The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
Coley

Re: Emp

...that way things are going this week with North Korea...I think I might pick up an extra set of points and a spare coil...lol
...and a couple of paper maps.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 07-05-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #27
100%Chevy

Adding to what has been said in above posts-
Keeping yourself in safety and supplies is number one!
During the hurricane Katrina landing here,nearly everyone lost their cars to flooding and storm damage.Everbody was walking somewhere.
Gas and water were the hardest things to find and those were rationed.
When your on your feet,you can't carry much either!
I stay prepared for these storms.
I have a diesel truck and hauled all sorts of stuff.Mostly water,ice,MRE's and fuel.
My neighborhood is on a community water system and I had a generator on the pumps,so we had water.
All stores were emptied fast!
We hooked a generator to the pumps at our local convience store so they could pump gas.The first day a man was shot for breaking in the line!
In the event of a power failure,all the above will happen.Bad things will happen.
Whatever you have,you must keep it hid and un-seen.Soon as it's known,you will be very busy protecting it.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #28
davischevy

It has already been said, but I think a running vehicle I can't get fuel for is at the bottom of my list. Water, food and ammo to defend them with are at the top of my list.

Community water systems is the business I am in, so I spend a lot of time thinking about how we, as a society are trapping ourselves, by depending on someone else to provide our water. Thank you for the work though.

Once the pumps shut down, the system will be out of water in a few days.

I have been planning a water collection, filtering and storage system here at the house.

A few years ago a speaker at a meeting I was at kept talking about his six month supply of food and water and the challenges of rotating stock. I told him if I had a six month supply of food and water I wouldn't be advertising it. He said he believed in sharing. I told him there's is a difference in sharing by choice or at the end of a gun.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #29
midniteblues

If we had a emp attack half the population wouldn't know what to do without seeing a tv.
That's when the real panic starts.

I figure a bicycle or horse would be best if traveling is necessary. The horse with a wagon would be a real benifit.

But these tv people wouldn't know what to actually do with a horse as they seen them on tv's but that's about it. If they got close to one they would be afraid. Half these people can't live in the same world as bugs.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #30
Coley

Agreed....a bike is still the worlds best mode of transportation, all things considered.
I don't have much faith in the probability of mass panic and hysteria....
Its like a power outage for a few days....everyone generally can and will make do without it being a big problem and certainly without a bunch of associated violence.
My two bits...

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 AM   #31
In The Ten Ring

everyone generally can and will make do without it being a big problem and certainly without a bunch of associated violence.

I'm thinking you don't live in a large American city.

After the derecho of 2012 hit my state and took out the power for a week in my area (4 weeks in others), I began buying 5 gallon gasoline cans with the goal of storing enough fuel to be able to refill both my car and truck plus keep 10 gallons on hand for my mower. I try to refuel my daily driver at the 1/2 a tank indication and no lower. I plan to install an all house generator and run it off my propane tank.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #32
100%Chevy

Being an electrician,I've installed many whole house generator systems over the years.
I prefer the Generac brand.If you do,consider the gas water heater also.Most people won't need such a large unit for short outages,when a smaller 6500 watt unit will do what's needed on a lot less fuel.6500 watts will operate a few lights,refridgerator and a small window air unit.Plus phone chargers,computor and other electronic devices.I use a Lincoln Ranger 8000 watt welder/generator for my house and it is plenty big enough for my needs.And,I can use it to weld also.
Since I'm in a hurricane prone area,I've always stored gas and other supplies to survive unknown problems and shortages.
Gas doesn't last long,so be sure to rotate it thru lawn equipment,etc., and replace with fresh regularly.I know there are preservatives to use,but it just adds cost and time.
Miike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #33
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
Being an electrician,I've installed many whole house generator systems over the years.
I prefer the Generac brand.If you do,consider the gas water heater also.Most people won't need such a large unit for short outages,when a smaller 6500 watt unit will do what's needed on a lot less fuel.6500 watts will operate a few lights,refridgerator and a small window air unit.Plus phone chargers,computor and other electronic devices.I use a Lincoln Ranger 8000 watt welder/generator for my house and it is plenty big enough for my needs.And,I can use it to weld also.
Since I'm in a hurricane prone area,I've always stored gas and other supplies to survive unknown problems and shortages.
Gas doesn't last long,so be sure to rotate it thru lawn equipment,etc., and replace with fresh regularly.I know there are preservatives to use,but it just adds cost and time.
Miike.
Neat info, thanks!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #34
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I like the Rambo method!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)