The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #26
swamp rat

Re: Garage heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
My garage is about 750 sq ft. (Approx 24x32x10 ft ceiling) The doors are insulated and I have about r-11 in the walls & r-19 in the ceilings. I looked hard at natural gas. (Didn't want to run the pipe or cut holes in the wall for venting. I was watching my budget too. I settled on a Fahrenheit (sp?) 5000 watt electric from Amazon for about $250. I cut the Sheetrock & ran about 25 or so feet of #10 wire (If I remember correctly) up to a spot on the wall about 8 feet up, close to where I had mounted the heater. I also bought a 3 prong plug. I had an electrician come in, hook the wire to the plug up close to the heater, & hook the wire to a 30 amp breaker in the box. By cutting the Sheetrock, it only took 30-40 minutes for the electrician to have it up & running. He charged me $50 for his labor which I thought was extremely fair. Most of the calculators I used indicated I needed 7500 to 10,000 watts for the size of space. I just didn't want to spend the additional money & figured I would wear a coat if needed. I was pleasantly surprised that this has worked really well. There were several days temperatures out side dropped to between 10-15 degrees F. I turned the heater on & set the thermostat up to about 3/4's. After about 45 minutes, I came out to shirtsleeve temps. Your mileage may vary but it was a great solution for me.
Hi Freddo, I forgot to post back on this thread, i took a plunge and bought the King 5700 watt heater, a couple reasons were this was 5700W instead of 5000W, the other is the switch that allows me to run it as a fan only or shut it off completely, found a place to mount it in my overly packed garage and bought 25' of SO cable and a 30 amp plug, i hard wired to the unit and now have a 25' built in cord, i plug it into my welders 30 amp outlet when i need it. I'm a little disappointed in the volume of air it produces, i'd still like to be able to compare it to the one you have or New Air for both heat and airflow..

Right now my biggest problem is the lack of weather stripping on the garage doors, i'm working that now. I ran it for an hour and i could feel that the air had warmed up, but by the doors it was pretty drafty and the heat was hanging at chest and head level, and cold below that, back inside the garage in the other stall the heat was down to my knees.

The one you have i believe is the same as the other one i was considering, the New Air G73 but just a different name.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #27
Freddo

Your heater looks a lot like mine. I looked at the G-73 and I think it was really close to mine as well. Can't remember what made me go for the Farenheat over the G-73. It doesn't put out near the air that a 'torpedo' heater puts out, but it has worked well for me.
I believed you mentioned that your garage doors weren't insulated along with needing weatherstrip.
I can't speak to the weatherstrip, but a friend of mine installed that foil coated bubble wrap stuff on his uninsulated garage doors. I think he bought it at Home Depot and it comes in a roll and is about 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick and is about 18 +/- inches wide. I think he used double sided tape or maybe some spray adhesive on some of it. I was skeptical about this making much of a difference, but he said it made a ton of difference and was a lot less expensive than buying insulated doors.
Attached Images

Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #28
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
Your heater looks a lot like mine. I looked at the G-73 and I think it was really close to mine as well. Can't remember what made me go for the Farenheat over the G-73. It doesn't put out near the air that a 'torpedo' heater puts out, but it has worked well for me.
I believed you mentioned that your garage doors weren't insulated along with needing weatherstrip.
I can't speak to the weatherstrip, but a friend of mine installed that foil coated bubble wrap stuff on his uninsulated garage doors. I think he bought it at Home Depot and it comes in a roll and is about 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick and is about 18 +/- inches wide. I think he used double sided tape or maybe some spray adhesive on some of it. I was skeptical about this making much of a difference, but he said it made a ton of difference and was a lot less expensive than buying insulated doors.
Thanks for the tip in the insulation, i'll check into it.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #29
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I know i when i bought my new range for the kitchen they asked if i had a 3 or 4 wire 220V service then provided the pig tail plug i needed, so am i correct in assuming i can wire one of these free standing units either 3 wire or 4 wire?
There would be no reason for a 4 wire tail as the resistive heater coil and fan motor both would not require a neutral connection.

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #30
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

just got done installing this in my shop.32x42 stick framed with r-21 in walls and finished with metal and a commercial style t-bar dropped ceiling. reznor 100k btu on propane. tank is outside. heats up very fast.
Attached Images

61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #31
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
There would be no reason for a 4 wire tail as the resistive heater coil and fan motor both would not require a neutral connection.
Thanks!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's