The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #26
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Pertronix elec ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick60 View Post
Any particular style replacement wire or just one of equal gauge?

Thanks for the help
I have used 10 or 12 gauge wire-- straight from Ign Unfused on the fuse block.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:12 AM   #27
quick60

Just so happens this thread posted about the same time gives a very detailed rundown on replacing that wire. Thanks everyone this forum is awsome.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708603
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #28
Ken B

I added the entry level Pertronix to my truck a few months ago and man what a difference. Just bump that key and she instantly fires no matter how hot or cold the engine is... Money well spent.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #29
Rich69shortfleet

I have had the Ignitor I on my Chevelle for over 20 years now, haven't ever touched it, it works great. I put an Ignitor II distributor in the wagon, never an issue for 5 years now. On the GTO I finished a few years ago we used the Crane XR-i and it has also worked great. It is like the Pertronix set up, fits under the stock cap but eliminates the points. The extra bonus of the XR-i is that it also provides a rev limiter which is a really good idea to have on that Pontiac engine as bad things happen to them easily if they are over revved. It cost the same as the Pertronix, so if you have a need for a rev limiter be sure to consider the Crane version.

The only downside to these under the cap set ups is that if they fail you can be left stranded as they are rarely a part you can pick up at the local parts store. I always carry a spare set of point in my cars in the event I have a failure I can pretty quickly and easily reinstall the points and go on my way. By the way, a matchbook cover is about the right thickness for setting the points gap, at least close enough to get you home.

I've had an HEI in the truck for just short of 20 years. Never a problem until recently, still trying to track down the source of the issues on that one.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote