The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Keith Seymore

Re: Greetings from Georgia with snow and 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
I had a nice entertaining post made up, but then the computer died and I lost it all. Now, feeling rather lazy and enjoying a nice adult beverage after an 8 (yes eight) hour commute over what should have been a 30 minute drive, I offer for your entertainment and viewing pleasure:
Greetings from Michigan, and you have my best wishes to stay warm and safe.

But - in all seriousness, up here we call what you got "a light dusting" of snow...

K

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #27
68post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Greetings from Michigan, and you have my best wishes to stay warm and safe.

But - in all seriousness, up here we call what you got "a light dusting" of snow...

K

Here here.. can't miss work because of only 5"... even in [I]any[I] car ! We had our only "blizzard" since 1978 , but it brought 15 below zero temps too (wind-chill -40+, in '78 it was -75). In '78 that's when I left for the Keys to stay with family after three days stuck in my parents house ..
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #28
mMad Dawg

my daughter is going to school in Atlanta . She's laughing at the drivers there. Thy have had 3 snow days and closed the school down. The first day she drove to the school 3 times because she does a lot of her work in the labs there. She sent us a tongue in cheek video of her sledding down a hill ,hardly enough snow to go 20 feet.
mMad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #29
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Nice pic Kieth!

Here's one of mine outside of Winter Park a few years back. Almost 3ft of snow fell in 36 hours and managed to shut down Berthod pass for the first time in years. Got stuck up there an extra night since we couldn't drive back down after skiing. Note to those with kiddos...Trying to teach a kid how to ski with 3ft of powder is next to impossible..

Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
Here here.. can't miss work because of only 5"... even in [I]any[I] car !
I worked for GM truck for 30 years before I hopped over to the Chevy Volt program.

We had always joked: "...that's the problem with working for truck - no snow days!".

Then my wife reminded me...."but you don't work for truck any more, do you..."

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
rusty76

It's funny but uhh this was ice not snow. Snow we can deal with. Ice forget it. I reckon up north they don't get ice like we do. You get an inch of ice on the ground and it doesn't matter if your driving your grandpas tractor you aint goin nowhere. We got like an inch and a half maybe. We got snow here but down there I'm thinking they got ice.

By the way welcome to the show and we hope to see more pics of your truck. Please.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #32
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
It's funny but uhh this was ice not snow. Snow we can deal with. Ice forget it. I reckon up north they don't get ice like we do. You get an inch of ice on the ground and it doesn't matter if your driving your grandpas tractor you aint goin nowhere. We got like an inch and a half maybe. We got snow here but down there I'm thinking they got ice.

By the way welcome to the show and we hope to see more pics of your truck. Please.
This, the roads were like a ice skating ring. Y'all laugh all you want, you northerners with all your winter driving skills would have been in the ditch too. It doesn't matter on ice if you have 15 wheel drive. We got about an inch and a half here as well. I made it home just fine, but with several detours an it took about and hour instead of the normal 20 mins. Only used 4x4 once and didn't even have any weight in the back. Some of us are actually competent enough to drive in it...
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

hazard a week ago.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #34
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Been known to get it here too
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #35
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Greetings from Georgia with snow and 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
OMG, I just picked myself up off of the floor from laughing so hard! What's that, like an inch of snow and you have CHAINS! Oh mah gurd, make it stop! Jeez, I just snorted a snot bubble... hahahahaha made my day.

Props for making them yourself though!
Try it some time with no snow tires... we have little to no infrastructure dealing with snow since it only happens every 3-4 years to where it snows and sticks on the roads and causes an issue... plus, folks around here can't drive in the rain, much less ice. Our general philosophy is 'stay put', cuz it'll melt in a day or so.

However, the geniuses what's in charge didn't want to believe the weather people... so they waited until everyone was at work and in school, before they hit the panic button. The general rule of thumb for us that grew up around here is : if it freezes the night before and the temps are below freezing before the snow hits... stay put. Cuz it's gonna be an icy slip n' slide.

Another issue is 'Atlanta' is city of around 430,000 some odd thousand people... but the Metro Area of Atlanta is 5 million plus... all with different city/county governments and school systems strung out over hundreds and hundreds of square miles... and they don't get along or communicate.

Suburban Sprawl run amok.

It's a mess.

----

79 silverado,

dang good thinkin' there.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #36
flashed

Im just glad its all over with .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #37
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

the back yard

Idiot on the road

just being neighbourly
had some idiot turn into my lane last night on the way home from picking up dinner
I'll load that next...could also show my stuck up 78 bronco,(got stuck 3/4 up the laneway)after a bad storm
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #38
greenmtnboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
That's what I used to say for the first year or two I lived down here after spending most of my life all over New England. Then it hit me, there are two problems down here that are amplified by the majority of people not knowing how to handle the snow:

1) They have no spreader trucks. This means there is no salt/sand/gravel mixed into the snow/slush on the road.

2) There is a very high population density with TONS of cars. What happens is they churn and mash the snow up so it no longer sticks in the treads/siping of the tires for grip, then because they don't understand how to drive on the slush, they let it FREEZE because nobody is keeping moving.

When you cite to issue number one, what you wind up with is a solid sheet of ice with nothing to grip to on any of the roads. At least up north, you are driving on snow/packed snow with some abrasive sand/salt/gravel mixed in. Here, once the temp drops, its like driving across a skating rink. Then they get to the next problem, which is nothing to treat and help it melt, or keep what does melt from re-freezing. !
EXACTLY what I have been telling both my friends back in VT and the indignant Southerners who I offend. One guy said "It's worse here...we have ICE!" I said "last time I checked the stuff falling out of the sky is snow, it turns to ice because of the #1 problem...the PEOPLE.
greenmtnboy is offline   Reply With Quote