The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
Lo Blu62

Re: led lights

Good deal!
Lo Blu62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #27
Lo Blu62

Finally got around to installing the United Pacific LED flasher. As it turns out, I didn't need the reverse polarity plug. Turn signals front and rear work perfectly now.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
Old Bleu

That's funny on the flasher. I just installed the United Pacific LED's from Summit on my 1964 stepside, and had to use the polarity reverser with the United Pacific flasher to get the turn signals to work. Also, after I installed them, when I pulled the light switch, I had bright lights (brake lights) but no brake lights when the lights were on. I unplugged the LED's and flipped the connectors over. Viola, normal lights when the lights were on, bright brake lights and turn signals! I think with LED's it's all about polarity.

These things are much brighter and the stainless housings add a bit of bling. I like them!
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
theastronaut

The only problem I have with LED's is that they no longer function as a reflector like the original lenses/buckets did. That's important to have if you're parked on the side of the road.

A buddy of mine uses a 55 watt headlight bulb added into the original buckets for brighter brake lights, and it keeps the reflector function. He had to use a glare shield from a headlight housing to keep from melting the lens; the hotter bulb makes a ton more heat when he's on the brakes a lot in traffic.

I'm planning on adding H1 sockets into my original buckets. H1 bulbs can be found in just about any wattage so it'll be easy to find something bright enough.

Any newer car has glare shields made into the headlights. They'll work to reflect the light back into the bucket so it's more evenly distributed, and it'll keep the heat away from the lens

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

FYI..

United pacific tail are lifetime warranty!!!

P.S i like the those headlights!!!
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #31
Lo Blu62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Also, after I installed them, when I pulled the light switch, I had bright lights (brake lights) but no brake lights when the lights were on. I unplugged the LED's and flipped the connectors over. Viola, normal lights when the lights were on, bright brake lights and turn signals! I think with LED's it's all about polarity.
Yeah, I didn't have that problem at all. My brake lights are three times brighter than my tail running lights. My biggest issue was grounding. The left tail running light was way dimmer than the right, so I installed dedicated 18GA ground wires to all my LEDs and had no more issues.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
Old Bleu

Yeah, my brake lights are that way too, now that I have the polarity right. Before, when I turned on the lights, I had the bright brake lights for tail lights, and you could see no change for brake lights. All I had to do was swap the orientation of the blugs into the tail light buckets.

I was really scratching my head, wondering how something that should be simple could be so complicated. But then I read that LED's are sensitive to polarity, and the LED came on in my head! :-) Switched the polarity on the flasher and swapped the plugs, and they are a beautiful sight!
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote