The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: SBC discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recian View Post
I only recommend a roller setup for economy. Less resistance in the engine = better MPG. I don't want a 15mpg truck either. I can get 20-22 hwy with it now. Don't want to go backwards but I'd like to pick up a little more efficiency and power. I'm not looking to drag just want to be able to pass people and get off the line from a stop light quicker than 30 seconds. I can floor the truck on a wet road and can't break the rear tires loose as it is.

I assume the vortec heads are the up/down bolt style intake not the angled bolts meaning I'd have to use the TBI intake which is why I assume it's recommended. I'd prefer to stick to my quadrajet. I can pick up a '90 TBI 305 single cab longbed truck from my bro for less than $1000 but I like these body trucks better. That being said how bout some 350 heads with bigger valves?
The vortecs are massively stronger than any prev Chevy head. They don't have middle intake bolts and require specific intakes. The unfortunate side of the coin is that power requires fuel. Just a fact. If you don't have overdrive then the only way your getting power and keeping economy is by swapping bigger valves will help but they are a scratch compared to vortecs just because of how efficient they are. Tbi heads do ok as well.

Do you know what rear gearing you have now?
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
cjkirby55

Re: SBC discussion

I like the tuned port 350/700R4 route. It's proven, reliable and parts are readily available. Makes good power when you want it and gets decent mileage when you don't.
cjkirby55 is offline   Reply With Quote