The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #26
64 wedge

Re: Finally got me a '66

I just got me a 66 also. It is a one owner farm truck with only twenty thousand miles on it but was definitely used on the farm, mud and straw in alot of places. It sat inside the barn since the mid 80's so it was somewhat protected. It has a 283 with the 3 on the tree. So far I have replaced the brake system and got the engine running.Name:  66 001.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  66 003.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  66 005.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  66.5 KB
64 wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
firemanjimtfd

Thumbs up Re: Finally got me a '66

64 wedge . Welcome to the forum . Its nice to find those original trucks that has been in barns and not had 15 owners . Find you some original small hubcaps and enjoy driving.
firemanjimtfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
speedy_steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 wedge View Post
I just got me a 66 also. It is a one owner farm truck with only twenty thousand miles on it but was definitely used on the farm, mud and straw in alot of places. It sat inside the barn since the mid 80's so it was somewhat protected. It has a 283 with the 3 on the tree. So far I have replaced the brake system and got the engine running.
Nice truck!! I'm digging those bumper guards...been debating putting some of those on mine.
speedy_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
64 wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_steve View Post
Nice truck!! I'm digging those bumper guards...been debating putting some of those on mine.
I did some cleaning on them and they cleaned up good, they do give it a neat look. The spotlight is a factory gm light that still works good.
64 wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
speedy_steve

Well today was exciting. Pulled the exhaust and intake manifold off. It looked like an oil leak behind the manifold, but after closer examination...the gasket appears to be leaking (FINGERS CROSSED).
In the third picture you can see where the exhaust is leaking around the gasket. Could probably explain the raw gas smell when running.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #31
speedy_steve

Well, the project continues and today was a good day. Managed to pull the head bolts yesterday but couldn't figure out why in the world it wouldn't budge. After a few beers, went "bolt hunting" and sure enough, found the culprit.

Today, I was able to remove the rods and the head completely. I wasn't sure what to expect once the head was removed and sure enough...tons of carbon buildup on the piston crown as well as all the valves. Cylinder 5 looks rougher than the others, so now I have to figure out how to remove them without pulling the engine or at the very least, how to clean the carbon deposits. I've been reading and it's possible; however, it appears to be no easy task.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looks like you have a 230 6 cylinder. Looks like it could use some marvel mystery oil! lol!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
blazer-k5

Ive heard old timers speak of shaking a spoon full of water above the carb with it running. Letting the drops fall it knocks the carbon off the pistons. I've never tried it. Sounds like it works. Both of trucks are nice. That farm fresh sucker is clean.
blazer-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #34
speedy_steve

Today's lunch time consisted of pulling all the valves, springs, and associated hardware...and trying to identify the engine id. There are a dozen different numbers on this thing and twice that many resources on the interwebnetthingy. Now the real "fun" begins.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Cylinder head:

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
speedy_steve

Ordered a buttload of parts yesterday and now I'm just waiting on them to come in. So...today was paint day.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #36
speedy_steve

Removed the heater core today, sanded the rust out of the housing, ordered a new heater core and motor. But the shining moment of happiness was...all the parts I ordered from Classicparts.com came in today.

Time to have some real fun!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
speedy_steve

Well, the build is going good...found out something interesting yesterday and posted it in another thread, but I'll post it here too.

So when I initially bought the truck and drove it home, I noticed that at slow speeds it was fine, but if I gave it gas and tried to hit highway speeds, it would sputter like it wasn't firing on all cylinders or running out of gas. After researching it here's some of the isolation points I found:
Spark plugs were needing replacement
Lots of carbon buildup on exhaust valves, some on intake valves
Distributor had a broken plug point so contact wasn't being made all the way around
Valve seal on #3 was torn and leaking
Fuel filters had tons of sludge
Fuel lines had sludge
And several other things along the way, all of which needed to be fixed and I figured could be a source of the sputter...until yesterday.

Yesterday I got my parts in from Classicparts and in the order was a new mechanical fuel pump. When I went to put it on with the exact same orientation as the one I removed, I noticed that the mounting layout didn't match. The bolt holes lined up, but it didn't look right. So, I flipped the pump 180 and viola...a perfect match and fit. Now I'm thinking that the sputter was a result of the pump starving at higher psi due to nothing being in the reservoir for the output line.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #38
speedy_steve

Previous install:

Current install:

So I guess it is possible to invert a mechanical fuel pump. Anyone else have a situation like this?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #39
speedy_steve

Got the water pump installed today.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #40
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Looks good!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
speedy_steve

Well, apparently the Public Storage unit isn't too keen on the idea of one working on their vehicle while in storage. Got me a little cease and desist letter Saturday morning. So, it's time to figure out a plan "B" to get this little lady back on the road.

The plus side is this, all of the parts I've ordered have come in so it may only take a day or two of full time wrenching to get her running.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #42
flynn

Quote:
Previous install:

Current install:

So I guess it is possible to invert a mechanical fuel pump. Anyone else have a situation like this?
Hi steve love the truck. I think the way the pump was installed was correct but I may be wrong. That is the way it is installed in my truck. I am gonna try to put a link up. Hope it helps, it shows lots of straights with the pumps like the first pic 67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471078
flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #43
Jeff La

I can't see how if you invert the fuel pump it will pump. Lever would be in the down position and push rod could not actuate the pump lever. Spring loaded side of fuel pump has to be in up position so push rod pushes down on lever operating the diaphragm.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #44
speedy_steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn View Post
Hi steve love the truck. I think the way the pump was installed was correct but I may be wrong. That is the way it is installed in my truck. I am gonna try to put a link up. Hope it helps, it shows lots of straights with the pumps like the first pic 67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471078
I've seen tons of pics but most are from 66's. What could be causing some of the confusion for me is this engine shows to be from a 76-84 model. I'm pretty sure it's not the original motor unless GM/Chevy did a horrible weld job on one side of the motor mount, and bolted the other side to the frame. Yeah, I found that the other day; passenger side...welded; drivers side, bolted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
I can't see how if you invert the fuel pump it will pump. Lever would be in the down position and push rod could not actuate the pump lever. Spring loaded side of fuel pump has to be in up position so push rod pushes down on lever operating the diaphragm.
That's kind of what I was thinking, but the holes on the block line up and the carter instructions show the lever pointing downward.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...structions.pdf

Last edited by speedy_steve; 02-26-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #45
jesseo

Making me want to get started on my truck.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #46
speedy_steve

Haven't been able to mess with the old girl at all for the past few weeks and it has been killing me. Hopefully, I'll get some wrench time in this weekend.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #47
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Previous install:

Current install:

The first pump pictured is installed correctly. Its apparent that the two pumps mount differently.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
speedy_steve

Finally got her moved to her new home this weekend. Let the fun begin!