The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #26
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: And the price keeps going up & up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Thing is, you can't rebuild one to that extent as cheap as that asking price. Doesn't matter how rough it was to start, if you want to do a frame off and replace everything you'll quickly have twice that asking price. This guy isn't even getting his money back out of it at that price.

I restore classic cars for a living, both partials to frame off and anything in between. To tear one down to this level and start repairing, replacing, and rebuilding everything can quickly run up a $30k+ build, and if you want NOS parts and "correct" date coded parts that cost an arm and a leg, the price can jump to $50-$60k and on up from there depending on the car. 6 figures is not unheard of when restoring a car correctly.

Given this is a basic pickup truck they made millions of, and parts aren't that expensive, A complete restoration like this still isn't for the faint of heart. Hell just a nice quality paint job with good materials plus the labor can set you back $10,000 alone. Materials by themselves if you want good stuff can run up to $3,000 quickly. So you really have to look at it from both sides of the fence. Do you want to do one to a high quality level yourself and spend 2-3 years and $30k?? (assuming the level of this truck is beyond average, I'd have to lay eye's on it) Or do you want to spend say.....$15-ish for one already done and let the previous owner take the hit on the restoration??
Very well said sir. I love it when someone from the restoration industry steps in and explains the expense involved in layman's terms.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: And the price keeps going up & up

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
The two trucks in this thread are two totally different trucks. The russet original truck is original. Only original Once and the price is reflective of an original truck kept in original condition for 38 years. The other truck is a restoration and if its your ideal truck then it's not a bad priced truck considering the work that has been put into it. Both are nice but an unrestored original will always be worth more to me. I
There are things about the 77 that I don't like. The door speakers being the biggest problem for me. Its still a super nice example of a mostly original truck.
Frank
Very valid points Frank. I believe it can be about perspective as well. You prefer unmolested OEM trucks, and have been successful in find some premium examples over the years.

I have found that a "quality" repaint adds significant value considering what that costs. Combine that with a fresh or late model motor, and the desirability level to the masses climbs as well.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote