The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #26
nonstop

Re: trades

Depends on where you are. In CA, it is illegal to obliterate a VIN/serial number. Easier to save the headache and check FIRST. If by some chance it IS stolen the WHOLE vehicle is impounded, not just the frame. Not saying anything is wrong with swapping frames, it definitely must be done at times. Just saying know what you're getting into first.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #27
Just call me Sean

Replacement parts don't have VINs on them. A used frame is a replacement part. It is no longer original to that car and as a replacement part it should not have markings on it. Are they going to seize your new car because that fender the body shop put on doesn't have the VIN on it? Why would one even question that? Obviously it has been repaired. Is there some sort of frame VIN checkpoint in California where people are routinely getting their cars seized? I heard California was bad but man, I'm allowed to fix my car. I do have rights.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 AM   #28
Just call me Sean

Seriously, tell me how any of that makes sense. I could have purchased a new frame, it would not have had a VIN because it's brand new. If it was decided to check it for some reason and there was no VIN they would take my car? Now I have to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle and a receipt for the frame, to be passed on to each subsequent owner forever?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #29
nonstop

One option the state has if it is a project and there are no or multiple legitimate VINs is to assign a new one, which will satisfy the requirements. While there are not "checkpoints", there are occasions where the officer will delve further (VIN is altered or blocked, missing, or something else). If you can't read the VIN where it is supposed to be, next logical place to look is on the frame. If the VIN doesn't match up, then there is PC to investigate further.

This thing can go round and round, but the bottom line is there is potential for this to happen, when it could simply be curtailed with a little extra effort before the trade.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #30
Just call me Sean

So it's the same as any state. They go by the VIN plate. Just like I said. The one on the body. All the stipulations you mentioned are if there are problems with the VIN plate. No problems with the VIN plate=No problems.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I don't understand this paranoia about getting stopped searched and seized. What kind of cops are you guys dealing with out there? If you believe the frame may be stolen then by all means check the VIN. But it is not uncommon for a 40+ year old vehicle to have a different frame, or engine, or transmission, or door, or fender, etc. etc. I bought my frame at the junkyard, I installed it, I never lost a nights sleep thinking the car Nazis were going to take my car and everything in it. I can fix my car with a new frame, a custom built frame, or a used frame. MY choice. If I knew there was a VIN on the frame at the time I did it I would have ground it off, and it would be perfectly legal because it isn't the VIN plate, there is no intent to defraud, and it was a legally obtained used part.
I agree with you. I built my truck on a different frame and didn't lose any sleep over it. I registered the truck using the title to the cab. Every time there is a thread about VIN's it turns out like this with people saying it's illegal to do this or that. Criminal laws require an intent to do something wrong that breaks the law. If your only intent is to restore your old truck, you are not doing anything wrong.

In my opinion, this trade is a bad deal. Trading a nice clean, running and driving truck for parts doesn't make any sense to me.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #32
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

OldGMJon
asked
"The question remains what problems could arise from this chassis should I mount a 65' cab on there and try an register it under the cabs Vin? Does the DMV/the law, check frame numbers against cab numbers?
Can I legally rivet these plates onto a different cab to mount it on the matching frame? What is the law in these situations?"

Check with your State cause,they all seem different,

I was told by the police here in Ottawa,if they find a frame altered car/truck,which ever is newest gets to be the year for the "new" Vin.
If the numbers clear!
not sure if that applies to same year swap/replacement
And it's not mentioned (frame) for me here in Ont
I've been pulled and warned about changed colour,and V6 to V8
I'd rather warn everyone,to check it out,so they don't feel misled from info posted here like
"it's ok and cops will understand."
"it's ok it happens all the time"
then hear they lost the truck,cause something wasn't right.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../getinfo.shtml

Vehicle Description Changes
You must report a change or data correction for a registered vehicle within six days of the change. These changes include:

Colour
Body Type
Fuel Type (Power)
Number of Cylinders
Registered Gross Weight
Make, Model and/or Year
Odometer Information
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Bring your vehicle permit to any Driver & Vehicle Licence Issuing Office and complete an Application for Registration (SR-LV-006) indicating the changes.

If your vehicle permit contains incorrect information, bring the incorrect permit to any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office. To change the make, model, year and/or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) one of the following documents will also be required.

Copy of New Vehicle Information Statement
Copy of original manufacturer's invoice
Copy of Bill/Certificate of Sale from original dealer
Copy of original Certificate of Title/Origin
Statement from a vehicle dealer on company letterhead explaining the discrepancy
Original vehicle manufacturer's warranty.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #33
Just call me Sean

Just trying to understand why some of you seem to let the DMV walk all over you.

As I said, have the VIN checked to make sure it isn't stolen. If you're really paranoid tell them your intent to use the frame for repairs. They can tie the VINs together if they find it necessary. I assume mine wasn't stolen as I got it at a junkyard. I also assume if they ran the VIN on it then it would come up as Certificate of Destruction as it came from a junkyard. But as I said, new/replacement parts don't have VINs so it can't be assumed you did something wrong. Innocent until proven guilty here in the states. It's a shame so many people don't know how to stand up for their rights.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #34
nonstop

This thing can go round and round. Simply put, we both agree the VIN should be checked. I too have swapped frames on trucks. Made sure it was clear first. I have also been the one comparing VINs and paperwork and sorting through the mess of stuff to make sure it all works together. None of it is fun.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #35
OldGMJon

Talking Re: trades

Hey thanks for all the wisdom and advice...I think I just let someone scare me a little about the possibilities. I got the info (vin) I need and will verify that the chassis is without issues before I do this deal.
I realize it may not seem like such a good deal to some but the other items in this deal are things I really need for other trucks I have and even thought the Silverado is a nice driver, it has its shortcomings as well.
A tough decision even so...thanks again, jon
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #36
SiCk_DiAbLo

I wouldn't do that deal, just with the 454 I'd hold on too.....
1965 Custom 10..FOR SALE

SiCk_DiAbLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM   #37
Super_Dave

Make sure you actually see the VIN for yourself and don't take someones word for it. Or do what I have done and make the seller go to the DMV with you to process paperwork before doing any deal. It's amazing what can happen when you ask a seller to meet you at the DMV with paperwork and I.D.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #38
suxtobu65

Id keep the square. Id buy that truck in a heartbeat if I could. Thats an awesome deal.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #39
OldGMJon

Question Re: trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by suxtobu65 View Post
Id keep the square. Id buy that truck in a heartbeat if I could. Thats an awesome deal.
not sure which way you would go? The trade is an awesome deal? "you would keep the square" is that the Silverado that you would buy? Seems to go either way!
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote