The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #26
MikeB

Re: Lmc dual exhaust kit(heartthrob)

I just finished installing a Heartthrob kit yesterday. It's their P/N 4144SK with stock mufflers and tailpipes exiting at the sides behind the rear wheels. Since my 82 C10 uses 96-00 5.7L Vortec exhaust manifolds, I had to modify the down pipes, so I can't attest to their fit with stock manifolds.

Pros: Thick wall 16 gauge aluminized pipe, smooth mandrel bends, two extra pipe sections for very long wheelbase trucks.

Con: I didn't see any way to make use of the short hangers. They are apparently designed to mount horizontally between clamps and frame rails, but they aren't long enough to do that. So I ended up buying flexible hangers from a parts store, and hung the pipes vertically from a cross rail just before the mufflers, and from the frame rails to the tailpipes.

Also, their "stock" mufflers are on the loud side, and sound more like turbo mufflers. The noise is amplified by the side-exit pipes bouncing sound off cars and curbs. For whatever reason, the kit with pipes that run straight back to the bumper cost more, even though there are fewer bends and should be cheaper to make.

On another note, I used stainless band clamps at the pipe and muffler junctions for ease of future disassembly (6 x $7.97 at Summit)

Overall, I got a lot of nice pipe and two mufflers for a very good price at Auto Accessories Garage. I paid around $218 including shipping using a discount coupon. Total spent was less than $300 including stainless clamps and hangers. Average price at local muffler shops to do the same work with crush bends was $650. And they typically want to weld everything together.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #27
C1ph3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I've been watching this thread with interest since I used this kit (not purchased from LMC though) on my 69 3/4 ton. The kit is designed to fit with the mufflers mounted in the "on edge" orientation shown in the first picture below as opposed to "flat". If I recall correctly, the original single exhaust system also had the muffler this way and every replacement single pipe system installed over the years was also mounted like this. I did add exhaust hangers from the rear of the mufflers to the cross member directly above.

I assume you probably have a 1/2 ton. If so, the following probably relevant...

I did, however, have a problem with the right tailpipe. When I ordered my system, there was a note on the website saying it wasn't designed to work with a Custom Camper. My 3/4 ton truck had all the equipment to qualify for a Custom Camper nameplate, but it wasn't ordered. I believe what the website should have said was that it wasn't designed to work with a Eaton axle. Heartthrob custom bent a tailpipe for me (no charge) based on the second picture with a curvature like the steel rod taped to the pipe.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Hey Jim, I know this is an old thread but I could use some help. Can you maybe give me some pointers on this exhaust? I have the same one and ended up mounting the muffler the way you did. But I am afraid the pipes are too close to the tires and the brake hard lines. More detail in my thread is HERE
Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #28
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ph3r View Post
Hey Jim, I know this is an old thread but I could use some help. Can you maybe give me some pointers on this exhaust? I have the same one and ended up mounting the muffler the way you did. But I am afraid the pipes are too close to the tires and the brake hard lines. More detail in my thread is HERE
I'm not sure I can provide any additional pointers, but I did not have any concerns about clearances once I got the re-bent right tailpipe back from Heartthrob. I also used the band clamps from Summit as shown in a post above, but that shouldn't affect anything. The pictures below showing the routing are the best I can find in my file. I also attached a picture of the exhaust system when I tore the truck apart. It was not the original but was exactly as the original was routed. I may be able to get some additional pictures of the installation on the finished truck in a few days. Any particular shots/angles you'd like?

Also, if you continue to have concerns, give Mike Forbes at Heartthrob a call. As I mentioned in my original post, he was very helpful and custom bent a right side tailpipe to my specs to fit with an Eaton axle.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-08-2016 at 02:39 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #29
FirstOwner69

Additional picture... (doesn't add much)
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #30
C1ph3r

Thanks a lot man. I did email Mike and he has been helpful. I may have the wrong down pipe on my manifold. Did you leave in the heat riser valve? I have a delete in place and used the pipe on the left side that had the shortest distance from the manifold to the first bend. I'm on vacation at the moment but when I get back I'm going to crawl under the truck and give it another go. Do some more adjustments. Thanks again for the pics.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #31
C1ph3r

Oh. I am also going to get a set of those clamps you used. It will help some I think.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #32
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ph3r View Post
Thanks a lot man. I did email Mike and he has been helpful. I may have the wrong down pipe on my manifold. Did you leave in the heat riser valve? I have a delete in place and used the pipe on the left side that had the shortest distance from the manifold to the first bend. I'm on vacation at the moment but when I get back I'm going to crawl under the truck and give it another go. Do some more adjustments. Thanks again for the pics.
I did not use a heat riser or a delete in its place. Let me know if you want any other pics.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:15 AM   #33
toolboxchev

lmc not having a clue?, heheheehehee
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #34
C1ph3r

sorry to hijack your thread MikeB.

Got my kit installed and did email Mike over at Heartthrob a lot in the process. He has been helpful.

So I updated my thread on the subject and would love feedback from those of you with this kit. Here is my thread and in post 6 I have my current fitment issues. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...52#post7550652

I am still having clearance and fitment issues. Can ya'll take a look and see how mine is fitting and compare to your fit up? I really appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #35
HUSTLESTUFF

Bump because I'm going to call Heart Throb in am and I have an Eaton
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #36
HUSTLESTUFF

Bump again
Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #37
HUSTLESTUFF

New pm for firstowner69
Old 11-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #38
HUSTLESTUFF

Just an update. I ordered the kit from the place above, auto something or another. It was like $215 shipped. Did the Summit clamps and it fit perfect with the eaton. Pretty close to the panhard bar mount on axle but fit OK. I did end up going to the muffler shop and found some nice brackets that bolted to the truck and welded to the pipe like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-4-UNIVER...S/360477577686. Made it easy to do but I have a 2 post lift. I think it would be difficult with the hangers they supplied. Over all very happy and Mike was helpful, willing to send a tail pipe if needed, but it wasn't. Sounds good and my girlfriend likes the sound, but she has only driven it twice to work as I have a few bugs to work on since it was a frame off. Mike
Old 09-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #39
LandonMook

What is the Part Number from heartthrob.com for this set up?
LandonMook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #40
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonMook View Post
What is the Part Number from heartthrob.com for this set up?
It depends on what type system you want... exit wise and muffler wise. Use this link.

http://heartthrobexhaust.com/manifolddualkits.htm

Then go here, https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Exhaust-System, not LMC.