The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #26
68blazer

Re: Sell...Don't Sell

Remember you asked, there will be a day in the future were you will have the time and money. The truck looks like it can still run and if so why aren't you making the same memories with your 2 lil ones that You have? If it don't run put around $20 a check back in a separate account till you do have the money. It's small enough that you won't miss it but eventually will accumulate to a large sum. In the meantime it shouldn't cost you too much just sitting there and you will forever kick yourself for getting rid of your dads truck. The only reason I am building a 67 project is because it reminds me of my grandpa and when he taught me how to drive. Maybe due that with them or by the time you met back up with your dad they would have enough money (many $20 deposits) to fulfill their dads wish of rebuilding his dad's truck. Your welcome
68blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
Mike C

Get it running and drive it. There is NO reason it has to be restored or have $10,000 spent on it. But if you don't HAVE to have the money, don't sell. That money just gets spent on bills and that's a lousy swap IMO.

I've had more fun driving my '69 short bed the last year with it's original paint and just wheel/tire lowering setup than anything in a long time.

I will help you trouble shoot why it's not running if you want. What part of Austin are you in? North or South?
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
Dad's72

No pity party. Just venting my frustration. I want to get out running but every time I seem to save up 3 to five hundred to do something to it something always seems to come up. That picture was taken in front of my parents house. I plan on towing it over to my house and back it in my garage. We just had the Lonestar Roundup here in Austin and I got to see a bunch of nice trucks. I would love to be driving it around as is. I need to figure out what is wrong with it. It will cost me a bit because the suspension is shot. I can bottom it out by pushing down on the bed and I'm sure the breaks and hubs need replacing before it can be driven. Just seems like one thing begets another before it can be driven safely.
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #29
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Get it running and drive it. There is NO reason it has to be restored or have $10,000 spent on it. But if you don't HAVE to have the money, don't sell. That money just gets spent on bills and that's a lousy swap IMO.

I've had more fun driving my '69 short bed the last year with it's original paint and just wheel/tire lowering setup than anything in a long time.

I will help you trouble shoot why it's not running if you want. What part of Austin are you in? North or South?
Awesome gesture. I live in South Austin. That is an issue for me. I can replace anything on a vehicle but diagnosing isn't my strong suit.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #30
Mike C

That figures, I'm in way North Austin. But I will be happy to figure out a weekend day where we can spend a few hours looking at what might need to be repaired or replaced. My truck sat in the shed at the farm for 12 years. It needed brakes done and fuel system flushed but that was about it.

Where is your parents house? I can help with moving the truck as well. Right now my weekends are a little nuts with helping coach my kids lacrosse team, but that is over in May.

The truck is WAY more fun to own if you can drive it even to Home Depot on the weekend.

Everybody is entitled to at least a SMALL pity party now and then.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #31
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Cover it up and keep it for later. The amount of money you sell it for now will have no profound impact on your life.
^^^ This exactly,it's not like it's gonna cost you to keep it around and it's not going to fetch so much as you'll really benefit. Or just get it running and drive it as is and use it as a truck. Restored or unrestored you'll enjoy it regardless.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #32
Mmorgan32

Find a free weekend and figure out what I needs to get it running. My truck is not a 20k truck it's a 3k truck and I got it running and over the 2 years I've had it I do thinks every now and then to make it more comfortable and reliable to drive and mine is my daily driver. It's an old Chevy even if u have to get a new engine u can get a used one for very cheap but if it just needs a few parts it's not hard. Buy a book on Chevy engines and get your hands dirty. My son is 2 and every day he asks me to go in the garage just so he can sit in my truck. Memories are priceless.

I don't have a lot of money I work a blue color job I pay rent and bills but my dad has a beautiful 63 vette that will be willed to me one day and I would have to be homeless to sell his car. I know what it means to him and he has had it my whole life. I can't recall everything we ever did together but I remember all the time I spent it the garage under that hood
Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #33
72c105speed

So where's the help get my truck running thread?

You need to drive it and you'll change your mind!

I've taken mine apart and miss driving it already...

Keep it! Ask my family it's an obsession!
72c105speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #34
BigRed76

Get it running and drive it and your feelings will change. Just because you can't dump $10K into it right now doesn't mean anything. It doesn't have to be rust free with a fresh paint job to drive it and appreciate it. That's my 2 cents.

1970 Chevrolet Custom Camper K20
1971 GMC Super K2500, 12V/NV4500 swap in progress
1971 Chevrolet Custom C10
1972 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C20, 5.3/4L60E
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 455/TH400, 3.73 posi
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD, LB7/Allison, CCSB
2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3/4L60E, CCSB

BigRed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #35
66clow

Hold on to it you will wished you had. Find a cheap engine and put in it. Get it running and fix it up as you go. It doesn't have to be perfect. The hard times pass. Find some odd jobs put a little in it as you go. Hook up with some c10 guys in your area they will help you work on it. Go to some car shows to get you motivated and meet some good folks to help. Don't give up. This is what I wish I had back except the mustang.
Well I have the green 69 still.

https://goo.gl/photos/THVmjQCmMa9gqWPv7
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #36
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Well dude.............I think most of us have been there. I've owned my truck since 1989. At 54 years old, I'm just getting around to restoring it.

Of course rust is a concern. If you're going to keep it, I'd clean that up ASAP, especially now that it's inside. I don't know how much of an inconvenience it is to store your truck........But imagine yourself after you've sold it, even 20 years from now.......Do you visualize yourself thinking "DANG IT!, I wish I hadn't sold that truck?".....Would you?

As you grow older, I would imagine your finances will be in a better way..........Additionally, I can guarantee that truck is worth more to you than anyone else today, and tomorrow. Then consider you may have the option to leave grandpa's restored truck to one of your kids.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-14-2016 at 01:40 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #37
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I agree with the idea of keeping the truck but have another thought. You are 37 and at this time of your life you are busy with family, career and everything else that comes along that you need/have to do. Okay when you get a couple hours to your self if you have the truck you can go poke and putter with it and that is your time. Its been 30 years for me but I was where you are now with kids, job, bills and everyone wanting your time and attention. I always had an old vehicle around during those years so if I got an hour or two or an afternoon to myself I would go putter on the old vehicle. I restored a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T I bought in 1985 and it took me until 1991 to get it done. Over those years that car was my escape and any free time I had I was looking for parts ( no internet back then ) or removing something form the car and detailing it.

Sorry to be so long winded here but the bottom line is that you need something for you and what could be better than having your Dads truck that has always been in your life sitting waiting for you.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #38
streetstar

It needs $500 and a couple long weekends to square it up

Just do it

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 AM   #39
El Dorado Jim

Unanimous! keep it, I think you would be sorry if you sold it, because you will never get it back, like others have said, get it running and drive it, fix it as you can afford it, that is what I do....I wish I had my dad's old 64 chevy pickup, I bought it from him ,had it for a couple of years and sold it, that was in the 70's and I have no way of tracking it down...I grew up with that truck...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #40
ksshane

Do not sell that truck. You will regret it, I guarantee it.

You have a great story, and I cant even imagine the sentimental value.

If I were you. I would just put it aside, and one the weekends start making a list. What are the basics to getting it road worthy, what hop ups would you like to add, and what would your dream be in the end....
Id start with the basics of just getting it back on the road... try to get your kids involved a little. Explain to them the history of the truck and how it tied you and your dad together... Once you get it running you can start reliving that....
Then start working on your hop ups or maybe even your dream build.... Or shoot... you may find that just having it road worthy and the occasional hardware store drive enough to fill your needs. And thats perfectly fine...

My truck will never be a car show vehicle or a full resto... but its something me and my son will always have.

Dont sell the truck... trust us on this one
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #41
A1971Blazer

It's like eating an elephant............one small bite at a time.......
we all get those visions of grandeur and want to dive in wholeheartedly....then reality sets in...

If you have the time.......you don't have the money..
If you have the money.....you don't have the time....

and that's not just you..it's all of us who are captured by the memories, the sentiment, and the nostalgia of these old trucks....

It's ultimately up to you....to sell or not sell....you've heard all the opinions...some from experience....but rest assured of this one thing....

If you sell....the truck will be gone, and soon the money will be gone too....leaving you with nothing....... except perhaps one more regret....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #42
Tdrcreyn4

Don't sell that truck. Family connection and childhood memories cannot be gotten back. I got my dream truck (1970) K20 when I was in my mid twenties then found myself in a similar situation as you with two little kids a wife with cancer and a job change. I sold it and it took me 20 years to get another. It's not costing you anything sitting in the corner. I agree with earlier posts, do a little bit at a time as you can afford it. Your situation will loosen up at some time and when it does you can do what you want with it. Good luck.......don't sell the truck.
1970 K20 350/350/205 - sold
1969 K20 396/400/205 - work in process
Tdrcreyn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #43
hdff

i agree with everyone here, don't sell it! put a little into it to have it safe to drive and drive it with the patina. do a little here and there as you can to get it where you want it. if that is not possible clean some of that crap out of the garage and put her in there out of the elements until you can get to it. you said that you can do some of the work, so if you don't have 10k do little bits at a time. you will regret selling it!!!

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #44
ksshane

Oh and once you realize what a mistake selling it would be. Look up your local C10 group. We have a great one here in Kansas, and Im sure you have some great ones there in Texas.
They can be invaluable for helping you track down parts much cheaper than trying to buy them from some online store.
Shoot.. I have some side molding that look like would match up perfectly for your missing side moldings, I would give you if I could figure out a way to get it to ya.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #45
cooperhw

DON'T SELL THE TRUCK. YOU WILL REGRET IT, BUT IT WILL BE TOO LATE.

You are thinking of this as a whole project and overwhelmed. Kinda like looking at a whole forest that needs cut down with just one saw. Yeah, looking like that it seems out of reach.
Make a list of what it needs to start. (not start, stop, drive, go to shows, etc.) just to start. Probably a short list. Work on that. You would be surprised how much satisfaction you can get just firing the old girl up.
Next make a list on what it will take to drive out of the driveway to the corner stop sign and back. (No windshield required, just brakes, etc.) work on that.
You see where I am going with this???
Take small bites and get started, you got your whole life to work on "Your Dads Truck".
The first step is most times the hardest. Make the lists and start checking items off the list as you get to em.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #46
ho70

It isn't costing you anything. Keep it an do what we all did, once your kids are older, you'll have time and maybe more money then
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #47
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
That figures, I'm in way North Austin. But I will be happy to figure out a weekend day where we can spend a few hours looking at what might need to be repaired or replaced. My truck sat in the shed at the farm for 12 years. It needed brakes done and fuel system flushed but that was about it.

Where is your parents house? I can help with moving the truck as well. Right now my weekends are a little nuts with helping coach my kids lacrosse team, but that is over in May.

The truck is WAY more fun to own if you can drive it even to Home Depot on the weekend.

Everybody is entitled to at least a SMALL pity party now and then.
My parents house is in South Austin as well. We are about 5 miles apart. This is an awesome offer. I will take you up on it for sure. I am pretty busy on weekends right now with T-Ball games and practice. I will PM you and I will get some stuff together and maybe you and help me figure out why it doesn't run. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #48
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mike C, awesome of you to offer your help! That's what makes this board great!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #49
Dad's72

I guess that answers that. Thanks for support. I was getting in over my head trying to get ahead of myself.
The truck is at my parents and will be moved to my house shortly. My garage is empty and it will be out of the elements soon. The rust on the other hand is not visible in the pics. They drip rail is rusting through in some areas and the windshields are rusting through in some areas. Along with the floor on the inside by the rockers where the windshield was leaking into the cab from all the years sitting outside. The truck has never been garage kept except for the 6 years I had it in the garage of my other house. I will take some more pictures of the bad spots to see what y'all think. Those are the parts that I was finding daunting.
I guess my game plan going forward will be to get it running, overhaul the brakes and hubs, overhaul the suspension with new springs, and replace the missing trim that someone stole off of it while it was outside and try to enjoy it a little bit. I'm going to have to scrape some cash together to get started.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #50
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

At least you have a game plan now and can start looking on here to see how you want the truck to set. Seeing how you have to replace the springs, might as well go with drop springs. These trucks look awesome dropped a little and even look cool with factory steel wheels with or without a hub cap.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote