The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: the '68

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
... You also run into all sorts of "where do I put my filler cap?" issues back there as well...
And, "Hey, where do I put my spare tire? It doesn't fit behind the seat."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #27
mechanicalman

Re: the '68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantydropper View Post
You ask and you shall receive..
OK I assume it still has the original powerglide as listed on the spid. I expect the seals internally have became hardened and the clutches are not engaging. I recommend you remove the upper cooler line from the trans end, attach a rubber hose, turn on the engine and let it pump the fluid out until it starts spitting air.

Now you can remove the pan and inspect for debris. If it does not have excessive debris and if you want to revive it go ahead and replace the filter, pour in 5 qts cheap fluid, start the engine again and let it run again until it spits air and shut it down. Now, re-install the trans line and fill it up with 1 qt Trans-X and the rest regular cheap trans fluid. Run the engine until it gets good and warm and try again to see if it will engage. Fingers crossed.

If it's really bad, I'd replace the trans. NOW would be a good time to install a beefed-up 200R4 (or a T350), direct bolt-in except for possible cross-member issues plus the shifter quadrant will not get manual low on the T350 and will not get manual low or second on the 200R4 but it is the same external dimensions as a powerglide or a T350. AND, whatever trans you put in as long as it's built strong you can decide to go big block later as they all have the same bell housing.

Good source for a core 2004R is 82-85 Cadillac DeVille with 4.1L V8, but so many have filtered through the junkyards they are already starting to thin out. You will need the detent brackets off a T350 2bbl to install the TV cable, and possible issues you may also need the carburetor for the proper linkage but not sure. I do believe though you could simply transfer the baseplate in order to keep current carb calibration and still get the proper linkage. I'd prefer to get those parts all of the same 1 car. Same mod 2004R or T350 on that issue except for the 2004R you would need to use a later model and the T350 would depend on how new the T350 is for the type of detent cable.

Most of the 2004R's have a universal bell housing and expand your options from not only Chevy but also Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Cadillac. If you could find 2004R or T350 in operating condition it may suffice for now behind the 307.
Just sayin'.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 05-07-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: shift linkage
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote