The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #26
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: OPINIONS: 400 sbc top end upgrade

Don't destroke a truck engine. They require more revs and make less torque. For a truck you want to build for torque. You might check summit and some of the other performance companies to see what they have in a top end kit. They match heads, cam intake and carb to each other and can make pretty decent power for a reasonable price. The real power will be in matching the components to each other.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #27
xxblade31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Powermaster makes a nice 105amp alternator, they have the highest idle amperage rating which is great because the highest load will be at idle. I have a 120 amp alternator that doesn't make much idle amperage, and when I'm sitting at stop lights and the electric fans come on, I have all sorts of annoying issues.

Also for a big stereo system it's a really good idea to get a capacitor, which basically collects amperage from the charging system and feeds it to your stereo at a consistent rate whether your charging system takes a big hit all of the sudden, for example, a part of a song with big deep bass notes while headlights are on and E-fans all come on at the same time.
I was looking at the powermaster 150 amp. I haven't had a problem with the radio as far as a capacitor but i can add. where do you add that to the system ?
It seems I have a one wire alternator. I was going to get this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster-...3D400301093711

i need a cool mounting kit for it too.
xxblade31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #28
xxblade31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Don't destroke a truck engine. They require more revs and make less torque. For a truck you want to build for torque. You might check summit and some of the other performance companies to see what they have in a top end kit. They match heads, cam intake and carb to each other and can make pretty decent power for a reasonable price. The real power will be in matching the components to each other.
I will be talking with summit for there advice on the top end upgrade.

I have to price the whole thing out. to see if it cost effective to do the top end vs. the dart motor i posted previously.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #29
Wide Open

I have personal experience using Brodix Track 1 heads on a 406.
The heads worked great for what I was wanting (engine was put in a 87 IROC not a truck).
I had the steam holes drilled in the heads and also had a coolant crossover plumbed at the rear of the intake to improve cooling.
It was kind of a max effort deal probably not directly applicable to what you are wanting to do but it was a beast to say the least.
Callies crank and 6" rods. Lunati camshaft that I don't remember the specs but it was a 3000-7000 rpm range and would rev to 7,200 in an instant. I used a Barry Grant carb but can't remember if it was an 850 or 950.

I think you can pretty much take your pick of modern cylinder heads and have good success. Like someone else said earlier I wouldn't destroke a truck engine because you typically want that off idle torque not rev's in a truck. Big block cubic inches in a small block package is tough to beat.
2007 Escalade
Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
The Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblade31 View Post
I will be talking with summit for there advice on the top end upgrade.

I have to price the whole thing out. to see if it cost effective to do the top end vs. the dart motor i posted previously.
Just keep in mind that the motor you posted has more than $5500 dollars in parts alone which automatically makes me wonder where the corners were cut if that's the price for a complete engine.
The Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #31
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblade31 View Post
I was looking at the powermaster 150 amp. I haven't had a problem with the radio as far as a capacitor but i can add. where do you add that to the system ?
It seems I have a one wire alternator. I was going to get this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster-...3D400301093711

i need a cool mounting kit for it too.
That is an awesome choice for an alternator and will be more than enough for your setup and even still if you did E-fans or air bags or anything really. 12SI is definetly the way to go, and that particular peice is very nice looking. I got my mounting hardware kit on eBay I'll try to find it.
Attached Images

Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #32
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chainsaw View Post
Just keep in mind that the motor you posted has more than $5500 dollars in parts alone which automatically makes me wonder where the corners were cut if that's the price for a complete engine.
Have to agree here, this is a really good point and something to consider. I don't see how it's possible with those parts to build and sell an engine for 5500 bucks and not loose a ton of money.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #33
xxblade31

Hey Guys

There just finishing my wilwood disc conversion. I am starting to think on the motor now. what do you guys think about the 406 sbc vs the 572 bbc for the truck is the bbc to heavy is a 500hp 400 better ? because its lighter. the truck is street truck.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
mud.man.rj

A lot of good ideas here for your build but think you need to sit back and consider your long term on the truck and end expense, cubic inch's rule when moving a heavy truck, big blocks cost a lot more and more fuel too so another concideration, remember you are building it for you and it matters what your use of it is, long distance or just around town, daily or weekend. Hard to beat a 400, cam, set of good heads and intake and will move a heavy truck with loads of torque, I usually build a big block myself but if I bought a truck with a 400 would prob just build it. Keep us posted.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #35
Wide Open

Are you going to be towing? I don't see a hitch but I see the connector so I assume you have a hidden hitch.
A 572 will ultimately make more power. Or at least is capable of making more and will have a torque advantage but it will also suck some gas. A built 406 is nothing to shy away from because they can make some big power too and are certainly lighter. For a street rig that isn't a serious tow machine I'd probably go with the 406.
Posted via Mobile Device
2007 Escalade
Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #36
xxblade31

Thanks for the input.
My truck just gets driven on weekends. the hitch came with it the po towed a little trailer to car shows. I think im just taking it off. Undecided on that.
The mechanic I hired had a small herd of c-10 in his shop including his. They all had big blocks. His is a show truck.
I was there yesterday the brakes look sweet. lots of odds and ends to clean up. but getting ready for the heart transplant ( engine).
I think im doing a new harness first though. the truck has original wiring. it works just old.
I did get the alternator 150 amp power master smoothie, It charges like a champ. I will try to get some pics.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
jus2qwk

okay so Im no engine builder but I have had a few 400 in my truck since I built it. originally I was gonna destroke it and build a 383, talked to some of my drag racing buddies and they said why in the world would you destroke it ( no replacement for displacement) so I built an extreme budget 406. the magic to a 400 is getting rid of the original rods and pistons. On the extreme budget engine I went with a set of good factory rods out of a 350, aftermarket piston, and stock closed chamber heads, comp cam and an aluminum intake. and that thing would put a 350 to shame and was built out of junk. on my new 406 I went with a 6 inch rod and a short piston, aluminum heads, air gap intake and custom ground cam and the new engine is unreal. no its not making 700hp but I think its around 500 to 530 which in a street car/ truck is more than enough to scare who ever is in the passenger seat.

So in conclusion. my suggestion to you is. pull the 400 out of the truck, put a 6 in or 5.7 rod and a good piston in it. a decent set of heads and a lumpy cam. paint it up nice and enjoy it. you can do everything I said fairly cheap. if you are really wanting to spend a lot of money swap a LS in it and you wont be disappointed

also a 2 bolt main is better than a 4 bolt main on a 400. the walls are thinner so the 2 bolt is preferred.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1103c...chevrolet-c10/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598758
jus2qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #38
jus2qwk

here is what mine sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3iAbX2_f7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwSZiANquUQ
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1103c...chevrolet-c10/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598758
jus2qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #39
xxblade31

Your truck sounds great. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #40
xxblade31

Almost done with the new rear disc kit.