The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
Matt Cramer

Re: might go ls!

The 350 Vortec needs fewer parts to swap over, but won't give the same kind of power. No truck 5.7s were LS series, and the 5.7 in the Camaro / Firebird and Corvette wasn't a 350, more like a 346.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
StarDust

ok well i might not ls after all found a surburban for 1200 with a 454 and rebuilt th400 im going to.go look.at it saturday
Posted via Mobile Device
StarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #28
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

....so instead of a lighter weight, more powerful, more efficient engine with a strong overdrive tranny....

....you want to get a heavy, large, inefficient, less powerful engine, AND lose overdrive?

I mean its cheaper, but it sounds like you just want SOMETHING, not really anything in particular. I'd look at going and building a used-parts carb'd LSx with a th350/400 behind it if I wanted cheap with more instant gratification.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #29
StarDust

yea i just something that gets my truck moving! lol gas well im not really worried about it since i dont travel or pay bills ha plus trucks are always dogging me it sucks, also if we like the burban i am giving my truck to my dad since he likes c10s and is going to use it as a DD to work..hopefully i dont get too many nays
Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #30
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDust View Post
yea i just something that gets my truck moving! lol gas well im not really worried about it since i dont travel or pay bills ha plus trucks are always dogging me it sucks, also if we like the burban i am giving my truck to my dad since he likes c10s and is going to use it as a DD to work..hopefully i dont get too many nays
Its your truck....you have to do what you feel is "right on"? For me, I am committed to that LS swap...H-3 hummer pan, gaskets/ seals, the heads are in the shop for a regrind. The mounts are layed out on the truck, & that 2000 GMC 5.3 will bolt to a 55 chev bell (1 more bolt one top), & bolted to the 6 spd Richmond trans in my truck . 1st rodeo on this one (LS)....all the pcs are dropping together nice! Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
StarDust

well i found a 454 with 400 trans on cl for 1000 i offered 800 they said they agree so im going to go look at it this weekend had a talk with the guy and told me the motor had been rebuilt, said it has an RV cam, edelbrock intake and carb, cleavland 77 or 777 i forgot bearings, new rods and pistons with rectangle port heads stock crank and serpentine belt said the 454 has seen 0 road miles and the trans has 7k miles..the guy told me it is still installed in a car he has and he will let me see it run before pulling it out..sounds like a good deal to me hopefully not too good to be true and get mugged or something lol
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #32
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'm just a naysayer in general but be careful of craigslist specials. There are an awful lot of "fresh 0 miles race motor" type postings, every one trying to convince people that the garage-hack building it is really Steve Morris. 99% of them are junkyard pull outs with a gasket-set rebuild and the package-discount summit performance and dressup kits. Most are not professionally built, engine dyno'd or broken in.
They tend to come with excuses like "that blue smoke is just from it breaking in", or "the knock will go away once she's warm".

Guess im just in a skeptical mood today.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #33
Special-Ed

i never trust someone elses build. its either crate or i build it myself
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #34
StarDust

i dont really trust them either i usually go by the saying its to good to be true lol but im dire need of a trans and motor now since my motor wotn turn over and my trans in pieces on the freeway and split in half ha im going to see if he has receipts he told me he had a shop build it so im guessing the shop should have given him some sort of proof and plus he said he would let us hear and drive it?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
mmiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post
i never trust someone elses build. its either crate or i build it myself
2X on that. Unless I know the guy well and respect his work.
Nope, I no trusty someone else worky if its expensive, hard to install, or spins round and round or goes bang bang. Been there done that!

If you do buy it...Pull it apart and retorque everything and check it out closely.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #36
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^Same reason I try to smith my own weapons if its something within my capabilities. I'm pretty sure "discount gunsmithing" is the only thing worse than the "friend of a friend" mechanic haha.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
StarDust

ok guys a little update me and my dad went looking at motors today and they killed my chances of gong ls since they convinced my dad that upgrading motors to like a 5.3 or 6.0 is going to be problamatic and that im going to have to drill holes in my block or intake to convert it to carb and yada yada and told my pops not to go through with a 5.3 or 6.0 because there going to be problamatic and were going to have to have wads of cash for it and pretty much sealed the deal to buy a 350 with a 700 trans
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #38
truckdude239

as of right now i have 2k in my ls swap thats engine, trans sending the computer and hanress off to be cut down and reflashed, fuel tank and fuel lines

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #39
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
ok guys a little update me and my dad went looking at motors today and they killed my chances of gong ls since they convinced my dad that upgrading motors to like a 5.3 or 6.0 is going to be problamatic and that im going to have to drill holes in my block or intake to convert it to carb and yada yada and told my pops not to go through with a 5.3 or 6.0 because there going to be problamatic and were going to have to have wads of cash for it and pretty much sealed the deal to buy a 350 with a 700 trans
they lied
thats lame
sbc boring
two word
answers fun

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

you loose!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #41
Matt Cramer

Quote:
ok guys a little update me and my dad went looking at motors today and they killed my chances of gong ls since they convinced my dad that upgrading motors to like a 5.3 or 6.0 is going to be problamatic and that im going to have to drill holes in my block
Nope. The trick is to cut some bits of steel plate that bolt to the side of the engine block, and drill those to fit the SBC motor mounts.

Quote:
or intake to convert it to carb
Well, you definitely don't want to cut and drill a stock truck intake to convert it to a carb - that would be a fuel distribution nightmare. There are carbed intake manifolds available, although I prefer keeping the EFI myself.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote