The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
FirstOwner69

Re: Where does coolant go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
I can't type all this out so I'll copy/paste.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-do...r-cap-work.htm

"a protective cap that’s actually a pressure valve and a tank on each side to catch the coolant fluid overflow."

"When coolant fluid overheats, it expands, causing the fluid to become highly pressurized. When it enters the radiator, the pressure increases even more because it’s in an enclosed space. The radiator cap acts as a release valve set to open at the maximum pressure point. Usually this is set at a density of 15 pounds per square inch (psi). When the fluid pressure inside the radiator exceeds 15 psi, it forces the valve open, allowing heat to escape and excess coolant fluid to overflow into the tanks on either side of the radiator."
I agree 100% with this, except it should say pressure, not density. However, it was written after overflow tanks became standard issue. Before overflow tanks, radiators were not filled to the top leaving an air cushion at the top. If the air pressure reached the pressure of the cap due to coolant expansion, the air would escape, hopefully, allowing enough room for coolant expansion without overflowing. If this were not the case, coolant would have been constantly puked on the roads. Certainly, it was more common than today with overflow tanks installed, but it wasn't an everyday occurrence.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
imjeff

Your properly functioning radiator cap gives you about a 45 degree higher boiling point (Boyle's Law, I believe). Once you exceed that the water in your radiator flashes to steam expanding around 1700 times. I grew up in the mountains in the 60's and 70's and can tell you that "boiling over" was an everyday occurrence. Cars and trucks beside the road emitting huge clouds of coolant were common, even on new vehicles.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #28
litew8

I'd imagine the altitude would/could/does effect engine performance, pressures etc. liquids. Good comment imjeff
Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #29
nolimitssjca

My 66 Chevelle at 7000' never gave me a problem back in the day. But I did pass other newer cars parked beside the road. Keeping proper coolant and a good water pump was always the ticket.
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote