and given hell. These are cheap headmans too. The header gaskets haven't really been an issue being the same for three years and having lock washers and REMFLEX gaskets has made even the worst warped flages I've seen seal. The issue I find is the collector flange with three bolts is thin so they warp. And can create a collector leak. Again REMFLEX solves this issue.

Durability is kinda moot when manifolds crack and the donuts are such a pain to replace if your lucky not to break the bolts holding it together.

As for burning wires. Well you should no better than to run without a wire loom. Even the ghetto zip tie trick works great so there really isn't an excuse.
Quality wires help for sure. It really is a preference though. Some like headers and some just think that they are good for a race car and nothing else
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
bigd65

I bought a set of replacement FORD RACING HEADERS for a F250 I had. Those were great. Exact fit as the manifolds, very EXCELLANT built. No weaknesses ANYWHERE. I wish CHEVROLET or SOME AFTER MARKET COMPANY would make something of this quality for Chevy SB and BB. With that said, I have manifolds on my 87, I do not want the head ache of these aftermarket headers. Just an opinion. Been there and done that.
Posted via Mobile Device
bigd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #38
bigd65

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8axle55 View Post

I actually put these on my 85 I built awhile back. I must say, I did like them. As as flow, can anyone REALLY tell if there is a difference in flow between headers,, manifolds , of these... The sound may be the more you hear rather than the feel. Anyways, I like them because they kind of cleaned up the exhaust area. And people would say, WHAT THE HECK ARE THOSE, not many people have ever heard of these
Posted via Mobile Device
bigd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #39
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd65 View Post
I actually put these on my 85 I built awhile back. I must say, I did like them. As as flow, can anyone REALLY tell if there is a difference in flow between headers,, manifolds , of these... The sound may be the more you hear rather than the feel. Anyways, I like them because they kind of cleaned up the exhaust area. And people would say, WHAT THE HECK ARE THOSE, not many people have ever heard of these
Posted via Mobile Device
The flow and scavenging are still huge differences. On a low performance low compression dog headers won't help much other than a little bit of mileage
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #40
str8axle55

I think if you`re thinking about headers or cast manifolds, the factory stainless are a good compromise. Take out the A.I.R. fitting bungs, and weld them up. I`m sure these outflow cast iron stockers. You could also try a set of factory stainless Vette L-98 manifolds. They are basically stainless Ram`s horns.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #41
special-K
Special Order

I generally run headers and have been for 40 years. I have never had any of the issues I hear people rag on them over. I have run a set of headers for as long as 16 years without a hitch. The headers on my '72 have been on their since '04,so far so good...nada but great flowing exhaust. I don't notice extra noise from headers. Mufflers handle the noise anyway. Ironically,the two trucks I did run with manifolds both had fatigue problems. One rams horn blew out where they collect and the other cracked in twp just below where it went into one pipe. I hate dealing with the studs and donut gaskets far more than replacing collector gaskets

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote