The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #26
Vova

Re: Frame cut down in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsfine69 View Post
Remove the bed and step cut the frame as per info on the web. Tack back together then hire a portable qualified welder to come finish the job.
The cut is made under the cab.
Vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #27
Vova

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
I've seen a few short bed frames here recently in the KC MO area for $500 bucks with titles. Not saying cutting your own is a bad idea, just throwing out the thought of a $500 dollar option! Do you already have a shortbed, or are you planning on cutting your bed also?
I already cut my bed down so just need to do the frame. I think swapping everything over is a lot of work. I think cutting the frame would be less work.
I found a local guy to do it for $500 but can't find his info.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #28
Vova

[QUOTE=iamoscar;6393349]Its easy to do if you take your time. Like always measure at least twice and cut once. I cut mine and never took the bed or cab off the frame. I lifted the cab for access.
Some people will z cut the frame. I chose to cut straight down. I beveled the frame at a 45° where they met. Finished the outer welds flush and used the 12 frame section I removed as a sleeve for the inside and stitch welded the sleeve completly. The frames are mild steel so welding a little won't affect them like newer metal. Besides if you're in a wreck that buckles the frame under the cab in these trucks you've already ate the steering wheel and taking your last breathes.
If you need some more info pm me. Here's a link that has some of the pics of the frame cutting.

[Quote]
nice pics. You must work at a body shop. How much drop do you get by cutting a section out of the from cross member?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
tinydb84

Quote:
How much drop do you get by cutting a section out of the from cross member?
You can get about 1.25'' the drawback is that you will have some bumpsteer issues. I started doing one for my truck but decided to just get a Z done instead. My 66 has a sectioned crossmember that the previous owner did. He also moved the steering up the same about to adjust for the bumpsteer issues.

Here is a pic with mine mocked up and drawn out. I started cutting after but don't have any pics:
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Vova

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
You can get about 1.25'' the drawback is that you will have some bumpsteer issues. I started doing one for my truck but decided to just get a Z done instead. My 66 has a sectioned crossmember that the previous owner did. He also moved the steering up the same about to adjust for the bumpsteer issues.

Here is a pic with mine mocked up and drawn out. I started cutting after but don't have any pics:
I hate bump-steer. I'll keep saving for the Porterbuild