The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
GRADYS Performance

Re: Ask me anything about a 4L80e swap using standalone controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
that is a good question prob could get a ls engine and trans for the same as the trans and controller or at least a vortec. that said od is better than no od.
I need the power and torque of the 454 for the weight that I pull. Late model would be comparable to 8.1 Litre not LS Series. I want to improve the fuel milelage with the OD and LockUp Torque Converter. I want this to look like it came from the factory. I have the trans complete with the Mechanical Speedometer gears conversion installed. It is ready to put in the truck I just need to make sure of how the crossmember fits.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

well you have the 6.0 and 6.2 thats comparable to 454 prob more powerful but i get what your saying you want it to look that look under the hood. im not downing just was asking.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
meatwagon83

niether of those engines come anywhere near the torque of a 454, horsepower yes, torque ,no
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #29
bilfman

Cleansquare next look into an msd ecurve dizzy. Pricy but in my opinion well worth the $$$. Can tailor your advance curve to your truck and how you drive, really optimizes your hp.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
niether of those engines come anywhere near the torque of a 454, horsepower yes, torque ,no
i dont want to be this guy but the carbed 454 in the squares only made 385 ft lbs the lowest tq rated 6.0 was a 99 it made 360 ft the later ones made 380 ft. the 6.2 makes 417 ft lbs. a vortec makes about 400 and ls6 from 70 made 450 for reference.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #31
GRADYS Performance

Quote:
i dont want to be this guy but the carbed 454 in the squares only made 385 ft lbs the lowest tq rated 6.0 was a 99 it made 360 ft the later ones made 380 ft. the 6.2 makes 417 ft lbs. a vortec makes about 400 and ls6 from 70 made 450 for reference.
I don't know about the ratings but 2 problems with the LS Swap. The 4L60 series trans can't be towed in Overdrive and I doubt the LS motors can pull 20 to 25K GVCW like a 454. Thats why the heavy duty newer trucks use the 8.1L motors.

I hvae the 4L80E trans complete and it's almost a bolt in swap for the TH400.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

the 4l80e comes behind the 6.0 in the hd trucks and the 6l80e behind the 6.2. the 8.1 hasnt been offered in a hd since 06. the newer ones are rated at 18k in the dually so that puts them at gvcw at 34k. if you or the op wants it to look original thats fine but the 6.0 is leaps and bounds when towing a trailer better at it otherwise gm wouldnt have dropped it or the 8.1.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #33
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

24k typo...but still a square was never rated that high unless you talking about c50 or something. Lastly a 60e can tow in od. Pulled many times w my dads 01. Tow haul mode is all I ever use. No way to lock it out of od unless you go to 3rd.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
GRADYS Performance

Quote:
24k typo...but still a square was never rated that high unless you talking about c50 or something. Lastly a 60e can tow in od. Pulled many times w my dads 01. Tow haul mode is all I ever use. No way to lock it out of od unless you go to 3rd.
I have never towed with a late model vehicle so I don't know about the power of the 6.0L & 6.2L. I think you have to keep in mind that the GM engine of choice now for Heavy Duty towing is a Duramax.

Either way I have a very Clean Low Mileage 85 Suburban, under 100K that has never been driven in salt or snow that I am upgrading the transmission to a HD Overdrive and Lock up Converter. Just wanted to figure out the exact details on the crossmember. What pictures I have seen show the mount bolted under the frame which is not the correct way to do it.

I do know transmissions as I have built Performance transmissions for 30 years. You cannot tow any kind of heave load with a TH700R4/4L60/4L60E series transmission. They are not heavy enough to hold up to continued use pulling heavy loads. They are based on TH350 internal parts, The 4L80E is based on TH400 internal parts.

So even though a late model drivetrain is interesting it is not the direction I am looking at for my Suburban at this time.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

i perfectly understand that man i was jus pointing out the facts. i have a duramax but i know many that use the larger ls engines including a moble home movers. there quite capable. a 4l60e though will tow in its half ton limits which is about 8k behind it. i pulled cars all the time with my 01. it lasted a 170k before i had to rebuild it. broke it do to added hp and tq though not from towing. like i said i can understand reason for not changing it thats why i asked. good luck with it and i want to see it all finished up.

Last edited by nekkidhillbilly; 12-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
BigBlocksRule

Why not late 90's injection? It's port injection for large oval port heads but can work on peanut ports since the opening is actually sized between the two. Aluminum intake suitable for boost. Painless makes a kit to drop it in that includes the 4L80E. You can even repin them to run on the 411 PCM to get the tunability of an LS engine. Intakes are available from time to time on craiglist and sleazebay. Don't run stock injectors, they've been known to stick open and hydrolock engines.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #37
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

that would be the vortec 454. be cheap to find a junk pre 01 hd and pull it the 80e and the ecm. would be about the same work as swapping a ls but prob a little cheaper to buy. the only downside is the mpg of the 454v vs the ls and the 454 is down on power by about 50-100 hp depending on the version. i think though hes trying to stay away from a new engine though. yes the efi engines have more get up and cost about the same as his 80e and controller but i will agree there not attractive to look at engines. i will agree nothing looks better than a classic carbed engine. i can understand what hes doing which is why i asked had he considered the new engines. gradys next time your out and see 01 up hd trucks like box trucks or tool trucks look and see if it has the dmax badge on the door in 01-07 or hood 07 up. if not most of the them will be a one of the large ls engines. the 8.1 wasnt very common at all prob due to the fact it made very little more power than the ls and cost as much a the diesel. like the power company and pepsi corp trucks are gas.

Last edited by nekkidhillbilly; 12-23-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #38
king-918

Funny I wasn't trying to start an all out war of words. I asked because I have a 99 I'm thinking about scraping but keeping the 5.3 and tranny to boost. Just figured you may of uad a modified engine you didn't want to get rid of.

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
BONUSCAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
compression fittings are a no no my friend, so is that copper line...

compression fittings are NOT designed for pressures in an automatic transmission, and copper lines WILL crack due to vibration.

Sorry
Desert

Compression fittings are fine on a trans cooler line. The term "line pressure" you hear a lot in reference to automatic transmissions, has nothing to do with the pressure in the trans cooler lines.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
BigBlocksRule

I don't consider the '96 - '99 454's to be "late" since it's still a conventional big block. But I understand if he doesn't like the look - pretty, they ain't.

One of the best looking and cleanest looking engines I've ever seen is an LS with relocated coil packs (underheader wires) and a single plane intake with carb.

One other thing to consider is the new throttle body injection systems made by several manufacturers. Look like old school carb, perform like EFI.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #41
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

yeah there not going to perform like a multi port with tbi. well in that sense the ls engines arent late engines either 16 years now but both have modern efi set ups. you could also use the tbi off a pre 96 truck. it has advantages over the carb but still wont get the mpg or power of mpfi. but cost factored in your best bang for the buck is a 6.0. oh btw you had 454s in 00 the hds didnt change till 01 (well you had a light duty 2500 in 99-00 but still had the old body style 2500 and 3500 also.)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #42
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
Funny I wasn't trying to start an all out war of words. I asked because I have a 99 I'm thinking about scraping but keeping the 5.3 and tranny to boost. Just figured you may of uad a modified engine you didn't want to get rid of.
not a war we just talking.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #43
bilfman

Thread is officially hijacked.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #44
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

sorry
Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
GRADYS Performance

I was just hoping the Original Poster could provide a detailed description of what he had to do to the transmission crossmember in his truck to mount the 4L80E in his truck because he has the exact same application as mine.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #46
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

cant you slide it back and re drill it?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #47
GRADYS Performance

Quote:
cant you slide it back and re drill it?
It looks like that is what I need to do. I do not know if the frame is the same dimension all the way back and if it will change the angle of the drivetrain. Looks like I will just have to measure the drivetrain angle before and after I move it. and position the mount based on that.

The original poster has not answered a PM and does not look like he has been online for several months.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #48
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post
It looks like that is what I need to do. I do not know if the frame is the same dimension all the way back and if it will change the angle of the drivetrain. Looks like I will just have to measure the drivetrain angle before and after I move it. and position the mount based on that.

The original poster has not answered a PM and does not look like he has been online for several months.
You should be able to slide it back a few inches & not have a drastic impact on the angles since the C/L of the output shaft should be @ a similar (same) height. I know I made my own trans x-member for my CC dually from a 1/2 ton aftermarket unit. I checked to make sure I had room to also use it w/an OD set-up if that opportunity arrived.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #49
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Super late but yes, I justmoved the crossmember and drilled holes and bolted it in. Piece of cake.
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #50
GRADYS Performance

CleanSquare, How much did you have to shorten the driveshaft? I am coming up with 3.5 to 3.625 inches.