The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #26
67c10rustbuket

Re: Brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool18 View Post
The copper nickel line I used was made for a company called Brakequip.com.....I say made for cause I actually work for the company that makes the tubing. And we also make the aluminum gas line for Moroso and Stefs.........And if you really want to kick me I did all my brake lines and tranny lines in copper nickel and aluminum gas line for about 25 bucks. I guess its just want of the few perks I get from work and speaking of Moroso tomorrow at work I have to anneal about 350 1/2" aluminum 25' coils and pack them to ship. If I get a chance I'll try and take some pics and show you guys how the stuff is made.

I have been curious about this stuff and I imagine no one would know better than you to answer my questions. So that being said can you tell me the max recommended pressure rating and burst pressure of the nicopp tubing? Wall thickness? I work in an engineering lab model shop of an HVAC company and we use a lot of copper (refrigeration grade) and I always hear people on here starting the old "copper work hardens" stuff. While I know what we do with copper and the grade we use is superior to the crap people buy at the hardware store that is meant for plumbing (water) not pressure. I can see how Nicopp mix would give a much higher burst pressure. I always like to know the pressure ratings before I consider buying a product. I purchased aluminum 3/8" for my fuel lines from Russell because they were the only company that listed a pressure rating for their tubing.

And for the sake of this thread I also have inline tube brake lines, C+ is my rating on that..

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #27
67c10rustbuket

This is all they say on brakequip.com

"Exceeds international standards"

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
I have been an In-Line Tube dealer for many years and I must say that most of the time they get it right, however if they get it wrong it is their opinion that it is never their fault!! They will make you send lots of pictures, (for what reason I don't know) because in the end you will have to send them your originals so they can copy them!
In line Tube uses a CNC bender. They compare the photo's to their CAD file rendering to look for errors. If you do send originals that aren't too bent up they use a reference table and prototyping arm to form a 3D plot of the tubes you sent for comparison to that same file. That is the same process they use to make a prototype set of tubes not currently a part of their catalog.

They usually do get the bends correct but when they are bad they are very very bad. They just can not believe their magic machine can make a mistake but the fact is, the tech running the machine probably called up the wrong file.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #29
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
some info helps to determine the problem if it is them or you just dont know how to order the right stuff
Meow. No wonder your avatar is a cat :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #30
oldschool18

I have know idea what the ratings on the tubing are I just get the work order and run it, but I think the wall is .017 but im not sure but I can find out. The brake lines and gas lines are made out of large coils, my side of the plant runs straight lengths. I just get to run them in the furnace to anneal them.......Now I will try and explain this without sounding stupid....We get copper and brass products in as coils or in straight length, now the coils aren't small they are 54" or 84" and come in all different OD and wall thicknesses. Like the Moroso alum tubing starts out as .753 x .049 and then it gets drawn down to about .670 x .042 and then drawn again down to the finish at .500 x .035.....now that's for 1/2 inch line there are many others.....3/8....1/4 and so on. The copper you buy in most hardware stores for water isn't crap its just made for inside water line..........it all depends on the alloy the size, hardness and how it is used......well first pic is of finished coils coming out of the furnace...second one is of 54" aluminum 303 alloy coils and the third is of the machine that makes them in to 18" coils, the guy was working on setting it up or I was going to take some video of how the machine works.
Name:  work 016.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  work 017.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  work 018.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  76.1 KB

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB