The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Buyer beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Look at the pics in the other link (not ebay) there is a pic and you can barely make out the 7. If it were a shortbed, it would be 115.
It does appear to be more a 7 than 5.

I did bid on it. I won't say how much, but it would have been a bargain regardless. That said, I took for granted it was what they said it was. Not to say it wasn't T-he........It's possible they didn't know any better.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
dubds10
Stalker Nate

It does look like a 127" wheel base on the SPID, however, there's no cutting on the frame looking at those pics. Could be a cab swap or just a glove box swap. It's definitely over priced for what it is after I looked at the other photos and without know it's true history. To me it's worth half of their asking price, maybe a bit more but not much.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #28
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
It does look like a 127" wheel base on the SPID, however, there's no cutting on the frame looking at those pics. Could be a cab swap or just a glove box swap. It's definitely over priced for what it is after I looked at the other photos and without know it's true history. To me it's worth half of their asking price, maybe a bit more but not much.
Looking at the rear body mount, it is possible that they did the cut under the cab and made it just a little too short. I also noticed that it originally had a smog pump.....no holes blocked on the ex manifolds and there is a pulley missing for the air pump, fan shroud is missing also. Looks like a pieced together truck to me. Looks nice, but the advertising is misleading. AND there is the ever present cheap @ss plastic fuel (truck burn down) 99c filter, how I hate those things
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #29
NoNeck

Quote:
My eyes get worse everyday.....I don't see that "127".
Not that it matters because the Ebay ad has been ended, but I am always skeptical when I see important info on the SPIDs that would confirm once and for all that at least the glove box lid was from a short wheel base truck.

I took the photo below into photoshop, lightened the area that is scratched and applied Unsharp Mask to bring up any missing details. The number looks much more like "127" than it does "115". I can see the top of the "2" and what looks like the bottom serif of the "7". I super-imposed the numbers "127" over the second photo to show you what I THINK I see.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but the bed in the photo looks way too short. It almost looks like a long bed that was sectioned incorrectly. Could just be an illusion I guess.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #30
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I don't have the experience to recognize a factory SWB. At least not without looking at the frame.

Wouldn't it be a &*%*&%* if this really was a factory 72 350 SWB wood bed and the cab was swapped? Seems better for the owner than the other way around (i.e., Edit: incorrect SPID, correct cab)........

If the cab was replaced, I wonder what VIN DMV uses for title? Seems speculative at best, but seems to be a safe bet for purposes of this truck, the title is for a "1971 6-cyl.".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-23-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #31
FirstOwner69

Here's a link to a thread from a little over a year ago about how to spot a fake short bed. The thing I always look at is described and discussed starting at post 9. Based on this, I'd say this truck is a converted long bed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=652246
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #32
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I don't have the experience to recognize a factory SWB. At least not without looking at the frame.

Wouldn't it be a &*%*&%* if this really was a factory 72 350 SWB wood bed and the cab was swapped? Seems better for the owner than the other way around (i.e., correct SPID, wrong cab)........

If the cab was replaced, I wonder what VIN DMV uses for title? Seems speculative at best, but seems to be a safe bet for purposes of this truck, the title is for a "1971 6-cyl.".
With that and everything else that has been stated, it negates the fact the they are posting it as FACTORY and ORIGINAL. It's not, it's called false advertising. He probably got called out on it and that is why the listing was dropped. Too much wrong for almost 20k. And what's up with the rear panhard mount on the axle
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #33
KEL
72 GMC

Since no one is being a problem here, I find
this all educational as well as entertaining !
Learning alot. never would have guessed
the wood "floor board" in the SPID !

Members I have met :
2014.02.01: bruceman1968, Mr Handy, colgad, RenoKeene, CaptRMW
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #34
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
Since no one is being a problem here, I find
this all educational as well as entertaining !
Learning alot. never would have guessed
the wood "floor board" in the SPID !
Exactly......Thanks to said knowledgeable poster per the OP (I'll let him chime in if he likes)......I learned:

1. The make-up of the MODEL #.......I never really thought about it. A "7" means SWB. A "9" means LWB. The last two digits are important as well. For example, 34 means fleet side. There are some excellent threads detailing the make-up of SPIDS. Also discovered the VIN is likely on the frame, near the steering box.

2. I didn't even think to look at the VIN per the description. Took for granted nothing was wrong.

3. When I looked at the SPID all I saw were balloons and ice cream. Didn't even notice the VIN was wiped out, the W/BASE was wiped out, and now that I know the make-up of the MODEL#, it's been pointed out the WB per the MODEL# was wiped out as well.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-23-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #35
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
With that and everything else that has been stated, it negates the fact the they are posting it as FACTORY and ORIGINAL. It's not, it's called false advertising. He probably got called out on it and that is why the listing was dropped. Too much wrong for almost 20k. And what's up with the rear panhard mount on the axle
Was wondering how long it'd take for somebody to question that lol From underneath it actually looks like a pig with lipstick on type truck. It's been cleaned and dressed up for a flip from the looks of it. This is the precise problem I have with curbers/flippers out there as uneducated people buy these trucks and then actually believe they are worth that price when they really aren't. It may have been the dealer doing it, or maybe the dealer was had by the original builders you just never know how far a long the line a truck has gone and been faked before somebody notices and calls it out.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #36
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Here's a link to a thread from a little over a year ago about how to spot a fake short bed. The thing I always look at is described and discussed starting at post 9. Based on this, I'd say this truck is a converted long bed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=652246
Ha ha ha..........That short bed is a "long" bed. Where in the heck do cut into a long bed anyway?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #37
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Ha ha ha..........That short bed is a "long" bed. Where in the heck do cut into a long bed anyway?
The curve at the front of the rear wheel gives it away, but the inside of the bed looks mint and untouched at least.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #38
Dave K.

Ahhh, the curve, that's why this thing didn't look "right" when I first looked at it.....

If I were going to buy a cut-down long bed and trust it I would sure have to know about the skills of the people that did it--and see how they spliced it. There are correct ways and incorrect ways and I've seen the latter result in some ugly messes--and an accident.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #39
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
Ahhh, the curve, that's why this thing didn't look "right" when I first looked at it.....

If I were going to buy a cut-down long bed and trust it I would sure have to know about the skills of the people that did it--and see how they spliced it. There are correct ways and incorrect ways and I've seen the latter result in some ugly messes--and an accident.
I've seen a lot of improper shortened trucks, so I stay away from them 100% of time and there's little resale on them in my area. I know some people don't care about having a "fake" swb truck, but I care if I'm paying good money for something that I have an original truck that's not tampered with and will be worth the same amount or more in years to come. At least in my area I do see a big price difference between a true SWB and a fake SWB. Also I prefer my SPID and VIN actually match the model of the truck lol

Old 02-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #40
Grumpy old man

The thing is for the 1,000 guys in here who know what to look for there is 5,000 guys who only see the pictures of the truck they want to buy and have no idea what's correct and what's not , it will sell for good money be it Relisted on eBay or in a Craigslist ad and the new buyer will eventually show up in here with a new thread reading :

Take a look at my all original high optioned short bed I just found !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #41
geunther

Too coincidental for me that the important parts of the SPID are trashed. Trashed, and made to look like it was accidental. In my book, thats intent.

That being said, this has been an interesting discussion. I don't think its been a waist of time. Personally, I like to see how critical we can be as a group, but I am from the "its got to be correct" group. (But, I also accept and appreciate all the custom skills far beyond mine that are on this site.)

If I did not trust my buying skills I would certainly feel comfortable posting something I was interested in and waiting for all of you to weigh in.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #42
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What's up with the cobbled up track bar mount?
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #43
Jab3232

Man lol nice drama, great catch hook and I love the read where u said u bid to buy it.
Jab3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #44
FirstOwner69

Quote:
The curve at the front of the rear wheel gives it away, but the inside of the bed looks mint and untouched at least.
The bed wood is not correct. It's been replaced and should look mint. Original wood bed floors were, I believe always, painted body color on top and were black on the bottom.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #45
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Either I missed it or they hadn't posted the under-carriage. Maybe my high bid was too much after all........Ha!, JK.

Found one other interesting piece of info. on the truck, thanks to said source of great information. The seller did the right thing and removed the ad, so I won't bag on them. Possible they may not have known any better. At the end of the day some might call this truck Frankenstein's monster, but it's still a cool little truck.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

Earlier today I didn't look too hard at it before posting. Still haven't looked at all the pictures. I look hard when buying. But, that belt moulding on the driver side bed is all out of shape. The bedsides don't match the tailgate since shortening rquires painting.

The only proper LWB to SWB conversion, in my eyes, is use frame, glovebox door, VIN-plate, and title from donor SWB. I had a crapped out '71 K/10 SWB I bought to convert a LWB. I had to back out of it and had no problem selling the non-running, sat since '93 rusted out body (but good frame) truck for $1,500 to someone who wanted to do what I had planned. Those four things were all that mattered. You can buy a brand new bed.

20+ years ago I made a C/20 Stepside into a SWB pro-street Stepside. That one I wasn't concerned with appearing original. I had the frame cut, 4-link back-halved, then I shortened the bed

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:50 AM   #47
mike16

spid damage is susspect, ditto on the inconcistancies. even an origonal spid can be inaccurate. I have a 68 k20. everything on the spid is on the truck. but there are additional things, minor things, like arm rests that are on the truck from new but are not on the spid. arm rests are an example but there are other HD equipment onthe truck that is not on the spid. my truck has less than 13k miles on it and bought it from a used car lot selling it for the origonal owners wife. it was bought new locally and has never left town. 8 mpg? go figure!

nice truck from the view of us uneducated.

never knew the spid rpo for a wooden bed.

that panhard rod, whats going on there.

I seen that solution when a wheel base was altered and one side ended up shorter and crooked compared to the other side.evil and trecherous handling.

the semigloss black paint all over the bottom of the truck is suspect. it origonal ? but its also very obvious that it was sprayed on later and all over everything and from only one angle.

if you look inside the aircleaner horn there is lts surface rust,

the hood is new?

to me the description does not match the vehicle nor the price, I would pass. I hope the dealer did not take a hit.

Last edited by mike16; 02-24-2016 at 12:59 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #48
MY67GMC

I would be concerned about what appear to be new rivets on the door jam vin plate.
MY67GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #49
Dave K.

Folks, we are in a very unique time--everyone and their brother and mother is a flipper. The scammers watch the auctions and eBay and then try and mirror things often with poor results for the buyers. Buyer beware has never been so true and that's in part why I stick to nice originals rather than someone's restoration. I wouldn't buy a restored truck without heavy documentation--and I mean heavy! If you can't show me the pre-bodywork shots, the pre-paint shots and receipts for engine work then I would never buy a vehicle claimed to be restored and asking crazy money......
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #50
Dave K.

One other observation--that spray on beautifier--anyone noticed a lot of cars on eBay and other sites have this? A good pressure wash, let dry and then commence to spraying. It standard fare at these smaller shops trying to spin for big bucks.....