The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
58CameoAZ

Re: stripping paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut Way View Post
So these disks, from my understanding now, we're developed by 3m for cleaning gaskets off of intakes and heads while in the vehicle still. Apparently they were having problems with mechanic's cleaning gasket material and debris with 3m scotch bright pads, small metal shavings from the pads were entering the motor and causing bearing failures and problems. So these were developed. Now nobody jump down my throat about that story but that's what I have always been told.
As far as how much paint they will remove, I've taken out thick body filler with them, so as many layers as you'd want really. They work really well. More pressure you put on em the quicker they wear. I just let the disk do it's job.
Hope it helps excuse my spelling
My Son just Graduated from UTI and was accepted into the Cummins Diesel power generator program and the instructors there had told him the same about engines that had failed or broken due to the Roloc disk's being used on them. they told him that they were to only use plastic scrappers when removing any gaskets on an engine. from what he said they had done numerous test and found them to be a big culprit. My Son works at Empire Cat now and they told him the same to only use Plastic scrappers on there gaskets also.
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #27
Wingnut Way

Glad to hear that and congratulations to your son! I went to NADC myself, auto body course tho. Show how much times have changed, guess I should only use a plastic scraper from now on. Last I heard no scotch bright and no roloc scotch bright, now no finger disks 😔. Next we will have to remove gasket material with are fingernails lol.
Wingnut Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #28
_Ogre

i had 58 truk sand blasted and have experienced no warped metal
the metal on these trucks is thick enough that most any experienced sand blaster can do it
sand blasting works fine on our trucks, media blasting typically will cost a lot more cuz it takes more time

if you have a big enough compressor and the time to apply to the job you can diy
i blasted my frame at home and decided the whole body would take me a week of 24/7

use sand

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #29
58CameoAZ

I have to say i have used Sand and now have switched over to Tractor Supply's Black Diamond (Fine) Media and for 8 Bucks a 50# Bag i think it works really better then the sand.
Just Saying,
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote