The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Re: My defroster covers interior with moisture

That truck is sweet! A great example of how the camper rigs make great survivors. The '71 Cheyenne Custom Camper/20 I had was from the same type of owner, only he didn't live as long. He was a stickler, I could tell. In the camper compartments were band aid boxes with all the bulbs the truck used wrapped in paper towels, a box with extra tear drop lenses for the camper lights, as well as tail light lenses, all this was labeled, all the paper work since purchase, looked like it never sat outside, ash tray never used, all 5 tires matched, etc.

I remember seeing the GVW and net weight shown on right front lower bedsides on trucks in Missouri and other states west of the Mississippi in the '70s when I'd drive out west. I came back East and painted it on my truck and everybody asked about it. I never asked here if members knew what that was about, but figured it was required.

Is that step bumper chrome? Looks like a chrome '72 GM bumper. I think the offered them chrome in the accessory catalog.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-13-2016 at 06:55 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Ed F

Beautiful truck! Congratulations and welcome. Other may correct me but I think the 8 in your tire size would be 8 ply or 8 ply rating
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: My defroster covers interior with moisture

Larry,
you are correct, it's a dana 60. we had a 69 CST shortbed fleetside in the shop yesterday for some a-c work and parking it next to yours would have made a sweet calender cover picture. his is solid black, lowered, factory buckets and other goodies and straight as an arrow. original and custom side by side. he goes to most all the local car shows so maybe you two will see each other and get that pic !!!
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I think that bumper company must be the one who supplied GM for the (one year only) factory '72 step bumpers. Your wheels would have been silver originally, as '69 used silver in place of white on bumpers and wheels. Do what suits you with your truck, but I highly recommend you reconsider the poly cab bushings. You want the cushion that the OEM rubber mounts give. Just get new ones, the only thing wrong with yours is they are 47 years old.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: My defroster covers interior with moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think that bumper company must be the one who supplied GM for the (one year only) factory '72 step bumpers. Your wheels would have been silver originally, as '69 used silver in place of white on bumpers and wheels. Do what suits you with your truck, but I highly recommend you reconsider the poly cab bushings. You want the cushion that the OEM rubber mounts give. Just get new ones, the only thing wrong with yours is they are 47 years old.
Tim,
i agree with you 100% on using rubber cab bushings, poly bushings throw everything out of alignment AND remove any flex between the cab and frame. as far as the rear step bumper goes, my parents ordered a 69 CST from our local dealer and it had the same bumper as Larrys truck. i remember polishing that bumper before one of our deer hunting trips, my brother was following us in the dark and he had to stay far behind us because he was getting blinded by his own headlights.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
Old 05-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I think I saw those bumpers in chrome when I lived out there in the '70s. Both trucks that had them here were pre-72. GM only did that style for the one year (painted), which is not typical for Chevrolet. The design is the same as '73-up, except those are 8" tall, not 4". These are the only stamped bumpers made the way the c-channel style that GM offered in the years prior were. Same in that they drop 4" bringing the top of bumper lower for an easier "step" that allows room for a foot between dropped tailgate and bumper.

Back to your steam problem. I'm curious to learn what you find. I'm stumped till then. It seems it has to be a seal of some sort, since the heater system is sealed from outside "air" and anything that blocks air will block water

Tim

Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
larryboy_3t5

So were those bumpers dealer installed items? I was going to sell it. Maybe I should store it.

I will bow to your collective wisdom regarding the cab mounts. I was thinking poly for longevity. I wasn't aware they caused other issues. So any advice on who I get the mounts from? Are there good and bad ones out there?

It sounds like the heat/defrost and fresh air systems are separate. That was going to be one of my next questions as I didn't know. I thought there might be a possibility the heating system drew air from outside. If that's the case, I'm leaning towards a small leak in the core. I know I'm not smelling it but like a pipe smoking detective once said, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

1969 Chevy C20 Camper Special
1968 Chevy C-10 short/fleet
1970 GMC Jimmy 4x4 (SOLD)
larryboy_3t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
hdff

Nice truck!!!

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
larryboy_3t5

Red face Re: My defroster covers interior with moisture

Thanks, HDFF. I didn't have time to read more than the first page, but I'm sure this fix was there somewhere. A buddy told me about ground pepper as a stop leak. I finally believed the heater core was the culprit so I put two table spoons in my radiator before a took a 150 mile trip this morning. Put the temp to full heat so coolant would circulate in the core the whole trip. Ran defrost on high when I got home. NO FOGGED WINDOWS! Apparently the pepper will fill and expand in small pin holes but won't clog other stuff like the tubes in radiators. He had a pin hole in the radiator of his Mustang and tried this trick. Said he's been driving it for 5 months without a problem.

So, all you guys who voted "heater core" were right. I couldn't smell any coolant but my theory is that it was a very small pin hole that was spraying a very fine mist in the box. I hadn't run the heater enough since I bought it to notice the loss of coolant so it fooled me and others into thinking it was something else. I'll let you guys know if it returns in the rain but for now it appears to be fixed. Now for the leak down issue in the carb.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Talking Re: My defroster covers interior with moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy_3t5 View Post
Thanks, HDFF. I didn't have time to read more than the first page, but I'm sure this fix was there somewhere. A buddy told me about ground pepper as a stop leak. I finally believed the heater core was the culprit so I put two table spoons in my radiator before a took a 150 mile trip this morning. Put the temp to full heat so coolant would circulate in the core the whole trip. Ran defrost on high when I got home. NO FOGGED WINDOWS! Apparently the pepper will fill and expand in small pin holes but won't clog other stuff like the tubes in radiators. He had a pin hole in the radiator of his Mustang and tried this trick. Said he's been driving it for 5 months without a problem.

So, all you guys who voted "heater core" were right. I couldn't smell any coolant but my theory is that it was a very small pin hole that was spraying a very fine mist in the box. I hadn't run the heater enough since I bought it to notice the loss of coolant so it fooled me and others into thinking it was something else. I'll let you guys know if it returns in the rain but for now it appears to be fixed. Now for the leak down issue in the carb.
i guess if you start sneezing you'll know for sure
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I guess red pepper might plug a leak but would make it run hot, huh?

Tim

Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
larryboy_3t5

UPDATE

The pepper worked until a couple of days ago. The core started leaking like Niagra Falls. Luckily it was coming out of the drain in the cowl and not in the cap. Just a little drip in the cab. Bypassed the core for now. It's in the triple digits here now so won't be an issue. My 08 Ford F-250 is for sale. When that goes I'll have the $$$$ for the Vintage Air upgrade. I'll save all the stock parts in case the next owner want's to return it to factory original. So maybe under dash vents.

TTFN