The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #26
Coronadj

Re: 69 C10 Prerunner project

This is that c20!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  50.1 KB
Coronadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #27
Coronadj

Views: 1850
Size:  70.3 KB
Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #28
Coronadj

Views: 1559
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
tcrist

I'd say, follow the other guys lead in the previous budget lift post if that is what you are looking for.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #30
russellmarling

I'm not sure how to find it or post a link, but member dinos63 has a very cool prerunner style, bagged (but lifted- with a huge amount of travel) 60-66 pickup. This truck would be a great inspiration for your build.
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #31
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
Here's the opinion of an Arizona Old Fart. We built the primer pre-runner in the photo for my son, the 67 GMC is mine. Clean up your truck, rattle can detail and someone will trade you for a later model truck to pre-run out, maybe even done. Clean old GM classics are getting harder and harder to find, no disrespect but you can pre-runner a Toyota or something else on the cheap. My two cents.
X2, why cut up a classic when you can cut up a boxy 73-87 on the cheap.

I'd MUCH rather see someone take that truck and maybe shorten it. Or just restore, or rattle can detail, or whatever just don't cut it up for a pre-runner.

But, in the end, it's his truck, his tastes, (not mine), and his call.

Yes, I'm an Arizona Old Fart myself. LOL
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronadj View Post
This is probably as good as it's gonna get for this application to get as close to a pre-runner daily driver as you can.

What I don't see addressed in this kit is steering geometry. As you can imagine, with the lower a-arm dropping so low, the spindle is going to drop as well. IF the tie-rods will adjust far enough to reach is in question (you will need longer tie rod ends), and even if they did they would be a such an acute angle that bump steer would be like super, super bad. You hit a bump and the steering takes on a mind of it's own, especially while not going straight, but going straight hitting bumps/dips/rises it's gonna toe in and out like nobody's business. Study this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bump...4LoBQ#imgdii=_

Maybe this company offers the tie rod modifications necessary to correct this condition that would exist if not addressed. The drag link/tie rods would need to keep their existing horizontal configuration thus a vertical link between the tie rod and the spindle would be needed. Not sure if that much of a link/adaptor is feasible.

The picture below illustrates the fix for bumpsteer but in this case it's on a lowered vehicle, lowering can create the same problem so the spacer goes in the other way under the spindle. In your case, it would need to go in atop the spindle.

You would be much better off to use modified/custom spindles to achieve the desired lift as that would keep the tie rod/spindle relationship stock and minimize bumpsteer. You would lose the extra suspension travel, but IMO you can't really have both worlds without extreme compromise and/or added cost.

Whatever kind of rear axle you have, coil or leaf, you could likely just flip the axle housing over and/or install blocks, shackles etc. to get your rear lift. You would still have to address pinion angle (angle shims on the axle housing), and possibly driveshaft configuration.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #33
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
X2, why cut up a classic when you can cut up a boxy 73-87 on the cheap.

I'd MUCH rather see someone take that truck and maybe shorten it. Or just restore, or rattle can detail, or whatever just don't cut it up for a pre-runner.

But, in the end, it's his truck, his tastes, (not mine), and his call.

Yes, I'm an Arizona Old Fart myself. LOL

Yeah I know what you guys mean and no disrespect but yeah I'm not trying to blow is up to a full on prerunner I just want a simple lift. But I'm tired of seeing this trucks just lowered and not to be mean but when you guys lower you truck and C notch it and cut the bed up to make it fit, isn't that considering " cutting it up" I don't want to start an argument I just be yell at by some many people about how bad of an idea it is. But hey a least I can say it's something different.

But right now my truck is on hold because my race bike motor took a 💩 and now I have to fix that lol.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #34
Coronadj

But thank you guys for helping me I really appreciate it!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #35
Coronadj

Views: 1468
Size:  70.3 KB

But know that my budget is low how do you think I can be able to make my truck look like that? I want to run almost the same set up with the same amount of clearance. I was gonna say just to put a 2 inch spacer in the front and 1.5 inch spacer in the rear of the truck?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #36
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronadj View Post
Yeah I know what you guys mean and no disrespect but yeah I'm not trying to blow is up to a full on prerunner I just want a simple lift. But I'm tired of seeing this trucks just lowered and not to be mean but when you guys lower you truck and C notch it and cut the bed up to make it fit, isn't that considering " cutting it up" I don't want to start an argument I just be yell at by some many people about how bad of an idea it is. But hey a least I can say it's something different.

But right now my truck is on hold because my race bike motor took a �� and now I have to fix that lol.
You know young man in the end we will all be dead an buried and the trucks will be tuned to dust and nobody will care anymore. The Only thing important in life is to be happy, there is absolutely Nothing that can compare to happy. And WhatEver form your truck takes, I hope it makes you happy and I mean that sincerely no sarcasm whatsoever (despite the fact I'm a sarcastic person LOL).

Stick to your guns and do what YOU want and be happy. I hope you didn't think I was yelling at you I just said what I said but in the end it's your truck not mine. Yes, cutting is cutting raising or lowering. I hope you read what I said about steering geometry, as if you did you will realize I will help you no matter what you want to do I just want you to be safe and happy.

Hope your racing bike does not eat too far in your wallet. Be safe.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #37
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
You know young man in the end we will all be dead an buried and the trucks will be tuned to dust and nobody will care anymore. The Only thing important in life is to be happy, there is absolutely Nothing that can compare to happy. And WhatEver form your truck takes, I hope it makes you happy and I mean that sincerely no sarcasm whatsoever (despite the fact I'm a sarcastic person LOL).

Stick to your guns and do what YOU want and be happy. I hope you didn't think I was yelling at you I just said what I said but in the end it's your truck not mine. Yes, cutting is cutting raising or lowering. I hope you read what I said about steering geometry, as if you did you will realize I will help you no matter what you want to do I just want you to be safe and happy.

Hope your racing bike does not eat too far in your wallet. Be safe.
I didn't think you were yelling me lol I know what you mean thanks for understanding. An yes I did read your comment about the steering, thanks big time I knew the tie rods would be a problem so thanks for that.

I think for now I just what to make it look like that c20 I posted up. I really like that c20 how it looks so I think I'm just gonna use a 2 inch spacer and a 1.5 spacer in the rear coils.

Thanks for all the advise I really do appreciate it.

Yeah right know I have my bike blow out rebuilding the motor.
Views: 1470
Size:  52.8 KB
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #38
Coronadj

This is how it used to look like lol. Dam motor had to go out when I decide to start my project truck. Lol

Views: 1475
Size:  20.8 KB
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #39
Lees68GMC

Sesame Street, which one of these things is Not the same?
Attached Images

"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #40
EARNHARDT#3

I think what you're doing with the truck is a great idea. In that condition there are dozens of people on this site that would've bought it just to part out.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #41
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I think what you're doing with the truck is a great idea. In that condition there are dozens of people on this site that would've bought it just to part out.

Thanks man! Yeah I want to do something a little different with my truck. Lol
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #42
Coronadj

Hey guys so you know how I said I want to make my truck like that c20 I posted. So I text the guy with the c20 and ask him how it lifted the fro t and he told me he use a 2" coil spacer. But my question is instead of using a coil spacer can I use a 2" lift coil from a 88-98 c1500? And just you a ball joint spacer in the front?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #43
72mike

Airbagit.com offers a 3 inch lift kit for the 67-72 c-10 2wd. But only buy there upper a-arms and use a 3" lift coil spacer. The springs they offer in the kits do not fit the upper coil bucket and make a ton of noise. They require a 73+ upper cross shaft and can be bought at any auto parts store. With the coil spacer compared to the spring they offer I lost maybe 1/2 inch. It's on 30" BFG's for now, I could of gone 31 or 32 with no problems.
Attached Images

72mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #44
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mike View Post
Airbagit.com offers a 3 inch lift kit for the 67-72 c-10 2wd. But only buy there upper a-arms and use a 3" lift coil spacer. The springs they offer in the kits do not fit the upper coil bucket and make a ton of noise. They require a 73+ upper cross shaft and can be bought at any auto parts store. With the coil spacer compared to the spring they offer I lost maybe 1/2 inch. It's on 30" BFG's for now, I could of gone 31 or 32 with no problems.

Hey if you don't mind can you post a picture of the upper a-arm?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #45
72mike

I will post a picture a little later today.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #46
72mike

I was able to get outside of work real quick to snap a pic. Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #47
Maggro

My dad took a pic of this one at a race in Mexico, I think the San Felipe 250.
Attached Images

Maggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #48
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mike View Post
I was able to get outside of work real quick to snap a pic. Here ya go.
I jut have one more question does that arm connect to the stock spindle? And are you using the stock lower control arm?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #49
72mike

I used the stock lower a-arm and the upper goes right into the stock spindle. the a-arm came with a ball joint in it that bolted right up. been in the truck for about 4 years now no real issues. Make sure you don't order the springs from them, they are junk and don't fit right.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #50
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronadj
Ths is the kit made from airbagit.com .

http://firebirdindustrial.com/shop-2...luprlower-raw/
I would avoid that company & all of it's alter egos (Ratical, aka AIM, aka Chassis Tech, aka AirBaggit.com, & now Fire Bird Industrial). Ever wonder why a company requires so many name changes over the years??

I would do a kit like this for the front....

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspe...kit-231n2.html

Lift spindles will help keep steering geometry in check & shouldn't require a cobbled spring + spacer or super stout tall spring to raise the truck. These kits are adaptable w/some parts swapping which can be done w/used parts that help keep within a budget.

To adapt 88-up spindles, you need....
C20 lower a-arms (the 88-98 1/2 ton lower BJ fits the 6X-87 C20 lower arms).
88-98 upper BJ to the factory arms (bolt-in swap).
88-98 brakes (rotors, calipers, hoses).

Then it's just a matter of adapting the tie-rods to the spindles. Read more about it here....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447061

For the rear, some bolt-on spring spacers could be utilized/fabbed. This (the spacer method) would be acceptable in a rear coil suspension application since the spring physically bolts in @ each end (vs a spacer & spring just getting stacked on top of each other in the front).

My buddys son want's a 'pre-runner' looking 68. This was my suggested approach to him as it should maintain a fairly stock ride quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-28-2015 at 07:30 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote