The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
unclefreddy

Re: It's official .... It's mine !

Well, I love a lifted 4x4 and have had many. All (2) of my personal vehicles are gasoline engines and get 8 to 10 MPG each. I was wanting a Diesel that would get much better MPG's. I found this suburban on CL and thought what a cool ride for a Cummins swap/restoration. When I was in my teens and early 20's I had a few 67 to 72 trucks some CST's with big blocks and some bare bone, no frill, no power steering or power brakes trucks. This 67 suburban is like a trip down memory lane. I did a restoration on a 1968 K20 truck my uncle gave to me in back in 1980. To answer your question, my answer is "I'm not sure" . I would like to leave this burb mostly stock but on the other hand I want a Cummins in the engine bay with a NV4500, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. Not to sure I want the bench seating, I like quad captains chairs like the ones in my last suburban. It's great to find a mostly original burb but I don't know if I would be happy keeping all stock unless its worth a small fortune. I understand that were 120 1967 K20's produced and no one knows how many are left.
unclefreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #27
unclefreddy

Build...... Body and paint, cummins, nv4500, NP208, Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, quad captains chairs with bench in the back, 6 to 8 inch lift, 35's or 37's. I also like it stock. I will keep everything that comes off in case its worth a million $$$ down the road !
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
vectorit
What?

Build it the way you want it.

I built mine 1968 OE since it had sentimental value, but I love the Cummins conversions.

Check out "Mosesburb" and his 1972 Chevy K20 Suburban.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=303017
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #29
unclefreddy

Yeah, I have read that one Ive been lurking around here for over a year. Waiting and looking for the right burb
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
unclefreddy

Why cant I post pictures ? Message said that my pictures are to big but I have re sized them to 640 and still no go ???? Anyone ?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #31
'68OrangeSunshine

Good luck with your diesel build. I have been thinking of resurrecting my '67 Sub ["White Fang"] with a diesel plant. I will be observing closely.
As far as the pix -- the site changed servers and posting pix is weird. I too have tried to resize down to 640 and still no go. I don't know when it will get fixed.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefreddy View Post
Why cant I post pictures ? Message said that my pictures are to big but I have re sized them to 640 and still no go ???? Anyone ?
It's a forum wide issue right now while the owners of the site are in the midst of upgrades.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589138
Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #33
unclefreddy

I got to inspect the burb for the first time this week and started to strip the interior from the barn doors to the dash. After removing the interior side panels we noticed that the outer rear skins are not original. The truck has been rear ended and repaired at some time in it's early years. 1968 side panels were used instead of 1967 panels, hence the rear side marker lights and bondo in the rear tail light area. After removing all of the seats and floor coverings we discover more rust in the A and B pillars on both sides, front and rear floor pans need replaced along with the pillars. Rust in the kick panel area as well. I'm sure we will find more rust once the front clip is removed. Rust in the kick panel area as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #34
vectorit
What?

That sucks!

Rust is always an issue with these trucks, some worse than others and most can be fixed. Though there is a point where you have to decide whether fixing the rust is "worth it", in my case I had rust in all of the typical Suburban areas and accident damage.

I had all of the rust cut out, and the accident damage/repair fixed right.
In the early stages of my body work process, the nasty discoveries were made and brought to my attention with the look of - Do you want to continue? Each time I said yes, and in the end I just said stop asking and just fix what you find.

Keep in mind, my Suburban has sentimental value to me. So I had no problem telling the body people to press on, but I know it would have been harder for me to make such decisions if the Suburban was a truck that didn't have as much value to me.

Are you skilled enough to be the one fixing this damage, or are you paying a shop to fix them for you? If you are doing all of the work, then it's really just a question of you wanting to spend the time to fix it all. Though if you are paying a shop to do it for you, then there is the whole budgetary limits that come in to play when thinking about the project as a whole. Where you start to think about the body repair budget eating into the mechanical budget, and all of the other things we all think about money wise when visualizing the finished product.

If the body work budget makes the diesel conversion turn into a decent gas powered v8, and you are cool with that then press on. Many times people are dead set on the original plan and scrap what they have early on, and start over with a new platform to achieve what they have in their mind as the ultimate truck with the budget they have.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #35
unclefreddy

I already have the Cummins 6bt, Allison transmision front Dana 60 and rear 14 bolt. I have the seats and console. Brother in-law will be doing the body work and paint, he is very good at that. Just press on I suppose There are very few 1967 K20's. Would be nice to bring it back to life.