The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
68Stepbed

Re: Same size tires all around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Hey, keep that as long as you need to brother. I just wanted to make sure it got there.

That wire 'bendy' bar is to simulate your tire. Width in MM /25.4 = width in inches. × aspect ratio (ex .40) = sidewall height. X2 + rim dia. = height.

Not assuming you don't know,.. just trying to help. You could use fleet bed wheel tubs inside the bed (wood bed right?)
Thanks, man. I had a pretty close idea on all that, but that should help also. Yeah I'll use fleetside tubs if I tub it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Matt, I'm thinking about stopping the body shop on my step bed and selling it. I've got the fever for a Southern Kentucky Classic fleet side kit.....hopefully tires and wheels will be easier to choose also.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! A tubbed stepper would be sooooo much cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafetony View Post
I also used a back spacing gauge to get me back spacing

Stock 12 bolt but with my Baer brake set up it pushed everything out .40 out
On each side.
5.5 on a 10 inch wheel is perfect.
I tried to stuff a 315 under it and it worked but it was to close for me.
My truck is being built for autocross, daily driver and goodguys event and hopefully the power tour this year.
For the front on a bag set up. 8.5 with a 4.75 backspacing will not only tuck inside the wheel well right but it lets you run stock inner fenders. You can't drop it on the floor but that's not my intent. The 265 up front is pushing it.
265/35/20 front 27.3 tall by 10.5 wide tire
305/30/20 rear 27.2 tall by 12.2 wide tire
I would of like to go with a taller tire like 40 or a 45 but no one makes that with the size and type of tires I have.
It's the same tires I run on my srt and it hooks up and still gives a good ride.
Thanks for the info. I plan to build mine for autocross action as well, but still keep it driveable. It looks like custom built wheels are in my future instead of off the shelf stuff. I'm gonna start checking on getting a 9" with full float axles built.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
CC69Rat

I had a 9" I sold not too long ago for $100. My uncle has several, let me know if you need help sourcing a good core, and I'm also good friends with Mike Hudlow here in Chattanooga. I can get it cut down for you if you need it. Im sure there are places up your way too .. just saying I may have some connections for a good housing.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool68 View Post
2WD, especially lowered, trucks look much better with a taller rear tire. Matching tread will not be seen, except by roadkill. Even non-matching brands front to rear OK. When was the last time that you walked through a truck show and bent down to read front/rear tire brands and find that they were different and because of that the truck was not acceptable to you?
This truly a matter of opinion, and in my opinion, you're way off. I like the look of equal tires on all four corners. Not so much on a step side, but definitely on a fleet. I like not having my handling, and braking affected my such a mismatch. I like being able to rotate my tires. Running mismatched brands/tread is even worse IMO.

Last edited by jhwkns; 12-16-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: picture
jhwkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I had a 9" I sold not too long ago for $100. My uncle has several, let me know if you need help sourcing a good core, and I'm also good friends with Mike Hudlow here in Chattanooga. I can get it cut down for you if you need it. Im sure there are places up your way too .. just saying I may have some connections for a good housing.
I'll keep that in mind, Chad. What does it usually cost to get a rearend shortened, and can he do the full float hubs?

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #30
dkauffman05

68 stepbed. What tires did you end up getting ? I'm in the same boat right now trying to figure out sizes . I was thinking 295-45-18 & 285-40-18 but mabee 285 ' s all 4 corners.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #31
jtinpdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
This truly a matter of opinion, and in my opinion, you're way off. I like the look of equal tires on all four corners. Not so much on a step side, but definitely on a fleet. I like not having my handling, and braking affected my such a mismatch. I like being able to rotate my tires. Running mismatched brands/tread is even worse IMO.
jhwkns,
What wheels are those on your truck? They look great!
jtinpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #32
Mike C

High performance rear drive cars usually have mismatched tires with larger in the rear. On a car I drive a lot, I like matched tires so you can rotate them which makes them last longer, saving money.

But if you are going to run wheels with different offsets, makes no sense to not maximize the tire you are going to run for either end. Whether it be max height or max width.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote