The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
dubie

Re: What's it Worth?? ('57 3200 Long Bed)

good for you man, that's a good score at $1200. It looks like it's all there!

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
good for you man, that's a good score at $1200. It looks like it's all there!
Thanks, dubie. I'm pretty excited. Now I just need the money and time to do all the things I have in mind!
fnsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
dubie

once you get a plan in mind and a dollar figure you want to spend, double everything. It'll take you double the time and cost twice as much as you expect. I speak from experience my friend. But it really is an enjoyable ride for the most part

Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
fnsteffen

I know what you mean. I'm on the tail-end of my first rebuild (1971 El Camino), and it definitely took a lot more than expected. Luckily, I won't be worrying about body work as much on this truck, but there is a whole new list of obstacles on a 60 yr old vehicle, so I know it won't be easy.

One thing I can guarantee is that I'll be on this forum a ton and be asking loads and loads of questions. Thanks for your help so far, and thanks in advance for what's yet to come!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
Dan in Pasadena

Fnsteffen,
EDITED: Beause I'm an idiot and didn't read that you HAVE experience. Lol

Great! I LOVE hearing/helping guys getting into our old truck hobby. Guys here have been very helpful to me, I want to pay it forward.

That will be a fun project when you get it.
Remember:
1. Make It Stop
2. Make It Go
3. Make It Cool
In that order. Post photos!! and huge congratulations!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
dubie

Ask away. This forum is FULL of knowledge and it's right at your finger tips

Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
Daze57

good lookin ol' truck - i think you can make a cool driver out it - hope you get it - keep us informed
btw you took some very nice pictures .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
Rednek13x

Man this truck looks IDENTICAL to mine when i bought it for 1300 two years ago in minnesota. With some CLR, Scotch bright, power washer, Simple Green and some elbow grease it has really cleaned up nice. Power wash and scrub the inside of the cab, i just did that a few weeks ago and shot some POR15 onto the cab floor and it already looks 100 times better in there.
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
Dan in Pasadena

Fnsteffen - Can we just call you F'ing Steve instead? Lol.

If you don't already know about it, search here or Google "Peel 'n Seal". It's an asphaltic/metal sheet roofing product available at Home Depot & Lowes.

My opinion? Ignore all the naysayers that question if it'll smell like asphalt, there are LOTS of testimonials online saying it doesn't. It seals out noise and heat nearly as well as Dynamat at a fraction of the cost. Goes a long way toward making these old vehicles much nicer to drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #35
rgunlock

Truck looks fairly solid and complete. Windshield looks good. With a clear title as you said earlier, I think $1200 is a really good price around here. Good luck with it!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Fnsteffen,
EDITED: Beause I'm an idiot and didn't read that you HAVE experience. Lol

Great! I LOVE hearing/helping guys getting into our old truck hobby. Guys here have been very helpful to me, I want to pay it forward.

That will be a fun project when you get it.
Remember:
1. Make It Stop
2. Make It Go
3. Make It Cool
In that order. Post photos!! and huge congratulations!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan,

I read your post before editing, and I definitely understand your concern. This place is full of friendly, helpful people trying to share their knowledge with newbies, and it ticks me off when people take advantage of that.

To answer your question, yes, I am a "younger" guy (28). The El Camino was my first project, and I've been working on that for around 6 years. I have been growing my tool collection over that time, but there are plenty of things I haven't been able to purchase. For the tools (and experience) I don't have just yet, I try to barter with friends and acquaintances more knowledgeable than I. And, if that fails, I get as many referrals as possible. One thing I can say for sure is that I don't take any help for granted, and I certainly don't blow off advice.

That being said, I will warn that I don't have a lifestyle that lets me do this kind of stuff quickly. I work way too much, and I also run a side business for my other hobby (woodworking). Plus I'm a newlywed trying to put aside money for building a family soon. So this pickup will not be something I have turned around in the next few months or anything like that. Just want to let everyone know that, while I will definitely be scouring this forum and contributing as much as I'm able, my progress will be slow.

Really looking forward to becoming part of this online community, and I appreciate all the advice and well-wishes!!

FnSteffen
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #37
G&R's57GMC

Congrats !

Well you said it you have a theme " So & So Ranch" or "Ichabod Farms" or what ever you come up with, I can see it on the door now or on the sideboards aged to perfection
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Dan in Pasadena

I apologize for comimg off as suspicious and judgemental. NOTHING you wrote merited it at all.

You're young and I envy you that but it doesn't sound like you're a "kid". Sounds like you're making your own way - good on you for it. Congrats.

You never have to apologize for how long it takes to do a build around here. Only Delmo (seems) to build a truck in 2 weeks. The rest of us do it as time and budget allow.

I plan to really enjoy your build vicariously. Best to you & yours, Dan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #39
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
good lookin ol' truck - i think you can make a cool driver out it - hope you get it - keep us informed
btw you took some very nice pictures .
Thanks! I was pretty pleased with the pictures too, considering they were taken from my phone. Thanks also for the encouragement on the pickup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x
Man this truck looks IDENTICAL to mine when i bought it for 1300 two years ago in minnesota. With some CLR, Scotch bright, power washer, Simple Green and some elbow grease it has really cleaned up nice. Power wash and scrub the inside of the cab, i just did that a few weeks ago and shot some POR15 onto the cab floor and it already looks 100 times better in there.
Dude, you should NOT have said that. I'm going to bug the HELL out of you when I get started on this thing! Do you have any pics you can share of the before and after??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena
Fnsteffen - Can we just call you F'ing Steve instead? Lol.

If you don't already know about it, search here or Google "Peel 'n Seal". It's an asphaltic/metal sheet roofing product available at Home Depot & Lowes.
Haha, you cracked the code! My name is Steffen, and F'n Steffen was my nickname in college.

Regarding Peel 'n Seal, I actually used that exact thing when I re-did the Camino interior. I learned about it on an El Camino forum that I became really involved in and ended up using Peel 'n' Seal along with closed cell foam under the carpet, in the doors, and on the firewall. Worked great, and no asphalt smell at all! Those are the kinds of tips that make places like these invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock
Truck looks fairly solid and complete. Windshield looks good. With a clear title as you said earlier, I think $1200 is a really good price around here. Good luck with it!
Thanks. The windshield is in pretty good shape, but there is a 3-4" star on the top corner of the passenger side. I don't know much about glass, but it seems like it's past the point of repair, and I definitely expect that it would spread once I start driving. How much do those windshields generally go for? I bet the curved glass is pretty high...

-FnSteffen
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #40
Russell Ashley

Congratulations, looks like you got a great deal on that truck.

Also, congratulations on being a newlywed. You are getting the marriage started off right: Honey, I bought an old truck, you're gonna love it...
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #41
Dan in Pasadena

Steffen, if you're on a budget (who isn't?) you MAY be able to get one of those guys that injects a resin under a vacuum to fix that star. Of course of your windshield rubber is rock hard and cracked or you suspect cancerous rust, pull it and go with new. I'd strongly recommend Steele Rubber Co. I've never read a single negative review of their stuff.

On that closed cell foam you mentioned on your Elco, was that foam only or that stuff with the silver metallic stuff on one side? I've wondered about just using two layers of P&S?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-14-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Congrats !

Well you said it you have a theme " So & So Ranch" or "Ichabod Farms" or what ever you come up with, I can see it on the door now or on the sideboards aged to perfection
Heck yeah! I'm already trying to come up with a cool logo. There's actually a pretty great story to go along with this truck, so I think I've got the "ranch name" figured out, but I'll save all that for another thread. I'll definitely be looking through your post history to find tips on making a great logo.

Quote:
I apologize for comimg off as suspicious and judgemental. NOTHING you wrote merited it at all.
No worries, Dan. Like you mentioned before, there are always flaky people willing to waste other people's time and not think twice, so I don't blame you at all for asking the question (especially since I'm such a new member to the forum).

I appreciate the kind words, though, and I look forward to getting to know you (and everyone else around here) a lot better!

-FnSteffen
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #43
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
You are getting the marriage started off right: Honey, I bought an old truck, you're gonna love it...
Haha, you said it! Don't forget to throw in a "honey, you can't park your car in the garage anymore" to boot!

Actually, she's a great sport when it comes to this stuff. The Camino was our drive-away car at the wedding, and she's really excited about seeing the finished product on this one. Getting her out to the garage to help is another story, but hey, you can't win 'em all.

Quote:
Steffen, if you're in a budget (who isn't?) you MAY be able to get one if those guys that injects a resin under a vacuum to fix that star. Of course of your windshield rubber is Rick hard and cracked or you suspect cancerous rust, pull it and go with new. I'd strongly recommend Steele Rubber Co. I've never read a single negative review of their stuff.
Good call. I'll be sure to check that out when the time comes.

Quote:
On that closed cell foam you mentioned on your Elco, was that foam only or that stuff with the silver metallic stuff on one side? I've wondered about just using two layers of P&S?
The foam I used over the P&S was actually an "anti-fatigue mat" from Lowes. They don't sell it anymore, but it was basically a roll of 3/4" thick closed cell foam that was almost identical to actual sound deadeners. The reason I used that in addition to the P&S was because they do different things and handle different sound frequencies. The asphalt tape is considered a "sound absorber". It takes the rattles and oil-canning noises out of the panels, and it helps with middle to high frequencies. Closed cell foam, on the other hand, is considered a "sound blocker" and helps with lower frequencies. I also put a layer of mass loaded vinyl over the foam, which helps block even more frequencies. There's a website that goes into all of this stuff, and it helped me a bunch (Sound Deadener Showdown). Lots of good info!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I've read that website a few times.

Wow, PnS + 3/4" foam + another layer? Sure you didn't sell the El Camino because you didn't fit in it anymore?

I don't THINK I'd want to use something 3/4" thick. At least not if it makes the floor feel "squishy". But I have thought about using something over the PnS and I also have thought about using Lizardskin UNDER the cab floor. Time enough to think about all that stuff later. My plate's full with other stuff right now.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
fnsteffen

Haha, almost!

Actually, that foam just replaced the carpet pad jute that came from the factory, so the thickness was about the same. The third layer I mentioned was just a thin vinyl lining per a suggestion from that website. Overall, the carpet fits like normal, and it isn't squishy. And it's quiet as all get out inside. Plus, the weight of the foam inside the doors gives them a really satisfying "thunk" when they close. Overall, I definitely recommend.

Also, just for clarity's sake, I haven't sold the Camino, and I don't really have any plans to. I'm pretty sentimental by nature, and there are just way too many memories tied to that vehicle to part with it. Something tells me this truck is going to be the same way by the time I'm done. Looks like I need to start saving for a barn too!

-Steffen
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #46
Truck Guy99

I love the idea you have. I love that sleeper look. Beat up farm truck on the outside, but packing a powerhouse of a motor within. Did you get it? Any new updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #47
fnsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99 View Post
I love the idea you have. I love that sleeper look. Beat up farm truck on the outside, but packing a powerhouse of a motor within. Did you get it? Any new updates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it too. Though, I'm not sure how much of a powerhouse the straight-6 will be. I've got the Camino for going fast, so I'm more interested in just having a nice cruiser.

I'm definitely getting it, though. Should have it home in a few weeks.

-Steffen
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
Truck Guy99

Sweet! Be sure to get pictures of the journey home with it! I bet we all would love to see them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #49
lmdangerous

Wow totally off topic , but I just learned something here. One of your photos shows the jack mounting pad and spring that holds it down . I had a 56 and always wondered what in the world that was for - live and learn lol. Great find . No matter how you do it - you are gonna come out smelling like a rose . Nice truck
LMD
lmdangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #50
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnsteffen View Post

THIS photo?

As an aside I found out the jack out of an early 2000's Ford F350 fits right in the same place like it was made for it. I had a company-provided f-350 and it walked over and installed itself in there one day

Back to Steffen,
I had to go re-review your photos (man, you posted a LOT of them!) to find this photo and I think the first thing I'd do is blow it out w/an air hose or leaf blower.
Then a couple gallons of CLR and a few Scotch-Brite pads will make a HUGE HUGE difference. I think it'll be shocking how well it will clean up. Can't wait to see it!