The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #26
Lugnutz65

Re: What Bellhousing do I need for my 283?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
When one says a 'Muncie 4 speed' that typically means a Muncie M20, 21 or 22 car transmission. It sounds to me like you are wanting to install a SM465 truck transmission which has the 5-1/8" diameter front bearing retainer.

You will need to either have your existing bellhousing center hole enlarged at a machine shop, or simply find a '68-'72 truck bellhousing. Enlarging the hole with a plasma cutter is not acceptable.

If you are using the same size flywheel on the 283 as was on your 250, the starter will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman97 View Post
That's awesome!!!does anyone know how wide the M10 trans is is up front? And what I mean by that is the round piece behind the input shaft that goes with the Bell. I took some calipers to it and got 5.125"-5.127" for readings
Posted via Mobile Device
As Captainfab mentioned earlier, the 5 + 1/8" (5.125") center bore is the one you will need. If you get one with the crossmember mount (like in the picture above) then you can keep your current bell mount crossmember and it will bolt up. As far as I know, early Chevy bells came with only two different center bore sizes, either 4 +11/16" or 5 +1/8". Now you have to hunt for one.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote