The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: gas tank location

i just can't believe the justifications for not spending a couple hundred bucks to relocate a fuel tank when there are just nothing but benefits and the only down side is $. it's just one thing that should be fixed that if heaven forbid you had an accident and (by some strange chance ) your family got injured(burned or died) how would you tell their mother that you could have fixed it but didn't want to spend $300.00 .But you will readily spend $ to install 3 point seat belts ????? REALLY ? it's located inside a closed cab good luck getting out while on fire !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #27
swamp rat

Maybe even if the tank didn't explode in a crash what if you rolled it and it ruptured the tank possibly by the jack ect, or the outlet tube broke or filler became separated at that rubber hose? even if it didn't ignite i can tell you gas can still burn your skin by contact. Between that and also dealing with the smell (vapors) in the cab always made me nervous. Yea the smell is not nearly as bad now that i changed the filler hose but still, it always bothered me.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #28
cdowns

still waitin on the documentation ??WHERE IS THE SMOKIN GUN??
your not provin a damn thing with your bigfoot type rants on exploding gastanks

wild speculation of unproven facts with not one documented case over the past 45or so years aint enough to loose sleep over
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 02-09-2014 at 02:24 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #29
BlacklandCamper

:popcorn:

Never seen, or heard of any car, or truck randomly bursting into flames from an accident that didn't involve some form of external tank, or improperly maintained equipment. The only photographic evidence I have seen came from mass media "special reports", and most of those were dis-proven as having been setup using pyrotechnics to achieve a desired result.

The only times I have seen vehicle fires involved one of two things.

Race fuel, including ethanol.
Faulty electrics, including stripped wiring.

Aircooled VW's were "notorious" for suffering from fuel fires due to old and worn fuel pumps. I know people who have only run factory style pumps, and NEVER had an issue. Not even in a rear end collision.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #30
Don Quixote

The original question posed here is what is worthwhile.

For cost, get a cab tank. It was already there the last 40 years and nobody spontaneously combusted.

If you drive a lot like I do, throw a second tank in the bed or under it. It doesn't matter where you put it. It's gasoline.

Unfortunately you started an argument that began a long time ago and is still raging for literally no reason.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #31
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
yes i saw that headline read a bit of it to detimine what they were talkin about and they said nothing about 67=72 chevy trucks in it

still waitin on the proof been waitin 25+ years for somebody to post profffff

everybody just talks in circles with no proof and all bullshirt
You know Cdowns... I just doesn't matter... If you want your gas tank in the cab with you then build it your way... QUIT DOGGING ON PEOPPLE THAT DON"T WANT IT IN THE CAB!!!!... I really don't give a rats ass if you want to blow yourself up or not... if you believe it is safe then DO IT!!!... If you believe it is safe then DO IT BY ALL MEANS!!!... Some of us have some common sense about ourselves and it just makes sense the closer you put flammable product to you the more likely in the event of a accident serious injury could happen... But I guess you just are not smart enough to understand that so maybe it is better you put the gas tank in your lap... Now Quit dogging people that actually have a brain... Dan
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #32
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklandCamper View Post
:popcorn:

Never seen, or heard of any car, or truck randomly bursting into flames from an accident that didn't involve some form of external tank, or improperly maintained equipment. The only photographic evidence I have seen came from mass media "special reports", and most of those were dis-proven as having been setup using pyrotechnics to achieve a desired result.

The only times I have seen vehicle fires involved one of two things.

Race fuel, including ethanol.
Faulty electrics, including stripped wiring.

Aircooled VW's were "notorious" for suffering from fuel fires due to old and worn fuel pumps. I know people who have only run factory style pumps, and NEVER had an issue. Not even in a rear end collision.
can you say Pinto????... LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #33
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
You know Cdowns... I just doesn't matter... If you want your gas tank in the cab with you then build it your way... QUIT DOGGING ON PEOPPLE THAT DON"T WANT IT IN THE CAB!!!!... I really don't give a rats ass if you want to blow yourself up or not... if you believe it is safe then DO IT!!!... If you believe it is safe then DO IT BY ALL MEANS!!!... Some of us have some common sense about ourselves and it just makes sense the closer you put flammable product to you the more likely in the event of a accident serious injury could happen... But I guess you just are not smart enough to understand that so maybe it is better you put the gas tank in your lap... Now Quit dogging people that actually have a brain... Dan
please post results about all the exploding gastanks in 67-72 chevy trucks is what i've been askin for

all i get is fairy tales about it happing i want the proof
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
midniteblues

well guys i think some people just perfer the orignalality of the oe tanks. too each there own.
I thought about makin a false filler neck in the oe spot(just too keep the look) and moving the tank.
but because finding a complete bedside spare carrier setup for a stepper is tough i made the desion to nix my whole plan and put the spare where it belongs an use the oe tank.
as for the risk of dieing because of my desion....i take that risk just driving on public roads everyday in anything i own.(put the phone down and drive!)

i dont care for the filler in the bed floor.i've seen some pretty slick filler setups
here on the board.i've also seen some rear tank setups that look way outa place back there.
the oe tank never looks outa place and it has worked for 40 some years. to me the oe tank is part of the history/charater of these old trucks and mine will stay along with my lap belts.

i think both grumpy and cliff have made there point here.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #35
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
please post results about all the exploding gastanks in 67-72 chevy trucks is what i've been askin for

all i get is fairy tales about it happing i want the proof
The only one that cares about "proof" of blowing yourself up is YOU.. So get off of it... For me it is the fact of the Gas smell in the cab and when filling the truck the gas dripping down the side of a clean truck just sucks and getting in behind the trim... so mine will fill from behind the Tail light... another good solution for guys with 68-72 is the ole Rear marker light filler trick...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #36
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
i just can't believe the justifications for not spending a couple hundred bucks to relocate a fuel tank when there are just nothing but benefits and the only down side is $. it's just one thing that should be fixed that if heaven forbid you had an accident and (by some strange chance ) your family got injured(burned or died) how would you tell their mother that you could have fixed it but didn't want to spend $300.00 .But you will readily spend $ to install 3 point seat belts ????? REALLY ? it's located inside a closed cab good luck getting out while on fire !
I have to agree here, proof or no proof if you knew there was a possibility however remote it was that there could be serious consequences reached in a collision hard enough from the side to split that tank and cause a fire. Would you be willing to risk the lives of those family members when you could have nearly eliminated that risk for a few hundred bucks and some time? I am on both sides of the radio in the emergency services and I am a firefighter and emergency responder in this country and I can tell you that the remote does and will and has happened. I HAVE my tank in the cab with me and as soon as I canI will be moving it to the outside,8 feet + is a whole lot more safe than 5 inches any way you look at it! That aside these are our trucks and anyone here should be free to have them as they please so if you think you should move it move it if not then dont but if you meet the remote you better be ready for the consequences!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
Kennuck

Look here at post # 6 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4848474
I seen another example on here I'll see if I can find it.

And post #25 on this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=117123

I'm all for doing what you want with these trucks and it is entirely up to the individual what they choose. I was burned in a gasoline fire when I was 8 years old, mine will never have an in cab tank.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear

Last edited by Kennuck; 02-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #38
glider_6969

As that I was never a fan of the tank inside either, this what I did, since I had the room, Had this custom made out of stainless that I had, for around $200.00
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  55.8 KB
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #39
Kennuck

Hey Glider we are practically neighbours, your two tone stepper looks interesting any pics on here of your build?
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
Tillik

I recently replaced my in cab fuel tank. Eventually I'm going to relocate it but I need to decide if I'm going EFI or not. No reason to make that move right now since my tank is brand new. Have been contemplating a Vortec upgrade but that seems super costly.
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #41
Don Quixote

@ glider, that is a really nice setup. I have been looking at in bed tanks for a few years now but at over $1,000, it is a bit much to come up with. I need to do something, 20 gallons just isn't enough when I am pulling my trailer.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #42
englands 71

I know this post is old but I used to date a girl and her aunt , uncle and cousin all died in a 1972 chevy truck in 1987 in Glasgow Ky. They was T-boned right in the driver cab side on 31 E south of Glasgow - the tank didn't explode but it busted and fuel soaked all of them. They burned up in the cab. The truck was an orange and white long bed with white spoke wheels. Ill never forget it. I believe when its your time its your time but this accident happened and I don't have to prove anything to anyone.
englands 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #43
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

I'm still waiting for a reply to my original question-specifically: Do all the relocated gas tank kits only allow you to fill from the bed, or is there a way to route to the original 'side location' where the tank was inside the truck?
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:24 AM   #44
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
I'm still waiting for a reply to my original question-specifically: Do all the relocated gas tank kits only allow you to fill from the bed, or is there a way to route to the original 'side location' where the tank was inside the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Larry.sisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:33 AM   #45
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.sisk View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm would like to be able to show you what I am doing on my 72 short bed right now because I didn't like the idea of the fuel receiver being in the bed but iam having trouble uploading pictures I went to the wrecking yard and got the whole filler Assy. From a 2002 silverado and put it in the left side panel any way let me try again to post some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 01:35 AM   #46
Larry.sisk

Quote:
I'm would like to be able to show you what I am doing on my 72 short bed right now because I didn't like the idea of the fuel receiver being in the bed but iam having trouble uploading pictures I went to the wrecking yard and got the whole filler Assy. From a 2002 silverado and put it in the left side panel any way let me try again to post some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #47
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
How can I get more than one pic at a time?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #48
Larry.sisk

Quote:
How can I get more than one pic at a time?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #49
Larry.sisk

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #50
Trackbar

I worked on a 67 C-10 last week that the customer had left the factory filler neck in the cab and ran a pipe thru the back of the cab to the rear mounted gas tank. In my view it could have been made alot cleaner. But it worked and still had the old school look. Now I let my wife make the choice to move the tank for me. It made her feel safer in the truck and it gave me the option to get a better stero system. So to each there own. its your truck. Do what "YOU" want.
Trackbar is offline   Reply With Quote