The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #26
54blackhornet

Re: PATINA Opinions

All I know is the last time I had "Olivia" at a gathering of collector cars and trucks she got a lot more attention then most restored pickups ! Partly because a lot of people remember her delivering furniture to their homes years ago. But just as meny enjoyed that it was mostly original and unmolested.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #27
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
All I know is the last time I had "Olivia" at a gathering of collector cars and trucks she got a lot more attention then most restored pickups ! Partly because a lot of people remember her delivering furniture to their homes years ago. But just as meny enjoyed that it was mostly original and unmolested.
They deff get attention none the less. I just find it funny when guys have obviously rusty trucks and try to sell them way over priced as patina or survivor trucks when they are nothing of the sorts. I daily beat my classics usually so I can't do real nice paint jobs as they get scratched real fast, but I hate rust also lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #28
Chrome8

Well, I just hope that this truck really looks good and is salable when we are done cleaning and polishing. In all honesty I did not think there would be as much paint left on it after buffing as it has. I'll post some better photos of the entire truck when we get it completely finished, with wax and polish on all of the chrome etc. Thanks for all of your thoughts, I'm glad we didn't take it any further.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #29
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8 View Post
Well, I just hope that this truck really looks good and is salable when we are done cleaning and polishing. In all honesty I did not think there would be as much paint left on it after buffing as it has. I'll post some better photos of the entire truck when we get it completely finished, with wax and polish on all of the chrome etc. Thanks for all of your thoughts, I'm glad we didn't take it any further.
Depending on what you're putting into it and price point, personally I think a nicely restored or cleaned and buffed out set of wheels and hub caps would go a long ways since you've buffed out the paint. But like others had said it depends on how much you want to put into it, nothing spent is nothing lost right. An extra $200-400 on that could make it a quicker sell or bring in that extra $1000 you just never know when playing the game.

When I look at vehicles to buy I look at immediate expenses and subtract those from the selling price and when I see a nicely buffed/detailed vehicle but old rims/tires, older rubber lines, cheap fittings etc used for quick repairs then I know it's all for show and they most likely didn't actually do anything other than maybe an oil change. I may look more carefully at buying vehicles though than some people, but that's just something I watch for. Not saying that's all you guys are doing, but from a buyers perspective and something to watch for when selling it. You need to make everything match up to get the most bang for your buck when flipping them.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #30
Grumpy old man

Fake patina ? Your just cutting the potential buyers market in half , If anything your lowering the value not everyone wants the fake patina look and if the new owner does let them decide how far to tear it down themselves .You asked for opinions , If it was a "real" old speed shops truck and a survivor sure leave it alone BUT to tear off decent original paint just doesn't seem like a very good idea at all. To me "patina" just means it needs to be painted .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #31
Clavo106

I think Grumpy old man and dubds10 had very good points. imo.. I think fake patina should be left to fake reallty t.v shows... but I know ur get paid to do a job witch Is alway a good thing.. but mimicing fake patina can be done a lot of ways chemical is the fasts then airbrushed.adding paint. sanding or strip it and let mother nature take a winter go at it.. "fake patina" needs to be done like a good painting that everyone likes... but iv been c to many real and fake patina jobs. witch look like they sould have put on a new coat of paint then wast there time and money... my 2cents..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
Chrome8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Fake patina ? Your just cutting the potential buyers market in half , If anything your lowering the value not everyone wants the fake patina look and if the new owner does let them decide how far to tear it down themselves .You asked for opinions , If it was a "real" old speed shops truck and a survivor sure leave it alone BUT to tear off decent original paint just doesn't seem like a very good idea at all. To me "patina" just means it needs to be painted .
Thanks for your opinion, the paint buffing is essentially done at this point. It was heavily oxidized and faded especially in the areas I took the pics of. So, what do you think? Do you like the way it came out? We did stop here and will wax going forward. From the cowl back there was plenty of paint, he cut it just far enough to make the color match on both sides, no primer showing at all. One side of the truck got more sun than the other.

Confucius
Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #33
Chrome8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Depending on what you're putting into it and price point, personally I think a nicely restored or cleaned and buffed out set of wheels and hub caps would go a long ways since you've buffed out the paint. But like others had said it depends on how much you want to put into it, nothing spent is nothing lost right. An extra $200-400 on that could make it a quicker sell or bring in that extra $1000 you just never know when playing the game.

When I look at vehicles to buy I look at immediate expenses and subtract those from the selling price and when I see a nicely buffed/detailed vehicle but old rims/tires, older rubber lines, cheap fittings etc used for quick repairs then I know it's all for show and they most likely didn't actually do anything other than maybe an oil change. I may look more carefully at buying vehicles though than some people, but that's just something I watch for. Not saying that's all you guys are doing, but from a buyers perspective and something to watch for when selling it. You need to make everything match up to get the most bang for your buck when flipping them.
I hear ya, we decided to try the mini-buffer and medium cut on the wheels and hubcaps to just see if we can knock the rust off and bring them back a bit. Someone here mentioned CLR on the caps so that may work as well. We did have a burned valve in the engine when we bought it so the heads came off and we replaced the intake (cracked) with a very close date coded original with the correct part number. The tech that worked on the truck is the same guy that went with me to pick it up out in Wyoming. He's passionate about these old trucks and actually painted and then distressed the intake, valve covers, heads. Everything is right with this motor and carb. It just looks like it's never been apart. I wish I had pics he did a great job. Time capsule is the look we are going for, all original. There are a few odds and ends here and there to replace but nothing serious, we haven't found any strange out of place repairs other than an inner fender bolt that is new and we will replace with an old original bolt. Thanks to all for your thoughts. It's helpful. Getting this truck ready to sell is kind of a team effort. Here's the thread from when we went to go get it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590871

Confucius
Old 12-31-2015, 07:20 AM   #34
Grumpy old man

I'm just kinda wondering what your going to price the truck for ? I see it's pretty clean but...

the cost to go on a long road trip to go get it
the untold hours of shop employees and supplies
new heads and again shop employees hours
it's a long bed manual C-20 GMC
faked patina
you've had your investment tied up for 2 1/2 years

And PLEASE before anyone has a cow over my opinion as a resale project it's going to be hard to pull all those costs and decent profit back out .

being a dealership you have the benefit of a finance dept that will be able to help the buyer get financed rather than a straight up cash sale BUT still at what cost ?

it's great that you have the shop and employees to get it ready but someone has to pay them and it all adds up fast .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
69chevy lwb

I think you guys are being awfully hard on the guy. This is by no means fake patina. If you consider this fake then go ahead and put delmo and n2billet on blast as well because they buff all of the trucks they do. Honestly take special k's advice he's been on here forever, he's intelligent beyond belief with these trucks and most of all he's right a clean unmolested truck is what is worth the money you might not sell it to the first guy who looks at it but someone who knows what a good truck is will gladly pay.
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #36
project_sinister_c20

I laugh when someone mentions patina in a ad for a vehicle, I'm like "I'm just gonna sand that **** off". It's not a 100 year old gun where leaving patina is critical to its worth and nostalgia.
project_sinister_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #37
Chrome8

69chevyLWB thanks for sticking up for me, I had a sick feeling after reading some of these posts. I don't feel that we "faked" anything either. I did post earlier that the truck had very different sun exposure on the front clip vs the left side vs the right side. Lucas (detail) did exactly as I asked and he had me look at it after the first pass. We had 2 very different colors and a lot of unevenness and blotches going on. I told him to make the color even all the way around the truck, if we end up with primer showing in a few spots that's ok. He did an awesome job and followed my instructions to a T. I was really happy with the color and the Patina Look, to the point I almost wanted more of it. That is why asked for opinions. After reading this I decided not to go any further. I appreciate the opinions of all of you. Grumpy, I do not need any business advice. I would be interested to know what you think it is worth. I plan on selling it for what it is worth. Thank you.

Marc

Confucius
Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #38
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I hope i didn't come off as negative towards your truck. I was just stating to keep as much paint on as you can and just clean it. Anyone would be proud to own that one!
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #39
Chrome8

Thanks too much stuff, you're fine. I'll make sure to post better pics when we are finished with the body, I think it came out great. There was really a lot of dead paint on the truck. There are a few odds and ends I need to find and fix before it will be completely ready.

Confucius
Old 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #40
54blackhornet

While I am a devoted fan of our pickups, I also have been envolved in American and European sports cars since the late 60's. The prevailing idea then was to rebuild the vehicle back to "new" condition. Today restoring one is frowned upon and the auction results proves this quite dramatically ! Also the vehicles recently selected as Nationly Significant, similar to Historical Homes or buildings are mostly in preserved original condition. In the last few weeks Hemmings did an excellent article on Fred Simone's attempt to maintain our country's most significant vehicle, Shelby's first Daytona Coupe. After much discussion and even a national poll, it was carefully cleaned and only touched up in a few places to stop further deterioration. The main focus is now on preserving significant vehicles for the perpose of education and enrichment of future generations.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #41

OMG...noo!!! Don't buff that original paint off for some faddish patina look!!! They are only original once and you can't put a value on that. Repaint, restore, patina...blah, blah, blah.....if you have one that nice, don't deliberately ruin it with that wonderful factory paint still on it.

I just spent about 100 hours doing this one; removed all chrome, bumpers etc etc wet sand, buff and wax. You couldn't repaint one to look better than this one does. And when you work the original paint, you see all the factory blemishes, and believe me, there are many. I wish I had gotten my hand on this truck 2 years earlier than I did because the paint is worn thru to the primer and below on about 50% of the hood. No one...no one....let me say again, nobody can paint them like they came from the factory.

Hmmm, lets see, pay a painter $5K (or more) or spend a few days and maybe $100 and wind up with something better than what I'd pay $5K for? That's a no brainer.
Attached Images

73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #42
Chrome8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
OMG...noo!!! Don't buff that original paint off for some faddish patina look!!! They are only original once and you can't put a value on that. Repaint, restore, patina...blah, blah, blah.....if you have one that nice, don't deliberately ruin it with that wonderful factory paint still on it.

I just spent about 100 hours doing this one; removed all chrome, bumpers etc etc wet sand, buff and wax. You couldn't repaint one to look better than this one does. And when you work the original paint, you see all the factory blemishes, and believe me, there are many. I wish I had gotten my hand on this truck 2 years earlier than I did because the paint is worn thru to the primer and below on about 50% of the hood. No one...no one....let me say again, nobody can paint them like they came from the factory.

Hmmm, lets see, pay a painter $5K (or more) or spend a few days and maybe $100 and wind up with something better than what I'd pay $5K for? That's a no brainer.

Please read entire thread prior to posting. We have decided to stop buffing on this truck, The pictures I posted at the beginning are as far as it will go. Thanks for your opinion.

Confucius
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #43
darkhorse970

It's a good looking truck, I'd certainly drive it!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #44
BBEEP

This girls name is Patina . . .
Attached Images

BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #45
jocko

Not many like "fake" patina - but we all like to look at them and see if we're expert enough to tell the difference. It's not that hard in most cases. While I also wouldn't recommend sanding or buffing off old but good paint (and I'm glad you stopped where you did), I DO think that if the choice is between living with a sandpaper-like finish and risking adding a little more "patina" by buffing in order to bring back the shine, then that's ok. I think it still earned the patina a bit in that case and it's good to bring an old truck's paint back to life - but, the reality is that sometimes there's just not much thickness left and the owner/seller/whatever has to make a conscious choice - will it be better with the dull, sand-paper-like finish (but no burn thrus) or a nice restored gloss (with some minor burn thrus)? When it gets THAT thin, nobody is "that" good with a buffer, the burn thru or mottling will occur. For me, I worked real hard to buff out the 71 Super I had - and the paint was there but very dull and rough. I buffed it out and it was an improvement, but I was frustrated that I burned thru in a few places. As careful as I was, there really was no avoiding it (I wasn't THAT frustrated - it was a repaint, albeit an old one). Self-induced patina, but not for the sake of making patina - for the sake of restoring my finish somewhat. Chrom8, truck looks fine, don't sweat it. Everyone has an opinion, and when you ask for it, you'll get it. Sometimes you'll get one even when you don't ask for it.. Ha!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #46
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

IMO patina is natural and earned. Any vehicles I have seem where it was tried to be reproduced it just doesn't look natural. It is what it is. No 2 are alike. After being married to the same lovely woman for 33 yrs. I carry a bit of silver patina in my beard and earned every bit of it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1457660575
Attached Images

1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #47
Chrome8

Thanks Jocko for the kind words, the truck has about 3 layers of high quality wax on it and now that the snow has melted we are planning on finishing up the odds and ends to prepare for an auction this summer. The color on the truck is even and very nice and I am glad that we went as far as we did with the buffing, it just didn't look right on the first pass. Some of the edges on the front clip and the tops of the fenders have burned through but it was necessary in my opinion to get the truck to shine like a new penny. I'm proud of the team we have that did the work and really put their hearts into it. I appreciate all of your oppinions about the truck, thanks for the input.

Confucius
Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #48
jjlett69

Thumbs up Re: PATINA Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Patina is earned, not made. I would just clean things up good and leave them be.
As tim said, why ruin good paint?
On my patina truck i wish i had more paint on it. Will be down to metal and start rusting one day...
This is spot on IHO
“ A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
jjlett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #49
speedbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlett69 View Post
This is spot on IHO
Before

1972 K5 Blazer survivor not washed in 25 yrs!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #50
speedbucket

Same truck, nothing SOS pads, acetone and Ajax can't fix,top off with Carnuba Wax.
Attached Images

speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote