The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
mechanicalman

Re: How Quickly Should I have Oil Pressure after Replacing Oil Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1dr View Post
I agree with you about putting *a little* grease on the gears and squishing it out. It's the novice engine builders that you need to be very specific about telling them about how to do things. Even though you know how much to apply to be safe, they will probably just fill it full of grease and let it ride. You're not teaching just a couple of kids on your block...this forum reaches out to the World with thousands of readers that are just learning.
You couldn't get enough grease in there to plug or even restrict the oil filter if you tried. Completely idiot-proof, impossible to put too much grease in there. Nobody has ever plugged an oil filter putting grease in the oil pump and nobody ever will.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
Turbo1dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
For rear main seal replacement, you don't need to prime the oil pump.
Quote:
You DO need to take the oil pump apart and grease the gears so that it pumps immediately.
I'm unclear about what you said above. I'm a dummy and I'm just learning how to work on engines.
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #28
Kennuck

Quote:
I must have done about a thousand of them wrong! LOL Well I must be the luckiest man on earth because I've never ever had a problem using grease on the pump gears and I'm also 100% sure I nor anyone else ever will.
Well I got that information from a factory repair manual for AMC V8s. Granted they had an external oil pump in the timing cover much like a Buick engine. The compatibility with oil would be the same no matter what engine you are running.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #29
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

If you are SURE you got it coupled properly to the bottom of the distributor using the plastic sleeve, you now have a couple of options.

Pull distributor and prime it with the tool and a drill and try it again. It should have primed itself after 2 minutes though. Pull the valve cover and see if its oiling if the gauge still isn't showing anything. If no go its either not coupled or the P.O.S. parts store oil pump isn't any good and you will need to swap it out.

As usual this is one persons opinion and you know what they say about opinions!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #30
javelinmania

Well, I was finally able to get back to the truck to figure out what was wrong with the oil pump. I had been sick for 6 weeks and then January was cold and rainy. I wanted to see if the pick up unit was soaked in oil so I tried to remove the oil pan without emptying it first. Big Mistake. Fortunately, I had placed a tarp under the truck and cardboard on top of that so no oil reached the drive way. I was covered in it, but that's normal for me.

The pick up unit was covered in oil. I took a tape measure and measured its position, it would have been at the bottom of the oil pan. I couldn't remember how many bolts held the oil pump on so as I was feeling around the pump for bolts I noticed that the pump was moving. Apparently when I installed it, I only hand tightened it. I took it off and by turning the rod, it was pumping oil. So, I put it back on and tighten it up properly. I now have oil pressure.

The truck won't start and it took me a while to figure out that with all of the movement of the oil pump rod, inserting and removing the HEI (replacing it at the same time), I need to go through the procedure to figure out where TDC is and re install the distributor. While I haven't done it before, it doesn't look that complicated.

Once it is running, then I can turn my attention to the manual 3 on the tree and why it gets stuck in one gear. I disconnected the rods at the end of the steering column, and the column shifter moves freely. So at least I can rule out the internals of the steering column. Plenty of instructions on this list, so I hope it won't take long to figure out what's wrong.

Saturday looks to be busy - as long as its not raining. Then on to the next item on the long list.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #31
Resto-Rand

Hey J-mania, not being a putz here but if you do a search for the info about the shifter problem you will find a post about how to set it up.

I honestly am just bad with computers or I would provide a link.

If you really can't find it let me know. I'll get my son to send it to you, lol.

Good luck, I'm working on something everyday too.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #32
javelinmania

I have the articles on the shifting problems. Everything from the grease in the column hardening (which I just ruled out), to the bushings in the ends of the rods (I have new ones ready to install), to aligning everything at the end of the steering column to an improperly installed clutch. I do know that the clutch had been replaced just prior to my purchasing the truck and then it sat.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote