The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #26
100%Chevy

Re: Do you stock up on parts?

Are we talking hoarding here?
My best friend says-"Your wife's gonna be wealthy when you croak"!
I watch scrap prices like a stock broker watches stock prices!
I'm worse than most in that I have parts from about 20 different type/years vehicles stashed in my shop.
I use junk car and trucks for parts storage too!(and,in the house).
Mike./
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Do you stock up on parts?

I don't think I'm a hoarder. I prefer to think of it as a "parts fetish". My pictures are from a deal I couldn't refuse. I've had quite a few. But, I have redistributed out most and only have what I feel I'll need. I've helped a lot of people out. There is a touch of getting pleasure out of having some parts just because they are hard to find or valuable, whether I'll use them or not. For instance, I bought a N.O.S. Saddle steering wheel back in '91. I had two trucks with saddle, I love it, and will always want one with that color. I wasn't going to use it till I restored something. but, when it came time to use each time, I'd either use a Sport Grip (still have an Olds one) or find a used wheel in good enough shape. As a result, I still have that wheel 25 years later. When I put Saddle in my '72 I was going to use the Olds wheel, but found a really nice stock wheel with a couple cracks at the spoke/rim junction. I took the lace-on cover I had installed (in '89) on a wheel, that was now very cracked up from storing, and put it on. Looks as good as the N.O.S. would look. That's what I have now. Will I ever use the N.O.S. wheel? I dunno. Was it expensive in '91? Yes. Is it worth a lot of money now? A little more. Am I rich? Heck no! Do I want to sell the wheel? No. I now have a N.O.S. wheel for both of my trucks that I doubt I will ever install. They are an extension of the trucks I can have in my bedroom. But, hoarding them would mean having a whole bunch I could never possibly use. I just feel I am past restoring to pristine condition anymore, yet don't want to regret selling if I do decide to do them that nice one day. It's very likely these are the last ones I'll ever find (or afford).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote