The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
gipper

Re: Antique plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper truck View Post
I believe you are limited to car shows or events in Michigan.

Usually law enforcement looks the other way unless you are really abusing it. I have an acquaintance who is a state trooper and this is what he shared with me.
This I copied right off the DMV site for Michigan:

Michigan also allows you to register your antique vehicle with a same-year general use Michigan license plate. The plate must be authentic and feature the correct colors for the plate year.

To register, you must submit:

A completed http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hp...pdfApplication and Certification (Form BDVR-96)
Proof of ownership, such as a copy of your title.
A color photocopy, scan or photograph of the plate you intend to use. Do not send the actual plate.
Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance.
A check for $35.
Authentic plates cannot be registered in person. Mail is your only option. Send to the address specified on the application form.
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
davepl

I know a guy that did this: instead of licensing it as an antique, he licensed it with a vanity plate and then got a reproduction 1968 plate with that number. Technically not OK, but it's not deceiving anyone and the police don't care, the VIN and plate number are all jiggy.

I tried to do it with a reproduction plate (openly) but the plate numbering did not match the numbering scheme (like ABC-123) for that year so couldn't do it.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I know a guy that did this: instead of licensing it as an antique, he licensed it with a vanity plate and then got a reproduction 1968 plate with that number. Technically not OK, but it's not deceiving anyone and the police don't care, the VIN and plate number are all jiggy.

I tried to do it with a reproduction plate (openly) but the plate numbering did not match the numbering scheme (like ABC-123) for that year so couldn't do it.
if your state allows YOM plates there are quite a few on the internet, i got mine off the auction site

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
hdff

Here in Texas antique plates limit you to shows, parades & to the repair shop and have no state inspection, with that said you can register YOM plates on antiques or classic registration. we have regular, classic(at least 25 years old) and antique(at least 25 yrs old) registeration. the difference in classic and antique is what i stated above for antique and classic has no restrictions(except 25 yrs). mine is registered as a classic and i bought some YOM plates for it cause i think it is cool to have the YOM"s on it. this is my 3rd classic car and my 3rd set of classic plates.
as far as insurance i have mine insured full coverage with an agreed value of 25K with a 6000 mile a year restriction(not my daily) for $200 a year, i can't complain about that!
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #30
javelinmania

In South Carolina, you can put Year of Manufacturer plates on the truck and they are just like any other plate - no restrictions. The key is finding an excellent plate and also there are lots of plates that will conflict with modern plate numbers. I purchased a set of 70 plates only to find out I read the restricted tag number list wrong. Oh well. I will keep looking for an excellent pair (even though I only need one plate). Until then, I will keep my Square Dancing plate on the truck. That alone makes it unique. I've paid my two year fee for the plate - so I'm not in too much hurry to find a good set of 1970 plates.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #31
slow-1

Here is a good thread on this topic.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=596009
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote