The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
63burban4x4

Re: New Guy w/ first C10. Could use some help.

actually the heater control's 55 & 56, but not just Belair, all models with deluxe heater. I had a '56 210 for 37 years, same control. 57's different. 55-56 trucks were slightly different but looked quite similar. That one looks to be in nice shape, probably would cover the cost of the right one for your truck, if you find the guy who needs it for his 55-56 car.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Trump

Started taking some measurements and such today. Gathering things for when I do the engine/trans swap.

I crawled all over the rearend trying to find "the tag" everybody talks about for the gear ratio. Didn't find one. Looked around for other numbers but couldn't find any except "GM7" cast into the driver's side front of the housing.

I did the old mark the driveshaft and the wheel trick. 4 driveshaft turns to one revolution of the wheel. So I am guessing they are 4.10 gears. Was that fairly common in these trucks? If so, good thing I'm trying to switch to an overdrive trans.

In other news, rather than build an engine for this truck like I usually would, I decided to go the easy route with a crate Goodwrench 350. Picked it up today, got it for a lot less than I could have ever built one for. I know that these aren't highly desirable. But I am not going crazy with this drivetrain. Just want good daily driver power for an economic price. So with the crate engine I will meet those goals. Now I need to start my search for a good 700R4.....
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #28
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is possible that your truck has 4.10 gears. I typically just pull the cover and have a look. The tooth count is stamped on the edge of the ring gear. More than likely the differential could use an oil change. The differential is one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle. All it'll cost you is a couple quarts of gear oil, a cover gasket and a little time. In return you know exactly what gears you have, what condition they are in, and the satisfaction knowing that your differential is full of fresh oil.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
It is possible that your truck has 4.10 gears. I typically just pull the cover and have a look. The tooth count is stamped on the edge of the ring gear. More than likely the differential could use an oil change. The differential is one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle. All it'll cost you is a couple quarts of gear oil, a cover gasket and a little time. In return you know exactly what gears you have, what condition they are in, and the satisfaction knowing that your differential is full of fresh oil.
Thanks, I intended to do that. Just had it briefly up in the air and was curious. The PO has been pouring buckets of new lube in simply because the pinion seal is smoked and peeing everywhere. So I will likely do it all at once.

Captainfab- I read somewhere on another member's post that he used a power steering conversion kit from you? Do you make them or have some cool method? If so, have a link?

The other thing regarding the rearend. My rear is a 12-bolt, not a 10-bolt. Everywhere I look for pan gaskets they are 10 bolt and more round. Is it possible that I have a later rearend? I wouldn't think so because of all the bracketry, but I suppose somebody may have gone through the trouble? The rearend that is in it sure looks a lot like the one I had in a '74 Chavy K5 at one time. Here's a couple pictures, any ideas?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Trump

I may have answered my own question.....

Most likely out of a '68-'72 K10?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
Trump

Now I'm thinking it may still be stock. Picked up some parts from another fella that messes with C10s and his had the same rearend but was a 1966. He said his was stock. The panhard bar setup looked different though......

Either way. I dropped the pan. It is a 4.10 rearend. Trying to change out the pinion seal, but I can't get the nut to budge with a breaker bar or an impact with it in the truck. All I do is load the suspension when I try to turn it. I might have to drop the rear out of the truck to get it done. I guess not that big of a deal, but I had hoped not to do it. Time is a commodity that I lack.

If I'm going to end up hauling the whole rear out anyway, I might just do a gear swap, seals and bearings while I'm there and at it. We'll see..... it certainly ain't gonna happen this week.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
Trump

Got my pinion nut off and got to the bad seal. Took a little ingenuity, but got it done.

Turned my attention back to the heater. I am missing two pieces from my diffuser box. The cable clamp and the little insert that keeps the lever in place. Hoping that maybe somebody has a spare diffuser laying around that they might be willing to part with? Or maybe at least the little insert piece. I can make up a replacement tab and cable clamp.

Couple pictures.
This is the part I need to find (heater diffuser flapper box)

Pinion nut off. Smoked seal next to new seal:

Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #33
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes I do make the power steering box adapter plates, among several other parts. There are links to the for sale threads in my signature line.

Yes that is an original 12 bolt under your truck. For some reasom a lot of parts books/computers show a 10 bolt in a lot of these trucks. The truck 12 bolt was first available in the '63 model year, and used in the C10's thru the '82 model year. They were also used in the K5's and K10's from '63 thru the '79-'80 model years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Thanks, I intended to do that. Just had it briefly up in the air and was curious. The PO has been pouring buckets of new lube in simply because the pinion seal is smoked and peeing everywhere. So I will likely do it all at once.

Captainfab- I read somewhere on another member's post that he used a power steering conversion kit from you? Do you make them or have some cool method? If so, have a link?

The other thing regarding the rearend. My rear is a 12-bolt, not a 10-bolt. Everywhere I look for pan gaskets they are 10 bolt and more round. Is it possible that I have a later rearend? I wouldn't think so because of all the bracketry, but I suppose somebody may have gone through the trouble? The rearend that is in it sure looks a lot like the one I had in a '74 Chavy K5 at one time. Here's a couple pictures, any ideas?

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote