The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #26
TeamEstep

Re: Estep project

So the big brake overhaul has begun. I am converting the truck from manual brakes to boosted. I purchased a booster brake conversion kit and proportioning valve from Summit, new brake lines from the proportioning valve to the frame as well as the flexible brake lines from Inline Tube. I also got new calipers, pads, shoes, cylinders and hardware kits from O Reilly's. Today is Friday after Thanksgiving so I had to keep the truck rolling long enough to get a Christmas tree. I was able to get started so here are a few pics. I hope to get more done this weekend.
Attached Images

TeamEstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:40 AM   #27
TeamEstep

So I ordered a booster conversion kit from Summit. I could only find conversion kits for automatic transmissions and wondered what the difference would be. I didn't see how there would be any clearance issues so I figured I could make it work. Everything seemed to fit fine until I went to install the pedal linkage. Turns out that the adjustable threaded rod is about 1 1/2" too short and is set up for the pedal to be closer to the floor and not equal like the clutch pedal. I cut the ends off, took a grinder the ends and put a slight taper to them and tapped them into a 1/2" nipple which was cut to length. I welded up the ends and it works great.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 02:06 AM   #28
TeamEstep

My intention was to replace as much as was practical. I replace the calipers and brake hoses on the front as well as the brake lines from the proportioning valve down to the tee fittings. The brake lines I got from Inline Tube were great but I think they were pre bent for a stock proportioning valve and not the aftermarket one that I bought. A little careful bending and it all hooked up. The real problem came when I went to replace the rear brake hose. One of the brake lines was kinked over next to the tee fitting. As soon as I tried to straighten it out, it started dripping. Another order for Inline Tube and I was able to replace those as well.

More pics
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #29
TeamEstep

Lastly came the drums. I was wondering why the truck didn't want to stop very well. After looking at that kinked brake line I figured that was part of it. When I took the drums off, it explained the rest. Both had two deep grooves from shoes that were down to the rivets. Fortunately, the local parts store had a set of drums in stock. I also replaced the cylinders. Since the truck is only ten years younger than me, and don't know anything about its history, I'm glad I went through the whole brake system. Here is a picture of the drum.

I'm glad to say that the truck stops very well now. As a aside, I was very pleased that this forum was such a great help. Researching the forum ahead of time, I knew I might have to drill the pedal for the brake linkage and sure enough, I did. Some said about an inch down from the original hole and elsewhere even 1 1/2". I ended up about 1 1/4" only because that is where I could fit the drill.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #30
ccautoupholstery

I live in Boise and used to see that truck around all the time, I hope it was a good buy for you. I have a 67 that I got in trade for some upholstery work years ago and I don't see it ever leaving my family at this point, I love these trucks!
ccautoupholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #31
TeamEstep

Thanks, I think it was a good buy for me. It wasn't perfect but that is what I was shopping for. Something with good bones to fix up. My in-laws live in Kuna and my wife grew up there. They still farm 40 acres or so there in semi-retirement. My father in law used to teach industrial mechanics at Mountain Home High school.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #32
jlsanborn

Cool truck! Spotted you on the NW members thread. I'll follow this along and share anything applicable that I may have learned.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #33
72DFORESTR

Looks great, looking forward to seeing your progress!
72DFORESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #34
TeamEstep

A follow up on the brake job.
The truck stopped really good. A little too good. After driving it a few times, I was noticing a brake smell and that my mileage was terrible. Also, I was noticing that the rear brakes locked up long before the front discs were helping. I traced it to the rear wheels and took the drums apart, cleaned and lubricated all the sliding parts and still was having problems with brake drag. (see "Rear drum drag" thread) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693436
My e-brake was disconnected when I bought the truck so I didn't think the e-brake could be the cause. Turns out that the brake was likely disconnected because the cables were all corroded and, I found out, due to the corroded cables, the e-brake was partially deployed. That also explains why the drums were shot and shoes were worn down to the rivets. I loosened up the cable and pried the e-brake levers to the released position inside the drum until I can get new cables.
Brakes are working great now! Now I gotta order some brake cables.