The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #26
davepl

Re: Engine block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I found the original box but it had instructs for bumper guards inside and had no luck digging though the pile of NOS labels. I'll keep after it as I'm sure I wouldn't toss it out but it may take me a while. I recall the instructs denoted which freeze plug to install into and listed both SB and BB locations.
That's either the most subtle or most annoying post I've read in a while :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #27
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
That's either the most subtle or most annoying post I've read in a while :-)
It's the truth

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #28
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Found these on a quick search...
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #29
FirstOwner69

The installation is very easy, but may be intimidating when you knock the plug out. Basically you use a punch or big screwdriver and hammer to hit the freeze plug near an edge. That usually cocks it in the hole so you can grab it with pliers. Installation is easy also. I'd put some plumbers grease on the O-ring and the sides of the hole. Then it's basically just like installing a toggle bolt in drywall. The instructions should tell you how to orient the element and which hole. Think mine said driver's rear hole and oriented toward the front.

The messiest part is draining the coolant. Be sure to drain through the screw in plugs in the sides of the block after draining the radiator.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-01-2015 at 03:53 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I've always seen that type heater referred to as a tank type heater. All "block" heaters I've seen were those that go into a freeze plug hole in the block. I believe all tank heaters are aftermarket.
As soon as i saw the the heaters in the earlier links, i realised it wasn't what the the original poster was looking for, and it wasn't even a block heater. I thought i would post up some pics any way though.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #31
davepl

Many thanks to DeadheadNM, that's the kind of great info that makes this forum so useful.

Two random thoughts:

1) It's worth carrying a block heater in your glovebox. Not because it might suddenly get cold: but freeze plugs do pop out from time to time, and block heaters install with a screwdriver (if you can get at the hole). Much easier on the side of the road.

2) I once had a 413 Imperial that had two block heaters, but I didn't know. So I added one of those heater-hose ones like above, but it had a pump too. Then I found the cords to the block heaters! All three would trip the breaker, but if I plugged them in with two cords on a truly cold morning, it was amazing. Even at -35F the windshield would be clear and the heater would make heat almost by the end of the block!

For some reason my Dad, who (as he oft reminded me) paid the bills, did not care for me consuming 4000W of his electricity for 10 hours at a time!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #32
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Up here in the Great White North block heaters are away of life. About all you ned them turned on for is about 3/4 hours and your engine will be as warm as its going to get at any temperature.

A little nostalgia from an old guy. In the 70's here in Canada and I guess it would have applied to US cars as well when Chrysler ( maybe Ford and GM did this too I do not know ) sold millions of V8 engines if you specified a block heater from the factory they put one on each side of the block and had the cord designed so there was only one plug on it. Plug that in for 2 hours and like davepl says your car would warm up in minutes and your windshield would clear very fast.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #33
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Up here in the Great White North block heaters are away of life. About all you ned them turned on for is about 3/4 hours and your engine will be as warm as it's going to get at any temperature.

A little nostalgia from an old guy. In the 70's here in Canada and I guess it would have applied to US cars as well when Chrysler ( maybe Ford and GM did this too I do not know ) sold millions of V8 engines if you specified a block heater from the factory they put one on each side of the block and had the cord designed so there was only one plug on it. Plug that in for 2 hours and like davepl says your car would warm up in minutes and your windshield would clear very fast.
Maybe Sask is colder, but 45min would indeed be the bare minimum on a cold day.

In reality, I don't think it was about your car starting. My bone-stock 1975 2bbl 350 Monte Carlo sat outside one New Year's Morning and it was literally -41 and it started (I didn't expect it too though). If your car was in marginal tune, a block heater wouldn't save you. But it might up your odds I guess.

To me, the real point was (and the reason they're not carb heaters) was to get some vague sense of lubrication sooner rather than later. You can probably cut a bottle of oil in half at those temperatures faster than you can pour it (well, for the oil burners I could afford that needed 20W-50 even in winter!).

That weather is hard on cars. It's actually very impressive to me to watch these machines operate in those temperatures. Sure, your engine eventually warms up, but your rear shocks don't warm up until March.

I'm rambling now, but I remember (that same Monte) needed some mechanical repair in mid-winter that I couldn't do on my own. Doesn't matter what it was, but when I drove out to leave, since the car had been in the indoor shop, it was like a luxury car. You have no idea how much cold affects suspension and so on until it warms back up. What a huge difference.

Even more extreme, one one night below -40. I'm not sure exactly because alcohol thermometers don't really go lower. I had to drive my girlfriend home at 2AM. There was no "staying over" for teens at that time and place, even though I've been married to her now for 20+ years. I went out to start it and couldn't fit in the car properly - my head hit the ceiling. Because the seat foam was so hard it literally could not compress. Crazy. I'm used to vinyl cracking, but that was the only time I remember that cold.

After 15 minutes to get the windshield clear, I drove the 20-minute round trip, and -then- it started to make heat. I'm sure something else was wrong with the cooling system maybe, but that was cold.

Ok kids, just one more story, then it's bedtime.

One time I was given a '75 Parisienne (think Bonneville) with a blown motor, tinfoil, in the fusebox, a really rough car. Used a friend's Dad's shop to do a motor swap, again, around -35 to -40 outside. No, it wasn't always that cold, but these stories all happened at such temps or they wouldn't be in this post.

So, when done, opened the big door and backed it out. The paint entirely jumped off the trunk. Only that panel though. Primer was unaffected. I'm guessing being an independent panel (and maybe a repainted one, don't know) it contracted faster than the paint could, and it shattered the paint. Never seen that before or since either! Given how many of these are "one time" occurrences I'm sure there are a hundred similar ones I've never heard of.

Last edited by davepl; 03-01-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #34
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Whenever I'm installing a new motor, i install two block heaters even before I drop the motor in: one on each side of the block. I then route one cord to the front for use, and bundle the other cord up safe under the hood safe away from the exhaust.

This is because block heaters don't crap out when it's nice & you're in your driveway with a beer in summer, but when it's -40 & you can't get into the garage. When one dies, you can uncoil the cord for the other & you're gtg.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #35
Spartan

I just wanted to thank everyone for the info again.

Im a big fan of correct factory offerings as well as other stories and experiences regarding what these items are good for. Here in oregon I will seldom have use for the item but since all my other 4x4s have one I would hate for this one to be "odd truck out".

Heres a pic of the truck its going in just for giggles. And one of the days I might consider plugging it in. Not frozen tundra but heat in the cab sooner might be nice.
Attached Images

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #36
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Found these on a quick search...
thank you sir. saved for future.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #37
motorcritter

I have block heaters in my Benz diesels- the one I weecked a few years ago, and the one I have now. I looked for block heaters, freeze plug style- looks like LAPS have them, just have to know the diameter. The Benz ones screw into the block. Later model diesel shave them from the factory, the dealer would hook up the cord, upon request. I am considering putting them in all the engines I do, from now on. The Benz has warm air after a couple hours on the cord- a cheap timer works great. Now, if I could get the Chevys to do that- oh, yeah!