The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #26
midniteblues

Re: So I walked into NAPA today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
took four auto parts stores to get a set of HEI wires for a 350 today im thinking you have to have an IQ of a baked potato go get a job in an auto parts store now

It took me 4 different stores just to get a black distributer cap. All were gray dark gray or blue.

I think a lot of the lack of normal parenting has too do with the way the economy has been with both parents needing too work full time jobs. And having more work time than home time.
But like I said normal parenting there are a lot who just don't care.

Pushing buttons and staring at screens are turning kids into brainless zombies who don't want too learn too use there hands for anything else but buttons,cause it's too hard.
This does not apply too all kids though.

I have one auto store "the closest one" I won't step foot in anymore.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #27
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I hear what you're saying but I disagree about it being the fault of the economy. Both parents only need to work if they want to look better than the Jones'. You, as a parent, need to did what is more important. The future of society or having the latest SUV-boat-whatever.

At work we deal with 2 local jobbers and a NAPA. They all have very good countermen. Especially at Dakota Auto Parts and A guy named Jade. I smile a little inside each time he answers the phone because I know it's gonna be right and fast delivery. Plus my time on the phone with him is very limited. "Jade, Todd at Dave's. 2002 Impala 3.8 K, I need lower intake set, thermostat, upper plenum, GM coolant elbows, square gasket under throttle body and tensioner pulley". He replies with "got it, I'll send it all". Done. When that vendor's countermen answer they already have a pen in hand and notepad. They do short hand notes and get me off the phone and back to work as soon as possible
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #28
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
-"I need a clutch kit for an 81 GMC truck."

"Parts" guy - "Is that a manual or automatic?"

2 or 4 door came after that didn't it?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I hear what you're saying but I disagree about it being the fault of the economy. Both parents only need to work if they want to look better than the Jones'. You, as a parent, need to did what is more important. The future of society or having the latest SUV-boat-whatever.

At work we deal with 2 local jobbers and a NAPA. They all have very good countermen. Especially at Dakota Auto Parts and A guy named Jade. I smile a little inside each time he answers the phone because I know it's gonna be right and fast delivery. Plus my time on the phone with him is very limited. "Jade, Todd at Dave's. 2002 Impala 3.8 K, I need lower intake set, thermostat, upper plenum, GM coolant elbows, square gasket under throttle body and tensioner pulley". He replies with "got it, I'll send it all". Done. When that vendor's countermen answer they already have a pen in hand and notepad. They do short hand notes and get me off the phone and back to work as soon as possible
That is a very blanket and ignorant statement to make and says a lot about you. - You think you have it figured out for everyone, everywhere, all across the entire country? What's a three bedroom house cost you out there sport? What are your property taxes? I have to gross $20K a year JUST TO PAY PROPERTY TAXES for fix-er-upper 1,700 sq foot house. Do you think my wife and I wouldn't prefer that she stay home and raise my daughter as opposed to both of us running around like crazy people trying to fit everything we need to into a day?

I'm not the least bit concerned that my daughter will grow up to be a mindless zombie. We limit her TV time as much as is reasonable and whenever I am with her show her and talk to her about everything "daddy" is doing. My parents both worked when I was a kid, my mother a LOT on top of going to school for years. I work on my own cars, I fix my own house, I worked my A off going to school full time while working full time - I think I turned out OK. And I did not have a luxurious child hood, it's just that both of my parents HAD to work.

By the way, if you're concerned about your man card you would be worried about LOSING it. Not LOOSING it.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 06-14-2016 at 12:22 PM.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #30
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
That is a very blanket and ignorant statement to make and says a lot about you. - You think you have it figured out for everyone, everywhere, all across the entire country? What's a three bedroom house cost you out there sport? What are your property taxes? I have to gross $20K a year JUST TO PAY PROPERTY TAXES for fix-er-upper 1,700 sq foot house. Do you think my wife and I wouldn't prefer that she stay home and raise my daughter as opposed to both of us running around like crazy people trying to fit everything we need to into a day?

I'm not the least bit concerned that my daughter will grow up to be a mindless zombie. We limit her TV time as much as is reasonable and whenever I am with her show her and talk to her about everything "daddy" is doing. My parents both worked when I was a kid, my mother a LOT on top of going to school for years. I work on my own cars, I fix my own house, I worked my A off going to school full time while working full time - I think I turned out OK. And I did not have a luxurious child hood, it's just that both of my parents HAD to work.

By the way, if you're concerned about your man card you would be worried about LOSING it. Not LOOSING it.
Pretty sure that is a direct attack on a member, and against the rules.

This is a nice place, no trolling please.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #31
AnotherWs6

I hear you, I'm not trolling at all. I think that the comments made were an attack on any parent who works and has a working spouse. And ignorance is something we all posses. I'm ignorant of millions of things, but I try not to make derogatory comments in public about them.

Someone who makes blanket comments meant to cover millions of people all at once will indeed be saying something about themselves. Another thing that I think most of us are guilty of time to time.

The comment made is taken as a ding against me and my wife. Let me remind you just how specific the comment was. --- both parents """""""""""ONLY""""""""" need to work """"""""IF"""""""""" ---

The gentleman making such comments should be mindful of this being a nice place. I do not enjoy being attacked regardless of whether I am singled out or part of a group.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #32
ERASER5

Quote:
I hear you, I'm not trolling at all. I think that the comments made were an attack on any parent who works and has a working spouse. And ignorance is something we all posses. I'm ignorant of millions of things, but I try not to make derogatory comments in public about them.

Someone who makes blanket comments meant to cover millions of people all at once will indeed be saying something about themselves. Another thing that I think most of us are guilty of time to time.

The comment made is taken as a ding against me and my wife. Let me remind you just how specific the comment was. --- both parents """""""""""ONLY""""""""" need to work """"""""IF"""""""""" ---

The gentleman making such comments should be mindful of this being a nice place. I do not enjoy being attacked regardless of whether I am singled out or part of a group.
Exactly like YOU ARE DOING. Todd deals with a lot everyday. I am not here to tell his story. Just know, he has a lot on his plate. Yet he still keeps a sense of humor.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #33
AnotherWs6

Does having a lot on one's plate entitle them to make derogatory comments?

Does having a lot on one's plate mean that recipients of such comments should quietly accept them?

Pointing things out is not the same as attacking someone.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #34
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Does having a lot on one's plate entitle them to make derogatory comments?

Does having a lot on one's plate mean that recipients of such comments should quietly accept them?

Pointing things out is not the same as attacking someone.
I was born and raised on LI, NY. No way in heck I could stay at home and raise kids there. I get what you are saying, but you are seriously getting over worked about it sport. Everyone has an opinion, and I see no use is getting into a pissing war with someone over theirs. One thing I noticed in the many years since I left NY... everyone there is so mad about everything, everyone gets so offended and everyone thinks their opinion is the only one. I have family up by you, in the city and on the island.. miss it tons, just showing how any statement can be taken as a blanket assy one if read that way.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #35
Front Range

The comment about parenting was an opinion. Here's a counter point without the personal aspect.

Example: "Many parents across the US are barely making ends meet. They are under extraordinarily high pressure, and both are forced to work. It takes all their emotional & physical effort to keep the relationship intact, kids happy, sanity intact, and bills paid. I am one of those parents and I can tell you from experience just how hard it is and how angry and frustrated I get trying to keep it together"

Point gets made, attack never happens, space is shared without conflict but both views are expressed.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #36
TwoFiftyShifter

20,000 a year in property taxes! That is painful. One of the reasons I left NY. Although 7500- 10,000 was more common in Orange County.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Lets get this thread back on track.. I was raised in BROOKLYN and I have the typical Brooklyn Attitude ( which is why LIZ puts up with me) and Im not afraid to use it here handing out infractions and all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #38
AnotherWs6

Points taken, although I think a somewhat aggressive tone and real points were mistaken for an attack.

And yes, southern NYS is steaming pile of garbage for many reasons - in my opinion. It may take a year or it may take 5, but I am getting out of here if it kills me. BEFORE it kills me. I began life in Leadville Colorado. Most of my family lived there at some point and one side remains in Colorado, what little is left of that family. I moved out here for good when I was in 2nd grade. I went to one of the best finance schools in the country. I got a job in Manhattan before I even graduated. I actually lived there for a while. I've done my best to embrace it, or at least I did for a while but it's just not for me. I've nearly trippled my income since I graduated 7 or 8 years ago and I still drive the same pickup that I have had for about 10. It used to be nice, now it's not but I prefer it over all of the belly button bland things I see on the road every day. I'm an old soul who loves the outdoors and solitude. Don't get much of those things around here.

Anyway, I walked into my local auto parts store with the factory spacer that goes between the carb and air cleaner on my suburban. It had the hose that goes to the valve cover still on it. Well I had gotten a new, factory Camaro/Chevelle type open cleaner and lid from Classic Industries and the hose didn't work with it. I needed something that went from one size on on end to a different size on the other so I brought my little spacer and hose in as an example. (I knew - KNEW - I shouldn't have even been bothering to do this but I was excited so I did) I asked the kid if he had any hose or adapters that went from this size to another with it in my hand. He asked me if was for a gas burner and I thought, wtf does it matter if it's gas or diesel, but said yeah, it's gas. He then asked me if it needed to be for high temperature. I said, kind of, I said I guess it might be able to get up to a couple of hundred degrees technically. He said, well we have some rubber tubing back there but I don't think it's meant for that kind of environment. Again I'm thinking wtf, but OK, whatever, I just asked him if he had any fittings or adapters that would allow me to change sizes. I knew he was gone at this point so when I got the expected "uuuuuh, no, I don't think so" I said thanks and left. As I'm walking back to my truck I realized why he had been so confused the whole time. HE THOUGHT I CAME IN WITH A GAS BURNER FOR A FURNACE OR SOMETHING!!! He thought the spacer itself was a burner and the hose was a supply tube I guess. And as I realize this and am thinking about what an inexperienced dope he was it dawns on me that he is probably in the store right now telling all of his co-workers how some idiot had just walked into an auto parts store with a burner from a furnace and asked for some crazy adapter hose.

I ended up making something work from what I had laying around. I also ordered a vacuum fitting for my new carb ebay and waited 5 days to get it rather than go back in there.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #39
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

I ended up making something work from what I had laying around. I also ordered a vacuum fitting for my new carb ebay and waited 5 days to get it rather than go back in there.
Now that is desperation....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #40
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
-"I need a clutch kit for an 81 GMC truck."

"Parts" guy - "Is that a manual or automatic?"

Ha Ha , I have gotten the same question, DUH! I really miss the old auto parts stores
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
...I was looking for the piece of hose and the T-fitting that attaches my new brake booster to the intake manifold.

Guy behind the counter rapped on the computer for what seemed like 10 minutes. "Err... Um... I don't think we can get that. Says it's 11/16" hose."

Hello?

Anybody have a source/part number for such a simple part? (I'm getting sick of the folks at all of the local parts suppliers giving me the BLANK STARE when I tell them I'm looking for something for a "1979 C10"
That has always been a "dealer only" item, as I recall. Not every part has ever been available at the parts houses. They don't know about them now because they never handled them ever. We as old vehicle enthusiasts need to know or vehicles and what we can get where. A parts guy with knowledge up and down both sides of the counter would have just told you, try a junk yard, N.O.S., or try a substitute. They only show the hose because that's what they can help you with. Parts for the 67-72s have never been so available as they are today...except when the dealerships still had stock. That is how N.O.S. got to be a hot item even before investors got involved. It was N.O.S. or used. I have been pulling fittings off of junk motors as long as I can remember. That's how us long-timers ended up with parts stashes. You either had to hope to find what you needed when you needed it, or get it when you saw it so you'd have it when you needed it. It's a "buy new" world and the tradition has been "if you want old stuff you are on your own". Before internet you had to be resourceful and really want it. It took a much bigger investment of your time and you had to want it. I find parts houses provide more now for my old trucks than ever before. Since I choose to drive old trucks, I need to know my truck. The industry mainly exists to support late models because that is where the volume/biggest demand is. Same as body shops focused on crash /insurance repair over restoration and why if they do take on old work it finds the back burner so often.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-16-2016 at 10:17 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #42
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Now that is desperation....

LockDoc
I'd like to think of it more as motivated ingenuity.

You'd definitely raise an eyebrow if you saw it being "made", but it works great and looks 100% fine installed.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:01 AM   #43
kwmech

Daughter (26) recently got 'laid off' from the parts store. She actually knew more than the manager, who got butt hurt a couple of times b'cuz customers would stand in line on her counter spot. So to boost his ego they put her into the delivery car to 'help out'. Yeah, that lasted about 3 days
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Sounds about typical these days, and not only with parts stores. Used to be a person was rewarded for doing their best. Now it's more how you were hired. There was a time when she'd have his job by now. But big business is blind at the top and too bust counting beans. You get more beans with more knowledgeable interested in learning more applied to the task people than a moron with a degree or certificate in biz mgmnt. Good people are the foundation to a business, not a piece of paper. Also, it's not what you know, but who you know. That's always been going on. Only difference is you used to also have to know enough, now you don't. Managers are more concerned with keeping their job than creating a top notch team. They take the credit for the good results and blame team members for their blunders.

I'm helping a guy build a house. There is also a young laborer who worked second half of the day while he finished his senior year of HS. He had been working there a while before I got involved. He was standing there waiting for me to mark and cut a board to haul it to his boss. I marked the length, realized he was just standing their, handed him the square and said, " Here, you mark it and cut it". He'll do whatever is asked of him. A great kid (going to college for electrical engineering). He marked it and said he had never used a saw before and I could tell he was nervous and probably a bit afraid of it. So, I took a minute and explained the only way it could kick back, just don't do that, "Oh, and don't put your hand where you are going to cut and you'll be fine". We both chuckled and he made his first cut safely and with confidence. The boss seemed disturbed that I took 3 minutes to do that. That little bit of time just increased the value of his help and made the overall situation a much better one. This is only one example of many.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #45
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

so Tim, what you are saying is that you live the way I do. Lift up those around you even if it means being the pedestal they stand on
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #46
davischevy

Tim's story about the young man sawing prompted me to see There is a bright side to all this.

Not all young people are idiots. The ones that do apply themselves and learn a trade are going to be in great demand.

We have a couple of young men now that I didn't think would ever make it and they are rising to the top.

Larry

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #47
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

yep, the reset button of society is about to be pressed and those with tangible skills will be in very good shape. I am one of those. I may not have the highest paying gig but I see the fruit of my labor and sleep very well.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #48
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Lets get this thread back on track..
I can help with that and bring a dose of levity. A few months back I busted my ass in NAPA. I paid for my stuff and turned to leave and tripped over some boxes on the floor that were part of a display. One second I'm tucking my receipt in my pocket the next I'm on the floor looking up at the gal that checked me out. I took the moment as proof positive there's no youth left in my bones. There's no way to gather oneself off the floor but humbly.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #49
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
I can help with that and bring a dose of levity. A few months back I busted my ass in NAPA. I paid for my stuff and turned to leave and tripped over some boxes on the floor that were part of a display. One second I'm tucking my receipt in my pocket the next I'm on the floor looking up at the gal that checked me out. I took the moment as proof positive there's no youth left in my bones. There's no way to gather oneself off the floor but humbly.
Lol, or as I like to say - hard to look cool doing that.

And as far as all young people being idiots, of course they are not. As i've - ahem - mentioned, I don't like blanket statements. But this thread is about auto parts stores and it is a sad fact that it's hard to find a store with people who know what they are doing. There are still some around, in my experience they are the ones that deal directly with a lot of shops. When Larry, Bill or Steve etc need a part in order to finish their next job they need to be able to call up and get the right one there quickly. But these stores are much less consumer friendly in that they are typically just a parts warehouse with a counter and the guys working there aren't going to deal well inexperienced non-car type people. They also don't have 12 different styles of chrome license plate covers, fuzzy dice, and a giant wall of tire shining stuff. That's my experience anyway.

Another good point I think - auto parts clerk jobs are basically entry level, at least at this point. So you will get young kids as well as adults without skills. The smart, motivated younger people will typically do well, gain some experience and then move on to bigger and better things. The crappier adults cling on. I just don't think that smart, talented people want to work their way to the top of an autoparts store and stay there. For the most part. It's a form of brain drain.... like how a large percentage of the smarter people in India come to the US and become doctors, computer guys, etc, leaving India with "crap" so to speak. I mean no offense. When I was younger I needed to stop working construction in order to focus on college full time. I couldn't work a job with rigid hours where I also had to travel. My wife (girlfriend at the time) suggested applying for a job at Bloomingdales. Against my will and manliness, I ended up accepting a job selling women's shoes because that's where the most turn over was so that's where they kept sticking the new inexperienced people. It wasn't long before I became the go to who knew how to handle every situation and how to perform every function possible in the computer system. I also made $50K a year doing this, which is unheard of. But it was commission and I was good. For the few years that I was there everyone told me that they were going to miss me when I was gone, and that there was no way I was going to stay there. There was no way someone so talented was going to sell shoes his whole life, and why the heck was I there in the first place? To use the job for everything I could get out of it until I was ready to move on. Which is what I did. The job treated me well, I was rewarded, and I'm proud to have had it.

Sorry for the long winded post and for bragging about being a shoe salesman, but to wrap all of this up, if it was possible for someone to start at the bottom of one of these stores, do well and become a manger getting paid $100K per year we would see a much higher quality of people working in them. There is really not much to work towards though in reality, so the only people that stick will generally be the ones with no options. Up until about 8 or so years ago there was still a store near me that was owned by a man who was forever building a big block powered gt-40 looking kit car in the garage bay that was attached. You could see it right through the window. At the counter. It had a loooong counter with floor mounted padded bar stools and parts catalogs all over it - neatly arranged. You would go in and flip through the catalogs until it was your turn to talk to one of the guys. It was great and the owner had obviously been able to earn a decent living while employing several decently paid guys. But I guess not enough of us value things like that anymore because he closed the store after decades. And now I have 5 stores within a 10 mile radius that sell chrome valve stem caps and air freshener. Great.

I'm not going back to proof-read this long A post, apologies for errors.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 06-22-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #50
davischevy

We deal mostly with O'Reilly. Our store has a commercial counter hidden in the back. The experienced guys get put back there. The experienced customers shop back there.

I have noticed the good counter people, grew up with fathers and grandfathers that worked on these old relics.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote