The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #26
rich weyand

Re: 1985 4x4 Crate Engine Swap old school 350 or Vortec 350

A further note on modern vs older cam designs. When designing a cam, you really want the valve to be completely open when you want it open, and completely shut when you want it shut, but you can't have that: it has to move between the two positions.

Compression will not begin until the cam is completely shut, and the power in the power stroke will end as soon as the cam opens and dumps the pressure in the expanding charge. On the other hand, good flow into or out of the chamber will not begin until the cam is pretty far open.

Cam design is a compromise between these issues, tuned to the purpose of the engine, including the weight of the vehicle and how it will be used.

These compromises got a lot less severe with the high-speed ramps of modern cam designs. Using computers, it was much easier to speed up the ramps on the cam -- have less time between partially open and fully open -- and still maintain reasonable wear and not float the valves. The computer can figure out the cam-to-lifter pressure at every point on the cam lobe, at every rpm, and all that sort of thing. So cam ramps have gotten much faster. The result is that, with a modern cam design, compression can start sooner, raising the dynamic compression ratio and therefore torque, and the push on the power stroke can last longer without cutting into flow rates, increasing both torque and horsepower.

The best way to tell a modern cam design from an old one is to subtract the .050 valve duration from the advertised duration. Old-school cams may be 70 degrees difference. Modern cams will be more in the 40-50 range. The difference that makes on the performance that can be achieved in tuning the other cam parameters should not be underestimated.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #27
nbrfd007

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Experience is a great teacher.
nbrfd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
csdineley

I put this motor in my truck last year. (http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...30283/10002/-1) Wasn't hard at all. Yes, it will run you over your budget of $2000. I think I ended up at $2800 total. But it's been a great motor so far.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #29
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

292-6 with Clifford goodies?

Alright, that aside, if it's an eight you want, I'd go with something along Rich's lines, and I'd try and have it built somewhere local and reputable where you'll have some direct recourse if something goes wrong.

I worked for the Portland Branch of Jones Automotive Engines (now Spokane-based S&J) for several years, and we virtually never sold an engine to anyone outside of our immediate delivery area, for the simple fact that warranty claims were difficult to process via the phone and third-party shippers.

While Jones built gorgeous, meticulous engines, things can and did go wrong, and it served everyone better if we could drive out to a shop and physically see the engine in question. Furthermore, customers appreciated being able to come directy to our facility and speak directly to the people with whom they did business. This was in line with the wishes of the owners, and when they retired and sold out to S&S in 2005, they left behind a legacy of integrity and lot of well-built motors.

Food for thought...
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote