The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
1972ProStreet

Re: Broken drive shaft

Wow, what nasty comments. I am the shop owner that dads longhorn towed the truck to. I own Precision Transmission, we have been in business for 53 years. My father started the business in 1960 and we have had the best reputation in town for our fair pricing and customer service. I know that the fellow members here that own businesses are aware of overhead costs. The driveline on longhorn is all new, not rebuilt like some suggest. That includes new slip yoke, two new tubes, three new joints, new slip and stub and new carrier bearing for a 3/4 ton. My cost was $534 with normal retail market value at 30% over cost, listing the driveline at $664.20 plus one hour at $95 per hour and tax. I gave longhorn a $101.76 discount for cash payment. Total out the door was $750, fair deal for the repair. Hope this shed light on the subject. Thanks to DADS LONGHORN for your trust in us.
1972ProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
brad_man_72
the boat guy

What was wrong with the original shaft?
Could it not be repaired?
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
1972ProStreet

The front tube twisted in two, possibly from the front universal joint binding before it snapped. Good point in checking universal joint. The u-joints may seem tight when the drive shaft is installed in the vehicle, but when removed you can pivot the joints. If there is a binding point, they need to be replaced. We see many slight vibration issues with these. Other shops fail to remove the shaft and check for smoothness. Dads longhorn wanted all new as to not have leave stranded again. Good point.
1972ProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Id about bet a tom woods shaft custom built would be cheaper than $751, that's a rip off. New yokes arent but $50 or so and slip joints arent much either. The tubing is the least cost of all parts unless you use thick wall DOM tubing. I'm adding a buddy of mine company web page, call him and ask for a quote...His name is Dave

http://www.oliversdriveshaft.com/
Daves Not Home! http://youtu.be/w7gWB7IzxtU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ProStreet View Post
Wow, what nasty comments. I am the shop owner that dads longhorn towed the truck to. I own Precision Transmission, we have been in business for 53 years. My father started the business in 1960 and we have had the best reputation in town for our fair pricing and customer service. I know that the fellow members here that own businesses are aware of overhead costs. The driveline on longhorn is all new, not rebuilt like some suggest. That includes new slip yoke, two new tubes, three new joints, new slip and stub and new carrier bearing for a 3/4 ton. My cost was $534 with normal retail market value at 30% over cost, listing the driveline at $664.20 plus one hour at $95 per hour and tax. I gave longhorn a $101.76 discount for cash payment. Total out the door was $750, fair deal for the repair. Hope this shed light on the subject. Thanks to DADS LONGHORN for your trust in us.
The only "nasty" thing in this thread is that price you charged that guy! "Fair deal" indeed! I will say this, you have some huge balls and were man enough to attempt a justifiable exploitation (I mean explanation) of costs so I suggest...Pay the man back $250 and both walk away with a lesson in reality. WWFD? (What Would your Father Do?) "just sayin"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
Jon01

What that guy said.
$750 for a $300 part is hardly a fair deal.
The only light shed was the fact that you have some big brass balls and/or a lack of decency.
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Reported to staff already, please keep it civil (yes you have thus far imho) and use the report a post feature if you have an issue with a members post.
Thanks
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote