The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #26
jim-roberts63084

Re: Newbie needs help on buying truck

okay i called the guy and there some issues i wanted to address with you folks.
1. it has disk brakes in the front and drum in the rear no power, how hard would this be to be to convert to to power? simple as bolting brake booster in and running vacume hose?
2. He says the the truck turns sharper right then it does left by just a hair and said its because the pitman arm or idler arm wasnt changed with the lift, and said when you turn left it doesnt clear the knuckle? Said he has the right one (exteneded) one that he will give me with the tuck if this makes any sense?
jim-roberts63084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #27
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-roberts63084 View Post
okay i called the guy and there some issues i wanted to address with you folks.
1. it has disk brakes in the front and drum in the rear no power, how hard would this be to be to convert to to power? simple as bolting brake booster in and running vacume hose?
2. He says the the truck turns sharper right then it does left by just a hair and said its because the pitman arm or idler arm wasnt changed with the lift, and said when you turn left it doesnt clear the knuckle? Said he has the right one (exteneded) one that he will give me with the tuck if this makes any sense?
Sounds normal. The pitman arm has to be longer to keep the steering geometry correct.

Power brakes are easy. Vac line and booster, find a firewall bracket, maybe change the master.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
jim-roberts63084

Alrighty boys i think i found me my truck, if the frame looks good, the welds/ cab mounts, if its boxed in and looks as good as the truck and the title is clean then im gonna buy it! for 3800 this isnt a bad deal i dont believe! im not wanting a show truck, im wanting a truck i can use/ go hunting and fishing in. I think some new wheels and power brakes and i will love it! Mabey down the road if i find a swb frame i could do it right!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #29
Tomahawk30

Sounds like a good plan to me! Looking forward to some pictures!

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #30
jim-roberts63084

yea i mean, beats my plan for the money and work im gonna save! If everything goes right tomorrow ill post some pictures!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #31
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Yeah. I'd stop texting and/or calling the guy.

Might piss him off.

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #32
jim-roberts63084

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Yeah. I'd stop texting and/or calling the guy.

Might piss him off.

what lol, texted him a bit and called once
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #33
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
what lol, texted him a bit and called once
Right on. Take pics tomorrow!!!!
But always a rat.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #34
Carl Spangler

Best of luck with that truck today.

JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
jim-roberts63084

Will be meeting him at 430 today, one last question, the shifter seems to be in the floor, not on the steering column? He said its a 700r4 with I thought was auto? What do you think the deal is with that?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #36
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Will be meeting him at 430 today, one last question, the shifter seems to be in the floor, not on the steering column? He said its a 700r4 with I thought was auto? What do you think the deal is with that?
The owner didn't replace the steering column and took the easy/cheap approach with a floor shifter. I'd look for signs of other shortcuts.

good luck
JohnG
Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
jim-roberts63084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
The owner didn't replace the steering column and took the easy/cheap approach with a floor shifter. I'd look for signs of other shortcuts.

good luck
JohnG
I sure will, what will be needed to fix this, buying another steering column with the shifter on it and hooking up the cable, and patching the floor? just trying to get as many ideas befor I go look at this truck, sorry for all the questions
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #38
snailhouse_projects

maybe go with a column from a van since it has tilt and the floor patch shouldn't be too hard to do, I have done quite a few. the hardest part is when you have to TIG weld it, MIG welding is a lot easier....
snailhouse_projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #39
Lattimer

Quote:
I sure will, what will be needed to fix this, buying another steering column with the shifter on it and hooking up the cable, and patching the floor? just trying to get as many ideas befor I go look at this truck, sorry for all the questions
Depends. There is nothing wrong with an automatic floor shifter, and I actually prefer them over column shifts. I personally would not buy a new column just to get a column shifter, I'd install a nice floor shifter. In fact, even if I was replacing the column at the same time, I'd still go with a floor shifter. That's not necessarily a shortcut, it may just be personal preference. Lokar makes some really cool ones.

If you don't like it, its a column swap, cable, maybe a couple of brackets, patch the hole in the floor. Cost depend son if you go with a new column or find a used/rebuilt one.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #40
magwakeenercew2jh

Here's a little info that I scratched out for you on dimensions:

http://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-...dy-swap-38770/

Like anywhere on the web or on other Forums, a few of these guys piped up with B.S. "could'a, would'a, should'a"....
Gotta take that in stride.

When you ask questions about stuff like shifters, steering columns, power steering, etc., a couple of things come to mind:

1) Many of these questions will become irrelevant as soon as you see the truck;

2) You have a '78 Blazer platform. Unless there's been fabrication, wherever it comes in contact with the '68 body, the Blazer
wins the race.... in order to have accurate drivability.

So, I reiterate: Two vehicles. One that drives. And the other one that's the "skin" of the driver.

Personally, I'd forget what will fit the Blazer roller and running gear from a '68 until I was ready to do some fabrication.
That is, unless it has nothing to do with the way I'd drive a naked Blazer down the road, sitting on a milk crate.

But that's just me.

The art in all this is how the PO or fabricator made the connections between the two vehicles to make the ergos work for the
truck's body parts... and for it's driver and passengers (steering, shifting, wiring, wheel spacing from 106.5 to 115 and from side
to side, gas filler, all the stuff we've been discussing....).
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 01-16-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #41
snailhouse_projects

^^^^^ that looks scary to drive.....
snailhouse_projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #42
jim-roberts63084

Well i did not purchase the truck i had to walk away, let me give you the run down, i didnt get any pictures but heres the story.

at first glance it was a nice truck, but i quickly looked past that. the body work was horrible, underneith the truck the cross supports that bolt to the fender/rocker area was completly rusted out. He is misleading about the the engine being rebuilt, it leaked oil and the spark plug wires were melted by shorting out on the header. The truck needed all the wiring ripped out and re done, looks like a non union residential electric company wired it, more wire in that truck than my house, more wire nuts/open bare wires going every were. now lets talk about the frame, it had more angle iron iv'e ever seen on a car, it is hodge podge togeather, the custom made cross memeber for the trans/tranfercase was shimmed more than an inch on either side with washers and was missing bolts/nuts. The issue with the steering was way off, i see were the pitman arm was hitting the leaf spring when you turn right, but doesn't explain why the truck wont turn left hardly. The truck does not want to turn left and i have no idea why. There is no way this truck is worth 3800. i offered 2000-2500 and that was a no go. the only reason i would buy this truck is to take the bed and scrap the rest. the truck is actually a c-10 2wd converted to a 4wd that's why shifter is on the floor. the transfer case stick was angle iron coming thru the floor.

he has no papers on the trans or engine and is misleading saying it was a daily driver, dangours for one becouse it dont turn left worth a shoot, and he said he bought it with the new tires a year ago, and there still new, so he said he only put 1500 on the truck since he had it. the cab coners are rusting and the only reason i would buy this truck is for the step side. Im kinda disappointed but think i made the right choice by walking away.

The only way to buy this truck is to have a swb roller frame and your needing a body thats the only way i can see it so there ya go folks theres more than just the cover to this truck. I will continue my search

ps sorry for the spelling, in a hurry gotta drive all the way back to linn
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #43
Tomahawk30

Sorry to hear it was a no-go, but you did the right thing in walking away. There's few feelings worse than paying more than you should have for a rig and immediately regretting it! With some patience you'll find a great deal on what you really want. I'm a craigslist junkie, so Ill keep my eyes peeled for you too!

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #44
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Well i did not purchase the truck i had to walk away, let me give you the run down, i didnt get any pictures but heres the story.

at first glance it was a nice truck, but i quickly looked past that. the body work was horrible, underneith the truck the cross supports that bolt to the fender/rocker area was completly rusted out. He is misleading about the the engine being rebuilt, it leaked oil and the spark plug wires were melted by shorting out on the header. The truck needed all the wiring ripped out and re done, looks like a non union residential electric company wired it, more wire in that truck than my house, more wire nuts/open bare wires going every were. now lets talk about the frame, it had more angle iron iv'e ever seen on a car, it is hodge podge togeather, the custom made cross memeber for the trans/tranfercase was shimmed more than an inch on either side with washers and was missing bolts/nuts. The issue with the steering was way off, i see were the pitman arm was hitting the leaf spring when you turn right, but doesn't explain why the truck wont turn left hardly. The truck does not want to turn left and i have no idea why. There is no way this truck is worth 3800. i offered 2000-2500 and that was a no go. the only reason i would buy this truck is to take the bed and scrap the rest. the truck is actually a c-10 2wd converted to a 4wd that's why shifter is on the floor. the transfer case stick was angle iron coming thru the floor.

he has no papers on the trans or engine and is misleading saying it was a daily driver, dangours for one becouse it dont turn left worth a shoot, and he said he bought it with the new tires a year ago, and there still new, so he said he only put 1500 on the truck since he had it. the cab coners are rusting and the only reason i would buy this truck is for the step side. Im kinda disappointed but think i made the right choice by walking away.

The only way to buy this truck is to have a swb roller frame and your needing a body thats the only way i can see it so there ya go folks theres more than just the cover to this truck. I will continue my search

ps sorry for the spelling, in a hurry gotta drive all the way back to linn
Thanks for the detailed update. Sounds like you're lucky he didn't accept your low offer.

Walking (running) away from 'deals' like this is like going to school. Your tuition was your time/effort in scoping out this hodgepodge of a vehicle.

good luck with your search!
JohnG
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #45
magwakeenercew2jh

The way I see it, it was a perfect exercise.
We all got to play. And you didn't get screwed.

I, too, think you can thank him (dearly) for not taking your lower offer.

That was fun.
But always a rat.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #46
ole dollor

another welcome to the forum, hope you find a truck that works for you...keep looking , you will find the best truck for the buck...good luck.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #47
jim-roberts63084

I found another truck I may be interested that's not to far away, its a 69 chevy that's gonna need a lot of body work but I would have around 6000 to put into it and would be doing almost all the work myself. what are your thoughts? Besides the body work the 2wd to 4wd swap kinda scares me besides the rust. It Has power drum brakes in the front, how hard is it to switch to disk in the front?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4322368761.html

Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #48
Lattimer

Quote:
I found another truck I may be interested that's not to far away, its a 69 chevy that's gonna need a lot of body work but I would have around 6000 to put into it and would be doing almost all the work myself. what are your thoughts? Besides the body work the 2wd to 4wd swap kinda scares me besides the rust. It Has power drum brakes in the front, how hard is it to switch to disk in the front?

That is a $300 parts truck. Remember that there will be at least twice as much rust as what you can see. It looks to have been put together from several different trucks. I see primer, blue, yellow, a non-AC cab with what looks like a condenser and dryer on the radiator support. Something looks off on the wheelbase too...

Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #49
Carl Spangler

Quote:

Looks like a pile of mixed up (rusted) parts to me. I think you can do MUCH better. i.e. keep looking!

JohnG
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #50
leftybass209

You did good. I passed on a blazer 2 weeks ago that was a "daily driver" that leaked oil from both diffs, transfer case, tailshaft, oil pan, rear main, power steering, and had a radiator leak. The problem is daily driver is a subjective phrase. Some people don't like to drive safe, but they do it daily!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote