The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
TommyDuncan

Re: 67 C20 split rim/hub cap question

I see the clips come up on E-bay from time to time, listed as new and for our application. Who knows for sure if they are the same though?

Last edited by TommyDuncan; 09-05-2013 at 08:38 PM.
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post
I see the clips come up on E-bay from time to time, listed as new and for our application. Who knows for sure if they are the same though?
Good question, will have to remove clips from a period 8 lug rim ( if they all haven't been scrapped and sent to China by now) to find out for sure. The article on post #25 does not mention source for clips
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Good question, will have to remove clips from a period 8 lug rim ( if they all haven't been scrapped and sent to China by now) to find out for sure. The article on post #25 does not mention source for clips
I have 5 originals. It will be another payday before I can get the Econoline wheels coming.
Quote:
Here is a '63 3/4 ton hubcap ( the same 8 3/4" back opening as 67-68 3/4 ton hubcaps) just sitting loose on the wheel. The experiment will begin soon.
Did you get any further with this? How is the preliminary fitment? Pretty close? Hopefully the wheel opening is too big rather than too small. Much easier problem to solve!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #29
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post

Did you get any further with this? How is the preliminary fitment? Pretty close? Hopefully the wheel opening is too big rather than too small. Much easier problem to solve!
The fit is very nice, hubcap is flush against rim. There is a little side movement, maybe 1/4", but 4 clips should lock it into place. I'll be getting some clips in the near future. It seems the mounting location of the clips will be key.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
TommyDuncan

Quote:
The fit is very nice, hubcap is flush against rim. There is a little side movement, maybe 1/4", but 4 clips should lock it into place. I'll be getting some clips in the near future. It seems the mounting location of the clips will be key.
That is the truth! I got some clips from Tuckers. They were labeled "41-59" but they are pretty close. $2.49 each...still a bargain if it saves me the trouble of getting all sixteen rivets out of the old wheels.
I used different sizes of drill bits between the clips and the wheel as a gauge to see how far away the clips needed to be. As far as getting them perfectly centered between the 8 holes, I used the old technique known as "eyeballing". Apparently I need to have my eyes checked...
Where I screwed up was the depth of the clips. On these "nub" style wheels I couldn't get them tall enough with the ½" 10-24 screws I bought. I'm afraid if I space them high enough they will be too springy like little diving boards. Maybe I will address this the next time I am at the shop.
That's as far as I got. These are freebys until I can get some Econoline wheels. The little ramps between the lugs should solve this issue, but without one to measure I can't be sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
factorystock

Finnally, made some progress. Looks like the 2006-2013 Econoline wheel is the ticket. You must use original clips from an 8 lug wheel. 1/2 ton or car clips that are repoped are too short. The clips need to be straighten out a bit to get them closer to the rim. A few light blows from a hammer did the trick. I installed the clips flush against the edge on the ramped up area. Hubcap snapped on firmly. I believe the weakest link is the screws, its hard to get them to stay tight. I would like to do a hot rivet, just like the way the clip type wheels were manufactured. Can this be done today? Are there businesses out there that will rivet the clips to these wheels?
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
factorystock

Another close up
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
factorystock

With hubcap installed. The offset looks just like the period '67 thru '68 16.5" wheel.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Looks great! Why not just tack weld the screws behind the wheel? Do you just not want to see screws,when the hub caps are off? I'm sure there are businesses that could hot rivet those,or locate the rivets and I'm sure any welding shop could do the job.

What year Econoline wheels are w/o nubs and still SAE?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #35
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What year Econoline wheels are w/o nubs and still SAE?
I don't know what year the wheels went nubless (is that a word?) but they've been SAE the whole time.
I know, it makes no sense...
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
flyingtim01

I have a funny sidebar to this quandary...my '71 K20 originally came with 17" split rims, and I got ahold of 4 rims and tires from an E-350 to replace them, I believe in a past life they were on an ambulance.

Of course I didn't have hubcaps, but found some 80's style caps at a swap meet for about 10 bucks, so I thought I'd see if they fit. If not, they look good on the wall.

I got them home and walked to the passenger side of the truck, when I discovered that the new wheels had no nubs for the caps. Bummed, the caps got hung up on the wall. I figured this must have been an ambulance with full Ford wheel covers.

About a year later, I was checking tire pressures and I started on the driver's side of the truck. A light bulb went off when I noticed that the wheel I was looking at had nubs! I double checked the passenger side, and sure enough, two wheels have nubs (drivers side) and two wheel are nubless! (passenger side)

So my truck currently has caps on one side and no caps on the other. Pleases both crowds!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
factorystock

The bumpless 8 lug 16" Econoline wheel first came out in 2006 and still are used today. All these vans came with full wheel covers. The bumpless 16" Ford wheel looks very similar to the period clip style 16.5" that was optional in '67 and '68. Notice the little bumped up ring just around the base of the hubcap on this period photo of a '68 GMC 3/4 ton with factory issued 16.5" wheels? I don't trust the screws, I will now investigate the possibility of hot riveting the clip to the wheel, just like the factory would do it.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #38
heyjoe

Now this thread has me wondering if I should save the clips off 2 warped 17.5 rims before I dispose of them. Are people looking for these?
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #39
sodly

I've been investigating tires for my '66 C20 with lock ring wheels. Seems that radials aren't a good match for this style of wheel (different bead profile) but in bias ply there are several choices available. I think that's the direction I'll have to go to maintain the correct pie crust look with the two piece wheels. Radials sure drive nice but they just don't look the same.

Hey, factorystock. Maybe I missed it but what are you working on? I've tried to reach you off-forum but my PMs never go through.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
Lou Boffa

16s came w my truck when I bought it. They are 3 nub but take the smaller 10.5" dog dish.
Anyone know where these wheels come from?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lou Boffa; 10-09-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Lou Boffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #41
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Another close up
Looks Good! Can you post a pic of the backside of the wheel?

I was wondering if the ramps left enough room to run the screws from the backside and putting a nylock on the inside?