The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2015, 05:47 AM   #26
Dougtpg

Re: Looking for some guidance with my first project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I'll take that as my cue to stop. Enjoy your pickup.
Thanks for the help bud! Greatly appreciated!
Dougtpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
Dougtpg

Hey guys! Little bit of an update and a few more questions and would love some input!

- I picked up a 600 Holley carb for a steal and have a 4bbl intake for it, what else do I need to make the conversion?

- what sizes of vacuum lines do I need to plumb everything up? The old lines were a mess and rotted in more places than one. (No power brake booster)

- first major project is getting it running well, I had it fired on the old carb with gas that has been sitting for over a year but it didn't want to stay going. I'm going to clean the tank, new fuel filter and do the carb swap. It has a new distributer and wires, I'll throw so new plugs in it, anything else I should do?

- second major project is the brakes. Its currently leaking fluid in a few places and I know if I start patching I'm only going to make more work for myself and I want this to be as reliable as possible when done so I'm going to do it right the first time. Besides for all the lines and hoses, what else do I need? What size brake fittings do I need? If someone has a complete list of brake parts, or a good resource for information that would be great. I think I will go ahead and replace calipers and shoes/pads and drums/rotors. I also think I may need a new master cylinder, is it worth doing the power brake conversion? It's not going to be anything near a performance truck anytime soon.

- Once I get it running, brakes working, and my transmission issues sorted, its suspension and steering. Whats some things I should start thinking about doing to get this ol' girl as good as new without breaking the bank to badly.

- Are there any essential manuals of reference books I should look into buying as I move forward with this?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions, but I fairly new to the automotive world, and none of my family or friends are big into cars or anything, so I'm learning and I want to do it right the first time. This whole classic auto thing is a whole lot different than the dirt bikes, atvs and snowmobiles that im used to. Thanks to anyone who chimes in!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #28
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtpg View Post
Hey guys! Little bit of an update and a few more questions and would love some input!

- I picked up a 600 Holley carb for a steal and have a 4bbl intake for it, what else do I need to make the conversion?

- what sizes of vacuum lines do I need to plumb everything up? The old lines were a mess and rotted in more places than one. (No power brake booster)

- first major project is getting it running well, I had it fired on the old carb with gas that has been sitting for over a year but it didn't want to stay going. I'm going to clean the tank, new fuel filter and do the carb swap. It has a new distributer and wires, I'll throw so new plugs in it, anything else I should do?

- second major project is the brakes. Its currently leaking fluid in a few places and I know if I start patching I'm only going to make more work for myself and I want this to be as reliable as possible when done so I'm going to do it right the first time. Besides for all the lines and hoses, what else do I need? What size brake fittings do I need? If someone has a complete list of brake parts, or a good resource for information that would be great. I think I will go ahead and replace calipers and shoes/pads and drums/rotors. I also think I may need a new master cylinder, is it worth doing the power brake conversion? It's not going to be anything near a performance truck anytime soon.

- Once I get it running, brakes working, and my transmission issues sorted, its suspension and steering. Whats some things I should start thinking about doing to get this ol' girl as good as new without breaking the bank to badly.

- Are there any essential manuals of reference books I should look into buying as I move forward with this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-K20-Pi...ke%3AChevrolet

It's impossible to make a parts list without seeing the truck. It has a lot to do with the service history, what's been done recently, etc. I'd fix what is obvious like leaks, worn out pads, etc. IMO you replace merely because you don't know it's age the springs/hardware on the drums and hardware kit on the disk to be sure the calipers are moving.

If all the rubber (master cyl seals, wheel cyl seals, caliper seals, brake hoses) appear to be old, cracked or leaking should be replaced, and you are right if you want to do it all at once because of the lack of service history info and yes, if it's all the same age you will be chasing one leak after the other.

At this point, you should consider up-grading to power brakes if you feel inclined to do so but you can do it later as well.

Stopping is your #1 priority.

You will just have to wing it on vacuum hose sizes, unless someone chimes in. I've included some pics to get you started.
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #29
Dougtpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-K20-Pi...ke%3AChevrolet

It's impossible to make a parts list without seeing the truck. It has a lot to do with the service history, what's been done recently, etc. I'd fix what is obvious like leaks, worn out pads, etc. IMO you replace merely because you don't know it's age the springs/hardware on the drums and hardware kit on the disk to be sure the calipers are moving.

If all the rubber (master cyl seals, wheel cyl seals, caliper seals, brake hoses) appear to be old, cracked or leaking should be replaced, and you are right if you want to do it all at once because of the lack of service history info and yes, if it's all the same age you will be chasing one leak after the other.

At this point, you should consider up-grading to power brakes if you feel inclined to do so but you can do it later as well.

Stopping is your #1 priority.

You will just have to wing it on vacuum hose sizes, unless someone chimes in. I've included some pics to get you started.
Thanks! I guess you're right about the brakes. I know I need to replace the lines, from that I'll take everything down and inspect everything. I'm away from home going to school so I was hoping to get some things gathered up before the break so I could make some progress, but It's better to take my time and make sure I know what I need. Thanks man!