The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
pritch

Re: Can we see pics of your windshield washer mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Pritch: same here on using the original bottle. Wow, how do you see the fluid level on that black bottle?
I have an electric sensor that lets me know when it's out. I flip a switch on my dash, and if nothing happens, time for more!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
AlbertaClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972_K5 View Post
I used a generic pump from NAPA and mounted it next to the tank on the fender. I had to re-route some of the water lines but it uses the original tank and plugged into the washer/wiper switch. It pumps way better than stock and my feet don't get wet from it leaking any more.

I did something similar on an old truck I don't have anymore (no picture), but instead of mounting the pump on the fender, I attached it to the original tank bracket. You could drill a couple holes through, use some clamps painted to blend in, or some strong adhesive or glue would work. The fluid would come into the pump from the top, and leave on the side that goes toward the engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
AlbertaClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 AM   #28
In The Ten Ring

What I have decided to do is this: I bought a generic pump from O'Reilly's since I don't ever think I'll make time to hit the local junkyard.

I am going to make a bracket out of 1/8 inch steel and bolt it onto the side of my original washer bottle bracket. I am going to wire that up to the original switch and run the hose through the outer fender, via an extra hole I am going to drill. I plan to run the wires along the top of the inner fender.

I'll post pics when done and I hope to get my dad to help with the wiring since I am a complete noob when it comes to that sort of thing.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #29
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711805
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #30
custom10nut

Save the accolades until after it works. LOL! I'm hoping that it does, but if not, I have access to two S-10s, so I can use a set up like Andy's
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Well here is an update. I cut out a bracket from a piece of aluminum sign and it's very close to the template I made.

However, it does have a bad flaw.....one of the mounting bolts is very close to the pump itself and there simply is not enough room. I am going to try and fix that without having to rethink the bracket design altogether.

I'll get pics up as soon as I make any real progress towards fixing this design oversight.

GOT IT MOUNTED. I cut out three aluminum shims (spacers) but only needed two in order to give me space enough to screw on the lock nut that holds the pump bracket to the bottle bracket. I used #8-32 machine screws 3/4 inch long to mount the pump to the bracket & 1/2 inch long machine screws to mount the bracket to the bottle bracket. I used a washer to separate the new pump bracket from the OEM bottle bracket to give space to the washer bracket's machine screw heads. I used lock nuts as I thought these might be better than a lock washer and nut.

I like this set up as it keeps the pump attached to the washer bottle bracket and yet out of the way. I will wire into the original control after the truck is reassembled.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 08-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Update on this mod for those who want the electric washer jugs and spray nozzles on the wiper arm. I bought a electric GM 90 model truck washer jug with external pump. Sorry don't know exact model the body was gone all it was only a frame.

Doing some searching on the net and I think these are what I have on the 71.

They are very close if they aren't. E bay listing
97-98 Buick skylark, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Achieva 98, Pontiac Grand Am 98
93 up Chevrolet Lumina, Beretta, Corsica
Another quick search on local LKQ yard has plenty of vehicles form this list. I go one day and get all of them I can find.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #33
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Andy, they call that "wet arm" washer system.

I have a 1 gallon jug with built in pump made for motor homes. It fits between radiator and fender. A wet arm would be nice
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #34
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Can we see pics of your windshield washer mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
Andy, they call that "wet arm" washer system.

I have a 1 gallon jug with built in pump made for motor homes. It fits between radiator and fender. A wet arm would be nice
I have this type setup on both my trucks now.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Can we see pics of your windshield washer mod?

For got to add the switch wiring picture. Here is how you wire the pump.

The pump gets 12 volts straight off the battery. The ground runs back the switch so that when you push it in it grounds the pump and sprays water.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #36
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I really want to figure out a way to use the original tank on my Panel build, because I have the only black one I've ever seen:

But for my pick up, 'Ol Green, I used one out of a 10 year old Kia.
Though it probably won't squirt as strong as the newer pump, you can get yours working by just priming it with a squirt bottle , until it starts coming out at the windsheild. I was going to replace my stock one until another board member suggested the priming.
BTW, I also have a black bottle that I found in a 67, and was wondering how common they are.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote