The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
roadmaster301

Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

I would say go for it. I bought my 68 c30 sight unseen and drove it home 500 miles on a 95 degree day lol and That truck has 307 with 5:13 gears.But I would just check the truck over real well before you drive it for any extensive leaks or things out of the ordinary. I also had a chase car loaded down with almost very tool I would need which I don't know if your going to have but it helps with peace of mind.
90 Geo Tracker(dune beater)
89 Honda Civic (winter beater)
roadmaster301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #27
freezmcnally

its great hearing all of this. you guys seem divided somewhat with a mix of yays and nays. but sounds like more adventurers on the site so far!
freezmcnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
Coley

Smile Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

I think you should go for it....I did something similar with my wife once in bringing back a '66 Chevy (6cyl-3ott) from Florida to Ontario. Worked out well, but I had to replace the points in Pennsylvania in the middle of a snow storm...LOL.
However...you need a really, really, really good plan....then a bunch of really good back up plans!!
Figure out a route...find out where there are possible stop points, repair shops or....get this....some of Members close by from the Forum!!! I'm pretty sure most members would be only too happy to help you out if you suffered a brake down near them. If I was closer...I would.
That way, if things come off the rails mechanically for you....just shift into your plan b's or c's and you aren't far from help and/or a good way back home.
Again...I would do it.....plan it well (very well)...and enjoy the trip....oh, and tell your wife about all the back up plans so she gets a level of comfort and confidence in the trip.
Ask the seller before you head there...is there anything that needs doing on this truck prior to an 1800 mile trip...you might be surprised at a few comments like..."well, it could use tires...or brakes...or a muffler...or a new radiator". He may not know what your travel plans are but he has no reason now not to be honest to help you out with some info....and maybe even a few pre-trip upgrades or repairs at a discount!
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #29
59bones

That red truck? I'd drive it for sure, looks like a clean, simple organized build.

Yes do the mechanic check for brakes and fuel leaks. Get a couple extra keys made. Of course bring extras of oil, water, fuel. Bring some extra small repair items like plugs, fuel filter, thermostat, radiator cap, points(?), etc.
Small tool bag with the usual stuff including the proverbial duct tape.

What's the worst thing that could happen? Everything is relatively simple to fix except for internal engine issues. (assuming you can get parts)

Great idea about AAA and towing insurance.

It would be great to blog on here as you go. If you do that, there will be lots of folks that will come to your aid.
59bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #30
Supercheyene

I did the same thing. Flew to St Joseph, MO and drove back past St Louis arch with the wife. I agree AAA is the best way to go. My ac went out so a little grumbling from the wife. About 1100 miles and a short vacation and still have the truck since 2005.
Supercheyene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #31
Ekliptix

I did it in my sight unseen 72 super cheyenne. 2,100 miles from Cali to Houston. I think I have 4:10s too. Spent $700-$800 maybe more on gas at 12mpg. Didn't have a single issue or even add oil, knock on wood. Did lots of 70mph, maxed at 100mph . Shipping would have been cheaper but the road trip is one of my great memories from 2013 (Canadian transplant living in 'Merica). I bought an AAA membership before, just in case, brought a jerry can of gas, a spare tire and rim, very basic tools, oil, water for the rad, spare belts, and a camera. Highly recommend.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595586

Great looking truck!
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #32
kentucky_smith

Some inspiration.

kentucky_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #33
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
I did it in my sight unseen 72 super cheyenne. 2,100 miles from Cali to Houston. I think I have 4:10s too. Spent $700-$800 maybe more on gas at 12mpg. Didn't have a single issue or even add oil, knock on wood. Did lots of 70mph, maxed at 100mph . Shipping would have been cheaper but the road trip is one of my great memories from 2013 (Canadian transplant living in 'Merica). I bought an AAA membership before, just in case, brought a jerry can of gas, a spare tire and rim, very basic tools, oil, water for the rad, spare belts, and a camera. Highly recommend.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595586

Great looking truck!
transplant here as well. from toronto originally. Lovin 'merica though. just insured it today but many guys here had a good point about AAA. so much good advice here.
maybe i will post along the way. you are all convincing me to go for it. as long as i can find a gap in my schedule it looks likely. still gonna get transport quote in case
Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #34
DGulliver

Drive it! You might even mess around and have some fun. I swear, some folks' trucks don't ever even leave the neighborhood, what good is that?
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #35
dbash

First, Congratulation on finding your truck!

Second, Cool Thread.

Third, You have been given some solid advice here, I strongly agree with the AAA membership in the event you need a tow it will save a lot of stress. And posting along the way on this thread will not only entertain the rest of us but will probably be a great security net for you and any issues you may encounter along the way.

Fourth, I would go to a Oil Stop or whatever is close and have all the fluids changed/Topped off for sure. Check the brakes, hoses and belts too. And don't get in a hurry....

Fifth, The Grand Canyon..... Its worth seeing, dont get me wrong, but I would either settle for "looking in" from the observation platform or splurge and rent a chopper ride if you want to see it in all its glory. I would be a lot more worried about hiking back up out of that then driving across country. But then I am not as spry as I used to be.

Enjoy the trip/vacation no matter what it throws at you. I think its an awesome idea, Best of Luck and Safe Travels!

2008 Dodge 3500 Blue Tech
2013 Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Landcruiser Rock Crawler LS1
1969 4X4 Resto Mod
dbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #36
davischevy

It may have been said, but keep us posted on the trip, and with the support you have on here, if you do have trouble on the road, ask for help on here. I've had great luck finding helpful people when I was in need.

BTW, bring that thing up to Harrison, AR on May 17th for the Crawdad Days Car show. You might win enough money to pay for the gas on this trip.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #37
allchevy58

If you want to check it over before you leave, you could bring it to my place and we can put it on the lift and check it out. Bought my 71' Monte Carlo in Boise, flew up with a toolbox and drove it home.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #38
HSRACER

Ship it! The nostalgia of driving it will wear off after about 6 hours of 3000 rpm driving. I drove mine home from 5 hours away and couldn't stand it. You are talking about a 24+ hour drive under the best circumstances.

I bought a daily driver once with overdrive and the po told me he just completed a 400 mile trip the week before. I flew up to ohio from Texas and started my 18 hour return trip that night. At 2am I was stranded in a walmart parking lot with a toasted automatic transmission. Needless to say it was very expensive to get us both home. I spent triple what I could have by just shipping it and would have saved a ton of aggravation.

Again the romantic side of me said take a fun drive back. All I can say is I am so glad I didn't have my lovely wife with me to enjoy that education!
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #39
slowcpe

Cool thread and good looking truck.

I would do it. Have some fun and guaranteed to have some good stories...either good or bad. Two things I would highly consider before doing it: have a contingency plan that involves a truck and trailor and how well will your wife handle a possible catastrophe. I just asked her if she would do a trip like that with me and I got a "yeah...no". I think it would be cool.

I trailered my first truck home and it was fun but uneventful. My current truck I was hell bent on driving it the hour home. Took a few tries to get it running (changed carbs and clogged filter), finding out the wipers didn't work once on the road and rain on a day with no precip in the forecast, and the having the trans popout of 3rd gear about every 3-5 miles. It was a suicide mission but a trip I'm glad I took....now. I had a different opinion for few days.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #40
JasonLS1

id choose road trip for the adventure factor as i've done a few with my previous cars/trucks, and like others have obviously pointed out, AAA, tools, etc,.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #41
Spartan

I say plan it. Do it. Grand canyon is nice.
I rode my mountain bike from lake Tahoe to havre Montana on a whim in my late twenties. There were some small towns in Nevada that were interesting and snake river canyon is deeper than the grand canyon...I thought that was cool. Idaho at the top of the continental divide was chilly at night but sunrise was something else. ... I digress... The point being if you have the time and a plan go for it. We only get this one life and it's a blessing. Oh and bring a copy of "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Cheers

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #42
Tinkermc

About 5-6 years ago I bought a 69 Cheby in Washington state and drove it home in Va. It had 411 gears ate gas and the station it came with, rode liike a buckboard, had no power steering. To say the least it was a memorible trip, went by myself. Would have a lot cheaper to ship but it was a time of my life I will never forget. GO 4 IT !!!!
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
70Custom10Nut

Wink Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

A quart of oil, a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze, a set of combo wrenches, a pair of vise grips, a pair of pliers and a 10 inch adjustable. These items along with some Duct tape and jumper cables, are what is ALWAYS in my truck (I carry the same tools in my Harley tool bag). They have kept me from being stranded a few times, and I've even been the good samaritan when ever needed. Check the hoses, tires, brakes, lights, and fluid levels before you start off, and go for it. Take your time and enjoy the drive, and the time with your wife.
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #44
rocks409

I paid $600 to have mine shipped from Az. to north Tx. 3 months ago. 350, 3ott,,, 4,10 gears. The engine is happy at 60 mph but sings pretty good at 65 mph. When you figure cost of gas,, the transport seems like a good deal to me , and was. Not to mention the risk of breakdown, accident, etc. So, my vote would be to pay the transport fee. But, another factor is that I'm an old man. Don't need any adventures so I played it safe.
rocks409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #45
srvivor71

Hi there freez. I bought my truck in Idaho and my wife and I drove it back home to NY. My baggage for the flight out included 50 pounds of basic tools, duct tape, etc. The truck was in good shape and I felt pretty confident it could make the trip, but we did have money set aside for transport just in case it didn't. We ran into a problem with the tires, which showed really good tread but were old. We got a blowout early on, which could have easily had grim results. We were very lucky. 4 new tires later, we were on our way again. We had a great trip and took in all the sights that were along the way (Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, etc.). It was one of the best vacations we ever had. Good Luck!
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #46
freezmcnally

thanks guys. i really appreciate all the support and comments. I've read every one. i made a list of items based on what many of you have said. My wife is more excited than i am! we will prep as much as possible and collect supplies in reno, extra fluids, some tools, some camping gear, fix a flat etc etc. all because of suggestions from you guys!

she is a photographer and is definitely excited to document it. I will post a route plan when its finalized. the obvious stops being vegas on day one. from vegas to grand canyon, petrified forest, winslow arizona etc. i will maybe do a running post throughout trip and then post the whole thing when i get back. should be pretty epic.
the one thing i never posted is the back story. both my parents passed away 3 years ago at this time of year. 3 mnths apart. one of my childhood memories was playing in my dads truck (69 c10, red) when i was about 5-6 yrs old.) it hauled his race car, and he was a sign painter (the old school kind). He is the one that got me into racing. Well i didn't notice until buying this truck, the sticker on the rad support. it says ken's speed and custom. his name was Ken.
life is always full of strange coincidences….or signs….whatever the case, i feel like it means i got the right one, and this trip will be one of my cooler experiences in life!.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #47
67 cst swb

Pay for a AAA membership. it is worth it. PM me... I will get you my phone number... for if you have any issues in the Vegas Area.
Another idea. If your friend is in Reno still, have him drive the truck a couple times just to get a feel for it.
So, as you can see from my statements above. I am all for jumping in it and taking a road trip. It looks like it has recently had attention given to it. I'd say go for it. Especially if the wife is on board.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #48
68panelman

Good luck. An ol'timer friend of mine always said,"If you can drive it around the block...You can drive it around the world!!!".
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #49
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky_smith View Post
that is inspiring. and not even that well planned!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #50
davischevy

What's your destination in Arkansas?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote