The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Some people just don't get it

Last summer I took my Dad to the local Lowe's to pick up a grill. As I sat out front waiting for him to come out and load it up a guy walks by and says, "That would be a nice truck if it had a paint job." I just said, "sure" and laughed. Now my Dad tells me that every time I drive it to his house, it's our inside joke. This happened the other day, a guy I work with sees me getting out of my truck and says, "Buck, you don't really look like a low-rider kind of guy." I said, "Well, it's not really a low-rider, low-riders have hydraulics and mine is on springs." He just kind of looked at me with a blank look and said "oh". Again, I just laughed. These guys are harmless and I find it a compliment that they are looking at my old beater.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
Nathans71

If you like it, it doesn't matter what others think. Just nod and say thanks. Then remember, the people on this board know that it is one sweet ol truck.
Nathans71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #28
stexag

Quote:
you don't really look like a low-rider kind of guy.
I get this on a lot. I'm a farmer/rancher and my lowered C-10 is NOT like ANYTHING ELSE I own. But I like it. I also live very near the border and demographically I am very much a 'minority' here where I live - so the usual answer I get when I ask "why you say that?" is.... "because your white!"

Damn racial profilers!!
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoaterAz View Post
I would've said "I got some work for you"...

and wiggled my junk at him.
I don't care who you are that is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksSS View Post
Last summer I took my Dad to the local Lowe's to pick up a grill. As I sat out front waiting for him to come out and load it up a guy walks by and says, "That would be a nice truck if it had a paint job." I just said, "sure" and laughed. Now my Dad tells me that every time I drive it to his house, it's our inside joke. This happened the other day, a guy I work with sees me getting out of my truck and says, "Buck, you don't really look like a low-rider kind of guy." I said, "Well, it's not really a low-rider, low-riders have hydraulics and mine is on springs." He just kind of looked at me with a blank look and said "oh". Again, I just laughed. These guys are harmless and I find it a compliment that they are looking at my old beater.
Love your truck. My SWB we be a similar build but BB instead of LS. I would rather it be LS though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans71 View Post
If you like it, it doesn't matter what others think. Just nod and say thanks. Then remember, the people on this board know that it is one sweet ol truck.
Thanks. I guess I am not a morning person. I didn't mean to come off like a jerk myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexag View Post
I get this on a lot. I'm a farmer/rancher and my lowered C-10 is NOT like ANYTHING ELSE I own. But I like it. I also live very near the border and demographically I am very much a 'minority' here where I live - so the usual answer I get when I ask "why you say that?" is.... "because your white!"

Damn racial profilers!!
LOL
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #30
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
At least he didn't say "Hey, nice F***RD!!!!
My least favorite compliment: "Hey, nice BRONCO!"
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
CastIron

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like original patina, some like shiny paint. It doesn't matter what others say, do what you want.
That being said, I personally don't care much for patina trucks. When I see them the first thing that comes to mind is "that needs paint". But I can definitely understand while some people like the look. Sometimes I wish my truck was in worse shape, just so I wouldn't feel bad about modifying things.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
BB72CHEVKT

I don't consider my truck to be in that bad of shape for 42 years old. I just can't afford to paint it and I can't deal with the stress that goes along with it. I will build this SWB the same way.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
brian1971

I would love to see more pics of your custom/10 deluxe looks great!

67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=558024
brian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Some people just try to start up a conversation but don't have any people skills so dumb **** comes out. He probably liked your truck. Be happy with that and forget about it.

That is a nice truck... you don't see many of the 3 door Suburbans anymore... shame...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #35
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Some people just try to start up a conversation but don't have any people skills so dumb **** comes out. He probably liked your truck. Be happy with that and forget about it.

That is a nice truck... you don't see many of the 3 door Suburbans anymore... shame...
I hear you. I guess I was Grumpy Gus this morning but the way he said it rubbed me the wrong way for some reason and I am not really sure why.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1971 View Post
I would love to see more pics of your custom/10 deluxe looks great!
Thank you. There are a few pics in my gallery on my profile page. It is a 72 Highlander that I have had since 94. That pic is photoshopped on the front drop. I have everything to finish the front but only the back is currently lowered.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #37
brian1971

Checked out your gallery pics that's has to be a rare truck with those options and that color.Love it looking good

67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=558024
brian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
franken

Well, I'm not a fan of big wheel, or lowered vehicles, but I love the truck.
As others have said, what we see as character/patina, etc, normals see as work needed.
He was trying to compliment your truck.
Try to gracefully accept compliments.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #39
Saclandman

Most people like nice, new, shiney things. I dig the rusty, crusty pieces of old American iron. I get really excited when they're rumbling down the road, still doing what they were built to do.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
big d's red67

I don't see it as jealousy, or not understanding maybe you don't understand them. Most people think cars are supposed to look like they are new when they are done so when they see a patina finish the assume its a work in progress, patina type finishes and old worn out looking cars/trucks don't appel to everyday people. If the car "reality shows" will start building them then everyone will love them. JMO

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Well,not to rub anyone the wrong way,but most folks,including here,didn't "get it" till it became the trend it has fairly recently. You can't expect everyone to catch the trend at the same time. You also can't expect everyone to follow the trend. It's the same with everything,not just patina. The patina look is a work in progress/unfinished look,so in a way this guy did get it. One day,most all patina machine will be painted.

The Suburbans were made longer in '67 which allowed a door for access to be added. That's all there is to it. It was a major improvement for use as a family vehicle over years before. The thinking behind it was likely the same as with Vans that only have curbside doors. I guess GM figured adding a 4th door was a further improvement by the time they redesigned the body in '73. The third door would have been a great idea for the Panels that I wish they had done.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #42
beebak

Count me as one who didn't get it. In fact, I posted pictures of my '72 C20 in the patina section, before I figured out it didn't really belong there. It's just a crap paint job over no prep work, with rust and holes coming thru. It is a daily driver, and I have been concentrating on driveability components, so far, like pitman arms, ball joints,u-joints,etc. Got it tracking straight now, drives nice, and motor and tranny seem really tight. Interior is fine, all gauges and lights now work, so I can start with the bodywork next. Nothing fancy, just want to fix the rust holes properly(sure I'm gonna find some Bondo), and figure out how I want to finish it. With what the previous owner has done, I don't think I can go patina.
beebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #43
Justin36

Ha! Well first off I love your burb one of the coolest on the board! Classic to me is that is a cool ride........ What color you going to paint it ? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #44
jmking9

I was putting gas in mine yesterday and a guy came over and looked my truck over and said "Did you do all this yourself" I said yes, expecting to hear a nice compliment. Then he says "Tell me something, why would you go to all this work, and put THOSE THINGS on there" Pointing at the wheels. I just had to laugh. Then I said, "would you mind stepping back, those two guys are trying to get a picture of it" Two different guys had pulled into the gas station parking lot and were trying to take pictures out of their windows. So yeah, theres a lot of people who dont get it on a several aspects of these trucks. But there are alot more that do.
And by the way, I love your burb. So count me in as one that does get it
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I get it. I like it. For me, I like shiny.

For anyone who likes patina, rust, dented, rotted, wrapped, or black velvet with clowns painted on it, or shiny,
I appreciate their position on "style", and their work (or lack of same....I hope everyone's ride is safe and not spewing smoke
or anti-freeze, tho).

The big deal for me is that I worry for folks who care about what other people think more than what they like themselves.
Maybe I don't *worry*. But I guess I just don't understand the mind set.

Don't get me wrong. If someone appreciates my truck, whatever it looks like. It makes me feel even better when I hear from
them than the times I want to grab a 2 x 4 and come across the forehead of some s-for-brains that starts slapping at my truck with his jaws.

Not that I care that Negative Nellie doesn't like something about my truck. I'd like to whack 'em more simply because they are a-h's.

My $.02.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #46
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The Suburbans were made longer in '67 which allowed a door for access to be added. That's all there is to it. It was a major improvement for use as a family vehicle over years before. The thinking behind it was likely the same as with Vans that only have curbside doors. I guess GM figured adding a 4th door was a further improvement by the time they redesigned the body in '73. The third door would have been a great idea for the Panels that I wish they had done.
It's also not the first time GM has had "3 door" trucks. GM added a 3rd door to their extended cab trucks in 1996. The 3rd door carried over into the NBS GMT800s until 2000 when the 4th door was optional, then in 2001 the 4th door became standard.

S10s also had a 3 door extended cab, but I don't think they ever made it to 4 doors, just the crew cabs.

Just a little trivia

I happed to own a rare 3 door 2000 Silverado
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
Coley

Don't take the comments too much to heart.....some people aren't 'there' yet.
One thing I try to keep in mind is what the demographic I am dealing with in situations like that is. ie: old? young? their appearance or apparent style and communication method?...you can often tell by someones dressing style where they are in the social food chain and as a result what their opinion might be of...well anything...out of the predictable ordinary.
I have some friends who are very 'buttoned down' and anal...and they don't get any of the rod/rat-rod thing in the least....let alone any vehicle more than 20 minutes old. However, they are good people in their own respects.
As for the guy who made the comments to you...he is probably still afraid of red pajamas....
Personally, anytime I can see anyone in one of these older trucks (even Fords or Dodges), its 'hats off to 'em'. The style behind their ride is never resolveable because everyone has their own take on what they like...completely fair. So rodded, original, jacked, painted, restored....whatever....live and let ride!!
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #48
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I was one of them that didn't get it when I bought my patina truck.
And now you've got an issue with people that have the same attitude that you used to have. Okaaaaaaay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
It's interesting though. I sort of sense some angry jealousy here and there directed at guys with natural patina trucks. Since folks can't just go buy one easily, or have repop parts shipped to them with that look, they get funny about it. Sure, everyone has an opinion and different taste, so that's part of it, but I think there's more to it.
Angry jealousy? I think it has more to do with the fact that you have a chip on your shoulder.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #49
big_al_71

My favorite one " I had one just like it" I think to my self "yeah right"

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #50
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
My favorite one " I had one just like it" I think to my self "yeah right"
well there is only one Sylvester...