The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
Skeetman

Re: Effect of wind on these trucks, is it just mine?

Titomars,

"The up-scale squares (Silverados) of ours came with an upper weatherstrip. I have seen them in Classic Industries catalogs. LMC carries them too. When I was with various GM dealerships we used to add them on customers trucks for wind and leak issues of a non warranty nature."

I have looked for the upper weatherstrip and cannot find anything from the suppliers you have mentioned. Do you have any more information?
Skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetman View Post
Titomars,

"The up-scale squares (Silverados) of ours came with an upper weatherstrip. I have seen them in Classic Industries catalogs. LMC carries them too. When I was with various GM dealerships we used to add them on customers trucks for wind and leak issues of a non warranty nature."

I have looked for the upper weatherstrip and cannot find anything from the suppliers you have mentioned. Do you have any more information?
here you go skeetman:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=21
LMC: the one you what is item #2
Classic:
http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/pw1173.html
Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
Skeetman

Thank you Titomars
They list the weatherstrip-on-door for the 79-81 but should fit an '85
because the weatherstrip-oo-cap is the same for 73-87
Its worth a try.
Skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #29
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I have owned a 73, 76, and 83 square. All had a lot of wind noise on the highway. The worst is my current 83, which I think has to do with the drip rails and aftermarket door seals, as stated above. I hear that Precision brand is the best, so I might try that in the future.
I eliminated the drip rails on my 83 and put all new door seals when I had her painted and she is still noisy at highway speeds
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #30
Woodyboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
We used to fluff/puff vehicles for executive use,
Ok, I'm going to show my iggernence here. What does "Fluff/puff" mean?
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #31
TKCR

I have an 86 C10, the wind noise was just terrible, especially on the highway. So I started with all new seals, I did the door opening and all the seals on the door itself and new window sweeps. I then had my vent windows restored by Precision, which included new seals. I've had it out several times and I am happy to say, the truck is soooo much quieter. I also bought the seals that go on the upper part of the door sash, but I don't feel the need to install them now.

And BTW, I didn't need to silicone the vent window like some people have said after getting them restored.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #32
Woodyboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
...I then had my vent windows restored by Precision, which included new seals...
I've priced those and I have to say that this is an expensive solution. But I'm really thinking that, given how much the wind noise aggravates me, it would be worth it. I figure that, by the time I get my truck to the level that I envision, I will have put way more into it than the truck is worth but the joy that I will get from driving this truck on a regular basis will have its own intrinsic value.

Am I alone in this thinking?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #33
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
I've priced those and I have to say that this is an expensive solution.
Well I kept mine at a cost I could justify, I didn't do a full restoration. I kept my glass, frames were not rusted, so I kept them too. My latches were in good shape. So basically they cleaned up the sash & frames and repainted. New seals and springs. My total cost was $110, plus the cost of shipping both ways, but that was too bad.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #34
Woodyboat

Cool! So that's $110 EACH? ...or both together? Just to be sure, you sent in your glass, frames and they did everything else? In the photo, there is all new rubber. That was included?

That's great!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #35
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
Cool! So that's $110 EACH? ...or both together? Just to be sure, you sent in your glass, frames and they did everything else? In the photo, there is all new rubber. That was included?

That's great!
I sent the whole vent windows assemblies into Precision, along with the new seals (precision seals) and springs. I had bought everything to restore them myself, but found that they were pretty difficult to do. So that $110 was for both assemblies. That was basically just for the labor, since I had already purchased the materials. And because they were able to reuse my frames and glass and handles, that kept the cost down.

So understand, when Precision quotes that high $ amount for restoring vent windows, that is because they are replacing everything. Thats glass, seals, hardware and frames. Most of the time the frames are rusted beyond repair. So depending on the condition of your vent windows, you can adjust those prices if they are able to reuse most of the assembly itself.

Here's some pics of them after I got them back in door.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Woodyboat

Ok, that's good to know. In my case, I really don't have anything except the glass itself and even it is pitted. Judging by how nice yours looks, I think I will just go ahead and get the whole enchilada from them in spite of the cost. It seems like it would make life easier.