The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #26
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

Hey Mike,
Good question.
Quote:
It looks like your compressor is mounted such that the oil filler "cap" is about 90 deg. to vertical.
The Old Air instructions said you could mount it upright or 90 degrees. In my setup that is the 90 degree position. The real problem with the system like this is it trys to puke oil out the hi side port when I remove my gages. Not alot but it does happen. I could rotate it easily to the upright position but I don't like it in that position. I know the problem associated with it in it's current position and have chose not to hook the gage set to the discharge side because I have already seen what I needed to see on the hi side of the system. You will not be adding oil through the plug on the compressor unless the charge is evacuated anyway and I think they were concerned that a small plug leak on the compressor fill port would push out all the oil eventually. This is just my two cents. You'll have to decide on your individual application for yourself. I'm willing to bet the cost of a new compressor on the way I have it installed. Are you? I'm not trying to be a smarta**. I just want everyone to know that there are decisions to be made. You'll be the one making the decisions and living with the outcome. I've got to go because I sound like my mother.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #27
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I forgot your other question.
Quote:
First it looks like you put some kind of foam on top of the fan shroud ,between shroud and rad.
Actually the foam you see was packing material used to ship the unit. I just recognized how I could use it to resolve the air leak problem at the top of the core support. It's funny when that lightbulb goes on in your head. It was one wide piece that I sectioned to use in that application. Boy that stuff is hard to cut straight.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:15 AM   #28
Mike Culpepper
Red

I don't know if I NEED to seal off the shroud or not. My truck ran at the low end of the temp guage before I added the A/C and maybey 15 deg. higher as it is now.
Yea, I geuss they were worried about a leak, all my instructions say is to make sure the fill port is between 0 and 90 degrees??

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:18 AM   #29
Mike Culpepper
Red

If ya'll will give me a couple of days I'll try and post some pics of the V/A set up in the faq section.
Mike

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #30
Mixup

I have a Vintage air system and the only problem I see with all the systems is the lines running under the battery. Even the factory system does and if the battery leaks alittle it goes right on the lines. My AC guy told me that was a problem even with the factory lines.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote