The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: 15" Cragars-too old school for a 85?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
I think you would be safe sticking with 15 in wheels. And running a set of Cragars would look good on your truck. But please take your time and make sure the inner fenders are clean and painted. Front disc brake calipers and what ever else you can see is painted a nice color that matches. Along with the rear brake drums. Nothing kills the look of a nice set of wheels is rusty brake drums and calipers.

Ken
Amen!!!
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
kody1234

what ^^^ he said
kody1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #28
tucsonjwt

I still favor the original Cragar SS wheels. The best wheel/vehicle combo I have ever seen was Cragar SS wheels on a 68 Charger(black/black) like the Charger in the movie Bullitt.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #29
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
Hey thanks for clearing that up. Never would have figured that one out if it wasnt for you. I bet your one of those guys who says "use the search button" when someone asks a tech question because you have nothing to offer the discussion.

Most people who replied seemed to get it but I`ll do you a favor and explain it for you. When I says "old school" I`m talking about things that should only stay on certain year trucks. Like the white wall or red line tire comment. Yeah they would look great with either tire if they were installed on something from the 50`s or 60`s. I wouldnt put old Halibrand wheels on something this new because they would look out of place. Like putting slot mags on anything older than 1979. Just looks out of place. The Cragar wheels have a old school 60`s look to them but also a modern twist to the style.

If you still dont get it, sorry.
Do you want honest input or not? You asked for opinions, but it seems that you dont want any that dont reinforce your personal likes or dislikes.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #30
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This question cracks me up. Too old school? Dude its a truck from a generation that is now what, 4 generations old? Your truck IS old school!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Do you want honest input or not? You asked for opinions, but it seems that you dont want any that dont reinforce your personal likes or dislikes.
You are correct. I did ask for opinions. Tom`s reply was not a opinion of the wheel, but to point out that my truck is old school. Yes it`s a 30 year old truck, I understand that. I didnt need the obvious pointed out. I wanted to know if the wheels would look out of place. I didnt think it was a hard question. Someone made a comment about white walls or redline tires which would be completely out of place on a 1985 vehicle. I really thought people would understand my question but I see that isnt the case. I didnt want this to turn into a stupid internet argument like everyone seems to enjoy lately so Thanks for the replies guys but I`m moving on.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #31
J Knight

I dont think Cragars are too old school for an 85 c10. They were widely used on 81-87 c10's back in the 80's.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #32
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
I dont think Cragars are too old school for an 85 c10. They were widely used on 81-87 c10's back in the 80's.
Thanks. Like I said before I have different tastes of styles based on the year of the vehicle. I love the old Cragar s/s wheels on anything from the 60's. I just have a different taste for something like my 85. The eliminator 500 wheels have that 5 spoke look that I like but didn't know how they would look on my 85. On my 65 chevelle they looked perfect.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #33
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Hey thanks for clearing that up. Never would have figured that one out if it wasnt for you. I bet your one of those guys who says "use the search button" when someone asks a tech question because you have nothing to offer the discussion.

Most people who replied seemed to get it but I`ll do you a favor and explain it for you. If you still dont get it, sorry.
Wow, pantys in a bunch lately? Yes, I've been here since 1999 and amassed thousands of posts telling people to use the search function. Did your head get hit lately? You asked for peoples opinion, is the wheel too old school? I reply with NO, the truck is old school as well. You get super pissed. WTF is wrong with you?
Quote:
I`m sorry if any of my comments offend anyone.
No your not. You ment to be offensive, to me at least.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #34
68c10owner

Quote:
This question cracks me up. Too old school? Dude its a truck from a generation that is now what, 4 generations old? Your truck IS old school!
Quote:
Wow, pantys in a bunch lately? Yes, I've been here since 1999 and amassed thousands of posts telling people to use the search function. Did your head get hit lately? You asked for peoples opinion, is the wheel too old school? I reply with NO, the truck is old school as well. You get super pissed. WTF is wrong with you?
No your not. You ment to be offensive, to me at least.
Really Tom? That's your post right there and I don't see where you said no, they aren't too old school. It took you 5 days to come up with "I've been here since 1999"? LOL, that's sad man. Instead of actually helping someone your big advice is "use the search function".

That wasn't me be in Super pissed as you put it. That was me giving you the same BS response you gave me. Did I hurt your feelings? Sure looks like it. Take another 5 days to think up a reply but try not to come off like a keyboard tough guy. Never looks cool.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #35
Tom
driving is in my blood

Sorry I don't live on here. I never once said use the search function anywhere. No, the word NO was not in my original post. I didn't realize I had to spell it out to you word for word, as the sum of my post can be read exactly as I intended it to be by everyone else on here. One of our most trusted members and moderators already called you out on your childish reply, and you come again with insults against my intelligence. Well played sir.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #36
68c10owner

Quote:
Sorry I don't live on here. I never once said use the search function anywhere. No, the word NO was not in my original post. I didn't realize I had to spell it out to you word for word, as the sum of my post can be read exactly as I intended it to be by everyone else on here. One of our most trusted members and moderators already called you out on your childish reply, and you come again with insults against my intelligence. Well played sir.
Hey, you are the one coming back with how long you have been on here and how many posts you had so I figured you must come on here more than once a week. I was the one who said you probably tell people to use the search button. That was my way of saying that you just wanted to post but offer no actual input. You dont need to spell anything out for me Tom. I read what you said just fine and understood exactly what you were saying by how you said it. You on the other hand seem to be having some trouble figuring out that my original reply to you and the rest of them have been sarcasm. You on the other hand did attempt to insult my intelligence but since I dont know you, I dont care what you say about me. You though seem really upset by this whole thing. Almost like the guy who is guilty but points the finger at others to try to hide the guilt. It`s ok Tom. you made a rude comment, I countered. Thats how these things work. I had actually unsubscribed to this thread days ago but happened to see it back at the top of the page so I clicked to read the replies. Fact of the matter is you were rude in your original post, I called you on it with some sarcasm and now you got your panties all twisted up over some guy on the internet that you dont even know. Some life you got there Tom. Maybe in the future you can actually try to help the person asking for help instead of trying to make jokes.

Again, as i said before I did not start this thread to get into a pissing match with some guy who has been here since 1999. I asked a question, got some answers. Time to move on. If you want to continue to be childish and bicker like a little school girl just send me a pm. No need to continue to ruin this thread in your attempt to try to either get the last word or make me look stupid. Not really sure what your going for.

Mods, delete it, lock it, suspend me, ban me, whatever. I`m a supporting member and really hoped this place had stayed mellow like it was the last time I was a supporting member but unfortunately it seems this forum may be suffering the same fate as many others that I no longer go to.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #37
85/Silverado

These are the Cragars we ran back in the 60,s and 70,s
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-61815/overview/
85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #38
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:

Mods, delete it, lock it, suspend me, ban me, whatever. I`m a supporting member and really hoped this place had stayed mellow like it was the last time I was a supporting member but unfortunately it seems this forum may be suffering the same fate as many others that I no longer go to.
WOW! That escalated quickly. If you dont want opinions that might differ from yours, its not a good idea to ask for opinions at all. You asked if "15" Cragars-too old school for a 85?. I'm not sure of your age, but I am old enough to remember when 15" Cragars were the rage, and that trend carried in to the 80s.

Its your truck, so do what you want. Just dont get your feelings hurt when you ask for opinions, and they arent in line with what you feel is correct.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #39
68c10owner

Quote:
Quote:
WOW! That escalated quickly. If you dont want opinions that might differ from yours, its not a good idea to ask for opinions at all. You asked if "15" Cragars-too old school for a 85?. I'm not sure of your age, but I am old enough to remember when 15" Cragars were the rage, and that trend carried in to the 80s.

Its your truck, so do what you want. Just dont get your feelings hurt when you ask for opinions, and they arent in line with what you feel is correct.
Read Tom`s post that I quoted. Where is his opinion if the wheel is too old school or not? He doesnt give it. I asked for a opinion about my wheel choice and he basically implys that he is laughing at me for even asking because in his opinion my truck is old school. I asked for opinions and was ready for "yeah, too old looking for a 85 model" or " hell no they look great". Either way would have been fine, thats why I asked. We all have different opinions on what looks right and while i love the wheels I posted about on a 1960`s car, I dont know how i feel about them on a 1985 truck. I know the S/S wheels were popular and I know they are different from the wheels I`m asking about. I think the S/S wheels look out of place on a 1980`s truck but look awesome on most cars from the 1960`s.

This thread jumped the shark a long time ago. I can only explain this so many ways. I posted looking for a yes or no answer. What I found was in the future I have to consider the type of answer I`m going to get instead of expecting my fellow truckers could just give a simple yes or no and decide whether or not it`s worth the risk of the thread turning into this. The answer is no. Besides that I`ve already decided not to use this wheel now so it doesnt matter anymore.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #40
bigblock73
yeller

Opinions are rarely offered in a yes or no only response, typically they are followed up with a explanation. If that's what you were after, then you should have specified...otherwise Toms response was spot on. The truck is an 80's truck, popular back when SS's were popular...so old school rims on an old school truck certainly go together. Since this thread has basically been a pissing match and waste of everyone's time who contributed, then delete it and move on.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #41
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Opinions are rarely offered in a yes or no only response, typically they are followed up with a explanation. If that's what you were after, then you should have specified...otherwise Toms response was spot on. The truck is an 80's truck, popular back when SS's were popular...so old school rims on an old school truck certainly go together. Since this thread has basically been a pissing match and waste of everyone's time who contributed, then delete it and move on.
I have to disagree because Tom`s reply made no mention of the wheels. And I`m not talking about the S/S wheels. Somehow those seemed to get involved and I was never considering those. I think they look out of place on the 80`s trucks but thats my opinion. The wheels I linked to are a little different design but have a similar look thats why I asked of they looked too old school. A explaination of a yes or no answer would have been great but thats not what I got. I`ve already mentioned several times I`m moving on yet people keep replying to this thread for some reason. I even posted for a mod to delete it if needed. None of the info is relevant any longer.

I have certainly learned my lesson about looking for opinions here. I should have asked " would these look out of place?". My bad. sometimes I forget that not everyone will understand my train of thought.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #42
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Anthony, bottom line is to get the wheels YOU want. Case in point, my cousin has a slammed 82 square with Cragar S/S wheels and whitewalls. He gets both compliments and criticisms for his wheel/tire combo. Do the criticisms bother him? Not one bit. He's likes the look and is proud of his truck. That's all that matters.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #43
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
....... And I`m not talking about the S/S wheels. ....... sometimes I forget that not everyone will understand my train of thought.
Two very valid points. The first being myself and probly most others "assumed" you meant SS when you said Cragar wheels. If you posted a link to the wheel, I missed it.
Secondly, while you may have a vivid picture in your mind of what you percieve to bo correct, others may not.
For the record, I saw no need to close the thread because the topic was of interest, and had not digressed to a point that it should have been closed.

One more thought, and the real reason I responded again. Although its kind of a moot point now that I know you didnt mean Cragar SS, here proof that "Old School" is still cool.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #44
68c10owner

Quote:
Two very valid points. The first being myself and probly most others "assumed" you meant SS when you said Cragar wheels. If you posted a link to the wheel, I missed it.
Secondly, while you may have a vivid picture in your mind of what you percieve to bo correct, others may not.
For the record, I saw no need to close the thread because the topic was of interest, and had not digressed to a point that it should have been closed.

One more thought, and the real reason I responded again. Although its kind of a moot point now that I know you didnt mean Cragar SS, here proof that "Old School" is still cool.
The link to the wheels I was talking about, the Eliminator 500 wheels, is in my original post. They are all aluminum 1 piece wheels. They look similar to the S/S wheel but with a modern twist.

Yeah I figured when everyone was posting about the S/S wheels they didnt understand which wheels I was referring to.

Like I said before, I have tastes that vary depending on year and model. sometimes even color of the vehicle. I dont care for the S/S wheels on newer vehicles but the truck you posted does look nice with them.

When I say "old school" I`m talking about, does the wheels look out of place? Would you put chrome steelies with 3" wide white walls on a 87 C10? Looks out of place. But on a pre 1966 truck they would fit right in. That was the point I was trying to make.

I`m on the fence about if the Eliminator 500 wheels look too "old" for the "newer" body truck. I still love the look. Loved them on my chevelle and loved the fact that not a lot of people have them. Unfortunately sizes and backspacing are limited with these wheels.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #45
Gotenntitans

Quote:

Looks great on that GMC. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #46
59bones

Just to break the ice,

Anyone care to photoshop this truck - lowered 3/5 with 15" "oldschool" Cragar SS wheels and narrow redlines tires...

I think it would look great.
Attached Images

59bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #47
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
The link to the wheels I was talking about, the Eliminator 500 wheels, is in my original post. They are all aluminum 1 piece wheels. They look similar to the S/S wheel but with a modern twist.
Looking at the pics (finally) I see what your saying. These remind me of the Radir Wheel, which is very much a vintage look. I prefer the Cragar in this scenario.

If you really want a 15" wheel that will never go out of style look at the slotted mags. I know you mentioned them and feel they are specific era too, but I dont think they will ever be out dated.

Another option is to look at Detroit Vintage wheels. They restore classic wheels and do amazing work.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #48
68c10owner

Quote:
Looking at the pics (finally) I see what your saying. These remind me of the Radir Wheel, which is very much a vintage look. I prefer the Cragar in this scenario.

If you really want a 15" wheel that will never go out of style look at the slotted mags. I know you mentioned them and feel they are specific era too, but I dont think they will ever be out dated.

Another option is to look at Detroit Vintage wheels. They restore classic wheels and do amazing work.
Yes they do look like the Radair wheels, another reason I wanted them for my 65 chevelle. Slots are cool. Always liked them but has to be the right vehicle for me and my truck isn't it.

So now that you understand the point I was trying to make, do the cragars look to old school or vintage for my 85 gmc?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #49
68c10owner

Here is a pic of my old chevelle with the Eliminator 500 Cragars.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #50
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
So now that you understand the point I was trying to make, do the cragars look to old school or vintage for my 85 gmc?
In the 15" version, yeah probably so. But, if you really like the style what about the 17" version? It gives a contemporary look to a classic style.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"