The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: New member from DFW, first truck build not starting where I thought!

dam that sucks about the block
hope it's not too costly
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
Flatpat

Welcome from the Austin area.

Does the trans have something controlling the converter lock up? I got an '86 in trade that had a 350 TBI converter to carb and a 700r4. Had it for a few days then it lost 3rd and overdrive. Didn't have anything controlling the converter lock up and it had been driving that way for some time so it ended up burning up those gears.
Flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I pm'd you
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
dam that sucks about the block
hope it's not too costly
My brother is coming with a trailer tomorrow so we can get it over to his place and tear the block down, got rings, bearings, and all gaskets I think total I've spent maybe $110?

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
cyclefreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpat View Post
Welcome from the Austin area.

Does the trans have something controlling the converter lock up? I got an '86 in trade that had a 350 TBI converter to carb and a 700r4. Had it for a few days then it lost 3rd and overdrive. Didn't have anything controlling the converter lock up and it had been driving that way for some time so it ended up burning up those gears.
I was looking into the lock up option etc, I'm still kinda fuzzy on how it's controlled, but I know part of it has to be electronic control because there is a plug on the driver side of it, facing up towards the floor hump, and I know that I need the electronic speedo connection.

I was having some slipping in my trans, late shifting, thought that was probably my problem, but the tail shaft gasket was leaking so after I sealed it up I threw some lucas in it and haven't had a problem with it since... I'll do some more investigating on what all is hooked up on it when i've got the motor out this weekend and get some pictures for you

I don't always downshift when I want to change lanes... But when I do, I make sure it's next to a prius so they know I'm hurting the environment!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
cyclefreak207

Little update, back stamp behind the driver side head shows to be GM50L, so 5.0L, 305, I guess I got fooled since the dude told me it was a 350. But hell, I guess nothing wrong really with a 305.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #32
77ChevySharkBite

Welcome to the 305 Club! Sorry to hear about the guy lying to you, I wonder if since the 350 is the "known" engine for our trucks people tell you that just to make the sell. Well either way we have our trucks, a 305 isn't as bad as most people think yeah they may not be a super powerhouse like the 350 but hey 305's pack a little punch too, I'm happy with mine.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Welcome to the 305 Club! Sorry to hear about the guy lying to you, I wonder if since the 350 is the "known" engine for our trucks people tell you that just to make the sell. Well either way we have our trucks, a 305 isn't as bad as most people think yeah they may not be a super powerhouse like the 350 but hey 305's pack a little punch too, I'm happy with mine.
When I decoded my vin, it showed to be a factory 305 truck, so I figure it's the original motor :p

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak207 View Post
When I decoded my vin, it showed to be a factory 305 truck, so I figure it's the original motor :p
Yeah it might possibly be man! Mine was originally a factory 350 but I have a 305 now

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
dam eh,happened with cars too
I'd make sure all is good even more , before you put out more cash
I've heard it referred to "blues block"
cause that's what you feel when you find out
Posted via Mobile Device
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #36
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
dam eh,happened with cars too
I'd make sure all is good even more , before you put out more cash
I've heard it referred to "blues block"
cause that's what you feel when you find out
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I haven't thrown much money at the trucks motor just yet, yeah I was disappointed at first but after about 20 minutes I was over it, because it was a running truck and how do I argue with that.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #37
cyclefreak207

I'm not too worried about it, this is the only project I've had that I didn't plan on making 'fast' Just wanted it low, with a semi-lopey cam, and freshen up the paint/ interior.

So I guess it'll just be a lil old 305 for the rest of its days

Oh and forgot, I got a picture of the truck loaded up after the headgasket, Had my girl get a picture, she didn't get why it was so funny till I told her it would be the only time a dodge was seen pulling a chevy :p
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
I'm not too worried about it, this is the only project I've had that I didn't plan on making 'fast' Just wanted it low, with a semi-lopey cam, and freshen up the paint/ interior.

So I guess it'll just be a lil old 305 for the rest of its days

Oh and forgot, I got a picture of the truck loaded up after the headgasket, Had my girl get a picture, she didn't get why it was so funny till I told her it would be the only time a dodge was seen pulling a chevy :p
Haha, well it's hard to make our trucks "fast" when we have a mini tank on wheels

Nice nice the 305 will do the job.

Yeah we have pride to salvage! the only time mine will ever get pulled by something not chevy is when its getting transported to paint!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Haha, well it's hard to make our trucks "fast" when we have a mini tank on wheels

Nice nice the 305 will do the job.

Yeah we have pride to salvage! the only time mine will ever get pulled by something not chevy is when its getting transported to paint!
Considering I know guys that tote their stunt pieces around in the back of little 4 cylinder rangers and s10's, the 305 should be more than enough :p

And she's lucky she has a lowered honda too! or I'd make like a tree and leaf! haha. But she's great, hates lowered trucks, but won't get off my back about lowering mine since she found my budget/price sheet for all the lowering components! I guess we can keep her! haha

Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Considering I know guys that tote their stunt pieces around in the back of little 4 cylinder rangers and s10's, the 305 should be more than enough :p

And she's lucky she has a lowered honda too! or I'd make like a tree and leaf! haha. But she's great, hates lowered trucks, but won't get off my back about lowering mine since she found my budget/price sheet for all the lowering components! I guess we can keep her! haha
Yeah, your just going to look cooler hauling it that's all.

Yours too? My gf hates some of the lowered trucks here and around Houston, I say a decent looking stance on a newer truck and was like if my truck was dropped like that would you ride with me, I got yes. So it was a good day

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #41
cyclefreak207

She finally came to terms with the lowness, But not with me riding highway wheelies... So since I'm confined to parking lot, I need to have the truck lower for ease of loading/unloading Besides, Everything Low is the way to go!

Her accord is about 1" off the ground with full coilovers, the same type I ran on the last hatchback pictured below, built GSR swap, Tein superstreet coilovers, skunk2 camber kits, RSX leather interior, CF hood, CF duckbill.

I know I'll get flamed by someone for posting this lol, but this was my favorite honda I built besides my Turbo '00 Si.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #42
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah not sure how I would feel about the highway wheelies either.

Looks sharp man!

Eh I doubt it man, we all have our own personal cars hell, I have a dodge that's on my build thread that's my DD nobody bashes it. We all understand aside from our trucks we all have different taste and styles.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
cyclefreak207

I only give her $#!t about it because I care lol
But i've been riding for quite a while, and when we ride highway we're only doing about 45-50 mph in a group. and that usually allows a big enough cushion for everyone to slow traffic behind if someone falls. But after I wrecked last month, bad crank position sensor, bike lost all power while I was riding a seat stander (like in my avatar) So when the front wheel came back from almost 12 o'clock straight to the ground, I went bar-over, landed on my back, and the bike ran me over and pinned me on HWY 20 lol

She decided for me that I was done riding highway unless it's a BIG group ride (I was only with one other person this day.)

Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
77ChevySharkBite

Lol I understand man believe me

Yeah well at least it shows she cares man, because of course as you know you could of lost your life doing that, but you know what your alive, your here to join us, and you'll still able to do stunts in just a bit of a safer environment!

I'm sure you were freaking out once you flipped over the bike and then it ran over you.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
cyclefreak207

Quote:
Lol I understand man believe me

Yeah well at least it shows she cares man, because of course as you know you could of lost your life doing that, but you know what your alive, your here to join us, and you'll still able to do stunts in just a bit of a safer environment!

I'm sure you were freaking out once you flipped over the bike and then it ran over you.
Very true, I was really drunk one night (and half passed out on the porch) and told her, if you really care, you'd still kiss me after I threw up, and she did lol that was the deal sealer hahaha. as cheesy and gay as that sounds :p

Lol I felt my legs kick up in the air, and when I was looking at my headlight I knew where it was going haha, but everyone thinks you would freak out or be scared, but truth is it happens so fast there's really no time to panic, just figure out how to get away from the bike as fast as possible!!
And then you jump up like "WTF?! I GOTTTA GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE THE COPS SHOW UP" and ride off. Next day is when it hits you haha.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #46
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Very true, I was really drunk one night (and half passed out on the porch) and told her, if you really care, you'd still kiss me after I threw up, and she did lol that was the deal sealer hahaha. as cheesy and gay as that sounds :p

Lol I felt my legs kick up in the air, and when I was looking at my headlight I knew where it was going haha, but everyone thinks you would freak out or be scared, but truth is it happens so fast there's really no time to panic, just figure out how to get away from the bike as fast as possible!!
And then you jump up like "WTF?! I GOTTTA GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE THE COPS SHOW UP" and ride off. Next day is when it hits you haha.
Haha, yeah you're gf has my respect my gf loves me very very much, but I can tell you that wouldn't of happened for me everyones relationship is different and works in its own way.

yeah that's true your adrenaline gets going and then it's how fast can I get away, but I can see what you mean it all happens in a split second.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #47
cyclefreak207

it's terrifying trying to get out from underneath the bike in the middle of the highway though lol

Quick status update, I'll be rolling out of work early today, my brother is leaving a job and picking me and the truck up at 3 today, so we'll have the motor torn all the way down, all bearings and gaskets will be done, and tossing an RV cam in it, should be back running on sunday.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #48
77ChevySharkBite

Lol I'm sure about that. I've flipped a 4 wheeler on me and it landed on my leg, tried with all my might to push it and get it to roll off my leg so I could get up, didn't want to agree with me 1 bit! My uncle and a friend of his had to come lift it off me I kept riding even though I was in pain. Had a nice huge welp on my leg for the next 3 months, and you can still feel the damaged area on my leg, and this happened about 2 years ago.

Sweet man! Hope to hear that enjoy roar!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
cyclefreak207

and a four wheeler is a HELLLL OF A LOT heavier than my streetbike. no doubt. My knees killlll me in the morning sometimes, and I just turned 21 at the end of may, So I can only assume they'll hurt even worse when i'm 40 or so haha

Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah needless to say I was in pain for a little while, but they asked me if I wanted to quit I said no and stuck most of the day out, and then we were close to being done and the pain in my leg had gotten so bad I told them I was done, but yet again my leg looked like a baseball had hit me at about 100mph.

Yeah that's a assumption to make I'm 23 man trust me pain I used to take when I was younger is brutal sometimes.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off